No announcement yet.

Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whoops. Life has gotten super busy here at chez Sabine, and I haven't checked this thread in a while. It is good to see some new faces.

I am still doing fasting, though I have transitioned to 4:3(fasting MWF, eating TRSU) as I am doing a practice maintenance. I'm planning on going back to weight loss mode in a month or so. Probably after Independence Day.

Veriria, that looks like a good plan with your schedule. Good luck on trying ADF. Remember, it does take a while to get used to. Don't be discouraged if you have some slips.

Labgirl, good job on giving up the soda. That can be a hard habit to break. And I hear you about how easy it is to slip back into old ways. I have had a few episodes of that. I find that three good rotations gets me feeling in control again, if I can just keep myself on it that long. It is great when you get into the zone again, and don't even think about eating on your Down Days.

Comment

• I have been trying to be at least 90% Paleo for at least 6 months; sugar and deserts are my problem. I also have been trying IF for a few months but am constantly starving. Right now it is almost 11 am and my stomach is trying to eat itself. Is this because I am not totally fat adapted yet? I keep hearing how people aren't hungry at all and I just don't understand why I am constantly so hungry...

Comment

• Bpmcadoo-Yes, it could be because you are still having sugar crashes.
        Or you could be eating too little. Are you restricting calories?

Comment

• Hmmmm.... I would say that I am trying to just eat appropriate whole foods until I am full which would be a reduction in calories from what I usually eat, but when you add 6-8 chocolate chip cookies and ice-cream to that, no I doubt I am not restricting calories. Also, the way my pants fit say "no" as well.

Comment

• Well, the cookies and ice cream might account for a sugar crash, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
              Well, the cookies and ice cream might account for a sugar crash, too.
              Would having that the evening before affect how I feel when I try and fast the next day? Ugh, trying to figure this all out is a bit frustrating!

Comment

• Originally posted by bpmcadoo View Post
                Would having that the evening before affect how I feel when I try and fast the next ?
                Yes, definitely! When you ingest sugars, your body produces insulin to deal with it. The more sugar, the more urgently your body views the situation. The insulin comes out, and packs the sugar away where it can be converted into fat, leaving your body with...no sugar. If you are fat adapted, your body then says hey, get some of that fat we packed into the cells, and turn it into sugar, we need it. If you are still used to burning sugar, your body cries out for sugar, setting you up to be hungry. (Obviously, this is just a simplified explanation. Lots of people can give you more details and science. The movie, 'Fathead' has a really good graphic of the process.)

How many grams of carbohydrate would you say you eat per day, both Up Days and Down Days? I know that neither primal or ADF are low-carb per se, but I have found that being low carb definitely helps for me. And being low carb on Up Days, at least in the beginning, as you are adjusting, helps very much with the hunger.

Comment

• I did strict ADF for two years to get to my goal weight, and I could NEVER have managed the 'down days' without low carbing to control my appetite.

I now cycle calories in maintenance, and the only reason I continue to eat low carb is that I've learned that I am extremely carb sensitive--more than 50g a day will sent my appetite into the stratosphere.

Such carb restriction isn't necessary for most people, but you can test to see what your own limits are if you want to manage you appetite for ADF.

Comment

• "How many grams of carbohydrate would you say you eat per day, both Up Days and Down Days? I know that neither primal or ADF are low-carb per se, but I have found that being low carb definitely helps for me. And being low carb on Up Days, at least in the beginning, as you are adjusting, helps very much with the hunger."

I really have no idea... I was trying to keep things simple by trying to just eat meat and veggies and not really count anything. I can say that the past three days I haven't put any refined sugars into my body. On my sprint day I added a sweet potato and pineapple to my dinner and I didn't crave ant sweets that night, next night I had some cherries instead of cookies, etc. Last night I had some nuts with unsweetened Cacao nibs and didn't feel any cravings, so maybe I'm getting the hang of things.

As far as hunger itself goes, I feel hungry around 10 a.m., but if I ignore it I haven't had any problems waiting until lunchtime. I am not allowed to eat at my desk, so if I don't eat at lunch I have to wait until I get home at 5:30 p.m. and I don't think that would be a good idea to do every day, would it?

Comment

I am not allowed to eat at my desk, so if I don't eat at lunch I have to wait until I get home at 5:30 p.m. and I don't think that would be a good idea to do every day, would it?
                      If you feel good doing it, it would be fine. Lots of people have all their food in a five-hour window with great success.

Comment

• I am unable to restrict myself with time at all--keeping calories down is enough of a challenge! On my low-calorie days, I typically eat 4-5 times with 50-100 cal 'snacks,' and that's what works best for me. It's almost all pure protein--tuna or salmon and egg whites mainly. I focus on getting in protein when I'm eating so little because I want to lose fat rather than lean mass.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                          If you feel good doing it, it would be fine. Lots of people have all their food in a five-hour window with great success.
                          Ha, someone just heard my stomach growl and I explained that I hadn't eaten yet today. Suddenly I am allowed to eat at my desk

Comment

As far as hunger itself goes, I feel hungry around 10 a.m., but if I ignore it I haven't had any problems waiting until lunchtime. I am not allowed to eat at my desk, so if I don't eat at lunch I have to wait until I get home at 5:30 p.m. and I don't think that would be a good idea to do every day, would it?
                            Not sure how I haven't found this thread before but here I am now. I just wanted let you know that on days that I work I don't eat until at least 4:30 but try to push it to 5:30.

I am doing a 4:3 right now. M-W-F or S are down days of at or under 500 calories. The remaining days I try to keep under 2,000 allowing myself no more than one "treat" a week, whether that is a piece of cake or a meal out.
                            Chris
                            "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                            Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Joining the discussion.

I'll go back and read so I don't irritate people by asking questions that were answered last week, but here I am. I just finished my first week of AIP UDDD and lost 6 lbs. I'd like to drop 10 more.
                              Janeen

Comment

• Originally posted by janeen View Post
                                Joining the discussion.

I'll go back and read so I don't irritate people by asking questions that were answered last week, but here I am. I just finished my first week of AIP UDDD and lost 6 lbs. I'd like to drop 10 more.
                                What is AIP?

And congrats on the luck, and best of luck on your program.

My 4:3 is going very well. I have lost about 7 lbs since my restart.

My work schedule was changed so I will be changing my down days to Sun-Tues-Thurs.
                                Chris
                                "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                                Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

Working...
                                X