No announcement yet.

Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These are my daily numbers from the first three weeks of the year, if anyone is interested in seeing what the normal fluctuation on ADF looks like. The bolded numbers are post-Up Days. The asterisks are when I ate wheat, prompting some bloat.

166.0 1/1/14
    163.0 1/2
    165.5 1/3
    162.0 1/4
    165.0 1/5
    163.0 1/6*
    168.0 1/7
    162.0 1/8
    162.0 1/9
    161.0 1/10
    164.0 1/11
    161.5 1/12
    166.0 1/13
    164.0 1/14*
    168.5 1/15
    168.0 1/16
    165.5 1/17
    161.0 1/18
    161.5 1/19
    159.5 1/20
    158.5 1/21

Comment

• Just checking in. I am nearly caught up with my numbers. I have gotten very lazy with calorie counting and am thinking about scrapping it on UDs all together.

I am up 3 pounds from last week, I suspect from a combo of 4 UDS in a row, lady hormones that are making me crave sweets, and the amount of beer and unhealthy food I consumed this weekend between hanging out with friends and watching/celebrating the Seahawks win on Sunday. I have also been unemployed since mid-December so I am not getting the amount of physical activity I normally would (I also hate the cold). I have a job starting next month hopefully if all goes well, so that would get me in a routine again. I've just been a bit depressed lately between not having the fulfilling aspect of earning a wage and my usual winter blues is making it hard for me to want not to hibernate.
      Blogging my weight loss experiment using alternate day fasting here:

http://tryingadf.blogspot.com

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• Elkay, good to hear from you. I'm sorry things have been so unsettling. I agree, having a routine, whether based around work or school, really helps.

I don't count on Up Days at all, and it has worked well for me. When I first read about the plan, I knew I could never sustain that kind of record keeping,, so I didn't even try. Down Days are easier, because I tend to eat fro the same limited range of things. Once you've had 4oz of fish three ties a day a few times, you know it is an appropriate amount. Ditto for six eggs.

Sadly, eggs aren't an option for me right now. I am dropping them (and some other stuff) for three weeks to test for food sensitivities. So, my food choices are kind of boring. But I'm plodding forward. The Down Days are helping with that. No decisions, no need to pick and choose.

I hope you come by more often. It is good to have your input and experience.

Comment

• Sabine - Oh wow, 3 weeks without eggs would be upsetting for me too. I feel like I rely on those and nuts on DDs. Are you feeling okay/having an allergic reaction or just curious?

Comment

• I'm doing the Virgin Diet (eliminate wheat, corn, soy, sugar/artificial sweeteners, peanuts, dairy, and eggs- supposedly the seven most common things to have sensitivities to) in addition to my rotation plan (wow! - I sound like a maniac.) And, of course, I' still doing ADF.

I don't THINK I have a sensitivity to some of these things, but I figured I should run the play as it is written. I have had a rather dramatic drop in my weight for the 8 days I have been on it, so maybe there ARE some issues.

Eggs and dairy will be the first things I try reintroducing, because it is a sorrow to not have those in my life.

Comment

• Hi all, I just found this thread (forgot Sabine had mentioned it elsewhere!) and am slowly reading through it. I started the UDDD about a week or two ago and was doing ok until I derailed over the last three days. I think it will be good to be on here where there are others doing the same thing and where I can see what you all are doing too. Support is so helpful for hanging in there when things get tough So today is a down day for me, after three up days of too many carbs. I want to get into a routine of what works for the dd's so I don't have to think it through too much. Confession - I do find it hard cooking and preparing meals for the family when I am hungry, I get jealous LOL. I also think that my UD snacking is not a good idea and that I need to keep my 'snacks' to veggies or fat instead of sweet things. Maybe if I just add a small sweet to the end of a big healthy meal I won't get so carried away then?

Oh, I am 48 years old, 5'7.5" and weigh 216.8 lbs today.
              Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
              Primal low: 186 lbs
              Current weight: 221.4 lbs
              Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Today I am going to have a low-calorie Down Day. Water during the day, and then a salad with lettuce, artichoke, bamboo shoots, and olive oil dressing for dinner.

I was reading the diet book put out by Dr. Varady, who has done a lot of research into ADF. She says that people who eat a small amount on their fasting days, lose more weight than those who do complete fasts.

I prefer the complete fasts. They are easier for me, and I also think the health benefits of the fasting are better with a 30 hours fast, rather than a 12 or 16 hour one. My weight loss rate has been good.

But, it seems like it might be worthwhile to throw in some low-calorie Down Days, here and there. So that's what today will be.

My weight today, after an Up Day, is 155. One pound away from my first goal!

Comment

• The salad-for-dinner Down Day was unsatisfying. Because of my rotation/elimination deal, I only had lettuce, bamboo shoots, artichoke hearts, and dressing. Next time, I will go for something else. Maybe the potato hack.

Ha!

No. I have a problem with potatoes. As in: I love them. But they make me crave things.

I think next time I want to do an eating Down Day, I will go for cabbage stir-fry.

Today I am doing a water and tea Down Day. The tea because since the weather turned so cold for so long, I have had a hard time getting in my normal amount of water. So, peppermint tea it is. The warmth WAS very nice this morning.

Comment

• Hi, I just wanted to mention how hard it is to fast while working in a kitchen(im a cook)
                    It is REALLY FCUK*NG HARD to ignore that toffee/chocolate and ganache cake when I walk near it. Although its only been 20ish days since I turned paleo and its less and less hard to ignore such things.

Thank you for letting me share my complaint

Comment

• Some days, it is hard. But hopefully you will get to the point where you don't really notice it. Right now, I mostly have no problems being around food on Down Days. I even enjoy making it and smelling it. But that's just my own kitchen-- I don't have to be around it for hours on end. That's a challenge! Good luck.

Comment

• Sabine - I had not heard of the Virgin Diet. I will have to read up on that. I have Varady's book on my wishlist.

I have found I prefer one late afternoon mini-meal on DDs. I can't snack throughout the day on DDs or I get too hungry if I break my fast early. I also make sure I don't water fast on days I have to drive/do anything very intellectual.

This Sunday I am having a very non-primal blowout since my Seahawks are in the Super Bowl, so I will try not to get on the scale until next week. Monday morning will likely be scary.

Comment

• Sabine, you are doing so well! Awesome stuff! I just did a down day after a few days of chaos due to trips out of town and hospital visits and Aunt Flo dropping in too. My weight was up this morning but I know it is just that time of the month so I am just ignoring it. This DD went really well. I am getting more used to what works for me. I like to have a boiled egg and half a grapefruit for breakfast and then nothing until dinner when I have a piece of baked salmon and a bunch of raw veggies with a little greek yoghurt dip. It works well for me. I am not counting on my up days as I can't quite fathom trying to keep tabs on everything on an up day as well. I guess if my progress stalls after a while, I would do that to see if I am shooting myself in the foot with too many calories. But for now I do an occasional check to get an idea of how far off I am and I am right on track or just below the calories recommended. I am really hoping this ADF will help me get back on track and kick the cravings too.
                          Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                          Primal low: 186 lbs
                          Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                          Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• I'm suffering through a cold right now. Yesterday's Down Day was easy, as I just drank water, tea, and broth. I might have another one today, although two Down Days in a row is not recommended. But I don't feel like eating. Best to give my system a rest, I guess.

Comment

• I am going to take some time to read the paleo book I have on my kindle and try incorporating paleo with my ADF instead of just regular food.
                              I have had a huge change just a week ago - my husband came home after 5 years overseas. We have been doing ADF together from different households and now we are doing it in the same kitchen. Very exciting and very challenging as we have different food tastes that we need to combine.

Comment

• Still here, chugging along, doing the ADF, and now working on reintroducing the foods I have eliminated. I found, to my dismay, that I have a sensitivity to eggs. I am hopeful that it is just the whites, but that is a trial for another time. Also reacted badly to cream.

My weight is bouncing around between 156 and 159. I am content for it to do so for a while, as I figure out these food sensitivities. Then, I'll be ready for another downward plunge. It will be exciting to be at 154.

Anyone else still around?

Comment

Working...
                                X