Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by labgirl View Post
    ... Somehow I have ended up gaining back 7 pounds ...was put on prednisone for 4 days...

...I am willing to accept that I did eat enough Wed through Fri to gain a couple of pounds...
    Medication can easily cause weight gain through water retention. Don't stress it.

And, not knowing what you ate, but if it included treats, your gain from Thanksgiving is probably also water weight, as your body is processing the extra carbs. I tried my best to eat hearty on Thanksgiving, and the day after(PIE day at our house) but when I looked at the amounts, it really wasn't even that much. It is HARD to eat an EXTRA 7,000 calories to actually gain two pounds of fat.

Not to be picking at you (hope it doesn't sound like that). I guess what I am trying to say is, I bet a few rotations, and you will be back to normal.

I went down 4.5 pounds after my first Down Day after Thanksgiving. Whoosh, goes the water weight!

Comment

• labgirl - Prednisone is known to cause rapid weight gain, it also ups your blood sugar levels which also signals to your body to retain weight. I had a similar reaction when put on Cipro, an antibiotic. I was gaining lbs back quickly despite doing ADF and not going on any binges.

I was bad over Thanksgiving (I tend to not bother going against the meal plan grain of the family, because I always get peer-pressured or guilted into eating something). I ate as I please from that Thursday to Sunday. I am scared to get on the scales, especially since I know I not only ate a ton of calories, but I ate a ton of non-primal food and carbs/sugars. I am going to try to stick to a more strict ADF plan (been at a 4:3 prior to Thanksgiving) since my husband is out of town for a work conference net week and I just found out I am getting laid off before Christmas at my job. It will take some self-control for me not to just buy a big bag of chips and some ice cream sandwiches and eat my emotions.
      Blogging my weight loss experiment using alternate day fasting here:

http://tryingadf.blogspot.com

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• I am finally losing the body aches that are a side effect of prednisone so I hope that means it is out of my system. I have had 2 down days and I will see what the scale says. My pants feel ok and my ankles haven't had the sock ridge on them so perhaps I am not so bloated. I was easily able to do my down day today - I actually forgot my shake tonight so I only had a shake and some crackers today. Not enough but I am actually pleased that the cravings were gone again.

Comment

• Lauren- So sorry to hear about your impending lay-off. Talk about stress. I hope you find something just as good or better, soon and easily.

I also ate as I pleased over Thanksgiving. I meant to do it for just two days, but ended up with four days by starting early. (Must learn to work with my present driving-long-distance habits or develop better ones!) I am already back to my before-Thanksgiving weight after two Down Days. Yay for ADF!

Labgirl- good to see that you are shedding the signs of the bloat so well...and that you are looking at the signs, instead of just relying on the scale number. A hard thing to learn. Good for you!

Still doing my extended fast. I think the habits I have developed with ADF are really helping.

Barnyard- did you give ADF a try?

Comment

• Another pound down (-36 lbs since April) and I'm now below what I was before the Thanksgiving holiday. I had planned to fast today but ended up having a couple cups of chai tea in the morning that took me over 750 calories. Oops. I am also not fasting Wednesday because I have a job interview and what to make sure my stomach isn't growling during my interview. I also caught a nasty cold on Saturday and have been in recovery since.
            Blogging my weight loss experiment using alternate day fasting here:

http://tryingadf.blogspot.com

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• I have broken my extended fast. It didn't clear up what I was hoping it would, but it was worth a try. Eating moderately Sunday, Monday, and today, and tomorrow will be a regular Down Day, putting me on the right schedule for our Christmas celebrations.
              I seem to be feeling stomach emptiness in a different place now, right up under my ribs in the center, more where I believe my stomach really is, from looking at the map. I am not associating any lower belly action with hunger/emptiness at all, any more. Interesting.
              I'm looking forward to the release of two ADF books after Christmas, from Dr. Johnson(new edition) and Dr. Varady (new stuff). I have them both on pre-order.
              Good luck on your interview, Lauren!

Comment

• Well, still plugging away. It doesn't make for a very active thread when all you have to say is, 'I'm doing it, and it's working'. But I am, and it is.

I have been flirting with the 150s after my Down Days, and hanging out close to 160 after my Up Days. Feel pleased with how I have gotten back into the rotations after my long fast.

I bought a pair of 'aspirational' purple jeans, size 10 at the thrift store. Just for fun, I tried them on this morning. They are snug, but I can get into them, and get them zipped without divine intervention. There is only a SLIGHT muffin-top effect. Size 10s! I can barely believe it. I think when I get to 154, they will FIT!

A friend told me 'you are getting so skinny.' I said 'thank you'. It is true! I am by no means SKINNY, but I am getting there!

And an acquaintance told me that I shouldn't lose any more weight. Well, no, but it was interesting to hear that for the first time. I guess a further milestone will be when someone says I have lost too much. Ha!

Anyone else still checking in?

Comment

• I still lurk!! It is wonderful to read how you are doing so well, Sabine. I did alternate day fasting and didn't fair as well. I seemed to go a bit (okay a lot..) overboard on my Up days. Now doing well with VLC and I typically don't eat, besides my coffee, before about 1pm. Weight is starting to move off... I am a bit worried about the holiday family buffets I am going to be attending over the next week. Trying to decide if I am going to hold strong to primal vlc or give myself some slack.

Comment

• I am still here and stuck - 2 pounds up since Thanksgiving so I am no longer at my goal of 185. I am happy though - I still mostly have the happy-go-lucky attitude talked about in the book and my feet don't hurt which is the biggest gain for me.
                    I will keep it up because I really feel good.
                    I want to figure out why the losses have stopped and that will probably involve some food-logging and cleaner eating instead of eating whatever I want because it is the holidays

Comment

• I am here.....or maybe I should say back?......I am doing my first down day today.....took me a while to try it but here we go! I have had about 200 calories today. 100 from cream in coffee, 2 tbsp, 100% fat. 30 from the packet of unflavored gelatin split between 2 cups of coffee, 100% protein. 60 from 5 oz of organic lowfat kefir (20% fat, 40% carb, 40% protein). 13 from 1 tsp of potato starch, 100% carb (doing otzi and tatertots resistant starch thingy too:-)). Care to analyze my macros? I have also done some light body-resistance exercises (pushups, pull ups, planks) and 3 miles of walking with a couple short sprints in there. I am currently at 184 lbs. Trying to get down into the 170's to start.....
                      The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 58, 6'0
                      SW - 192
                      CW - 180
                      GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Comment

• It is good to see you all.

Amy, I keep getting tempted by the holiday treats. It feels like it would be so easy to say, 'oh, well, it's the holidays' and just go for it. After all, the New Year is SO CLOSE! But I'm hanging in there. It seems like such a silly thing, but it really helps me to tell myself I can have whatever it is, tomorrow. Sometimes I even pack up a portion, to make sure I can have it.

I think, even with the overabundance on my Up Days, I will be exiting the old year at my lowest weight ever. It feels great!

Labgirl, I have noticed (and many on the lowcarbfriends forum say the same thing) that I will lose in chunks: staying the same, mostly, for several weeks, then a sudden whoosh. Maybe that is what is happening with you. Good to hear that it has helped so well with your feet and attitude. It is just NICE to be feeling good, isn't it?

Hey, Barnyard. Hope the Down Day finished well for you. I have yet to try gelatin on my Down Days, but I finally located some Great Lakes brand at a local store, so it is in my future. We all have such different philosophies about macros, that I would be hesitant to critique. I DO think that the fewer carbs you eat on your UP Days, the easier your DOWN Days are.

From my body's reactions, I consider myself fat-adapted now. When I fast, I seem to have no difficulty drawing from my body's stores. But if I eat too many carbs, I do notice a difference in my energy level, mood, and mind-hunger level the next day, as my body deals with the after-effects of a rise in blood sugar/insulin. It is easier to recover now, but still something I need to keep in mind.

Looking forward to the Christmas feasts. We celebrate over two days, so my plan is to enjoy myself thoroughly on the 24th and 25th, then have a good Down Day on the 26th to restart my rotations. I also have a special pampering treat planned for the 30th, to make that Down Day even easier. I have been wanting to try one of those body wraps for several years. But they are very pricey, and I am afraid I fell victim to the notion of 'not deserving it' until I had lost a significant amount of weight.

Well, I hope I am getting over that attitude, but hey, I HAVE lost a significant amount of weight. Decided to go for it! It is followed up with a half hour massage (even better!).

Comment

• So, I got thru my first down day, with about 500 calories. Not eating last night was tough, but I did it....I stayed with the water and sugar-free liquids. Then, I just made my first frittata with ingredients I had in fridge, onions, mushrooms, grass fed ground beef and eggs, and it's wonderful! So far today I have had 600 calories, with the only carbs coming from a small apple and whatever might be in the onions and mushrooms. My big test today will be an outing I am going to, with dinner, and there will be lots of not-so-primal food along with desserts.....will do my best to keep it under 2400 calories.....I have done a 1 hour walk and done some pushups and planks also....

M, 58, 6'0
                          SW - 192
                          CW - 180
                          GW - 165-170

Comment

• That's great, Barnyard. A common experience is for the first three Down Days to be the hardest, then they get suddenly easier.

Comment

• Just finished my second down day, had 600 calories today....I have come to realize that the Mag Citrate caps I take (15 calories each) and gelatin I supplement with (30 cal per packet) comes to 150 calories/day! Have to factor that in......gonna have 2 up days in a row on Christmas Eve and Christmas, back to a down day on Thurs.....

M, 58, 6'0
                              SW - 192
                              CW - 180
                              GW - 165-170

Comment

• I stuck with my Down Day yesterday, holding off on all the treats building up in the house. Made my special dessert yesterday evening, and it filled the house with its delicious aroma. Really looking forward to having it tonight.

Merry Christmas to All!

Comment

Working...
                                X