No announcement yet.

Quitting booze

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continued long-term practice of alcoholism always to death or insanity (or 'living hell'). How about visiting a local hospital that has 'wet-brain' ("living hell") patients. Maybe fear will help you to stop.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

This book was an eye-opener for me at a time when I was doing personal training with young men from a secondary drug/alcohol treatment facility. Now it makes perfect sense:

Sober...and Staying That Way: The Missing Link in The Cure for Alcoholism: Susan Powter: 9780684847979: Amazon.com: Books
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll check out the books. And I am quitting because it's a problem and I HAVE to, not because I just want to stop having a couple drinks now and then. Alcohol has cost me a job, a relationship, lots of sanity, money, and almost another relationship. I see a therapist but she just tells me to go to AA, so I was hoping to find some other things to do as well since AA doesn't work too well for me (at least thus far).
        "The mountains are calling and I must go."
        --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
        --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
        --Hyperlithic

Comment

Originally posted by Clymb View Post
          Thanks guys, I'll check out the books. And I am quitting because it's a problem and I HAVE to, not because I just want to stop having a couple drinks now and then. Alcohol has cost me a job, a relationship, lots of sanity, money, and almost another relationship. I see a therapist but she just tells me to go to AA, so I was hoping to find some other things to do as well since AA doesn't work too well for me (at least thus far).
          AA will not work for you until you work for AA. When you tried AA, did you get into service? Did you make coffee, help arrange the chairs, talk to another AA everyday, etc?

Comment

A while back, I also had the NEED to stop drinking. I, like you, was NOT interested in AA (just not my cup of tea) so decided to look here on MDA for any insights and came across a post by "Jo" that mentioned a book called Easy Way to Stop Drinking by Allen Carr. I had been drinking well over a gallon of rum a week for years (sometimes much more)! I was drinking every night... Won't get too far into my issues but I took a chance and ordered the electronic version. I read it the first time and it made sense but I wasn't quite ready, so immediately read it again and stopped dead! No cravings whatsoever. Where before I would decide to stop via will power and would panic at about the 1 day mark and not even get ON the wagon, much less fall off! LOL

I will say that you MUST be in the right frame of mind for it to work though (and it sounds like you are). But it did for me and at least 1 other primal person on here.

If you're interested, here is a link:
            The Easy Way to Stop Drinking: Allen Carr: 9781402736476: Amazon.com: Books

Good luck! I know what you are going through and how hard it is!

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Cryptocode View Post
              Continued long-term practice of alcoholism always to death or insanity (or 'living hell'). How about visiting a local hospital that has 'wet-brain' ("living hell") patients. Maybe fear will help you to stop.
              Oh, come on now.

Comment

Originally posted by firemart View Post
                Oh, come on now.
                Tis true, unfortunately. Alcoholism is a progressive and fatal disease. A chronic alcoholic will almost certainly die of an alcohol related disease. If lucky, death will occur before wet brain. Do not confuse an alcoholic with an alcohol abuser. An abuser is a heavy drinker who may or may not develop alcohol related medical problems but can stop rather easily when he/she decides to do so. A chronic alcoholic can not stop drinking without substantial help, and, unfortunately, the majority can not stop even with substantial help.

Comment

Working...
                X