Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beginner here....weird question

Hi there,

Do you guys cut the fat of the bacon strip before cooking it? I read on the forum that if you buy grain fed meat, you need to cut the fat and stuff.....i can't get grass fed here because it's really more expensive and I'm a student...

thanks for your help.

That wouldn't leave very much bacon if you cut the fat off. O_O bac-un
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

I would personally advise you to eat half as much bacon but splurge on the grass-fed, or find a cheaper meat (beef, chicken). Or eat more eggs--organic eggs are only $4ish a dozen here. Animal products are only as healthy as the animal they came from. Grain-fed cows get e.coli, mistreated animals have high levels of stress leading to constant cortisol/adrenaline secretion which stores in their tissue, affects the immune system, etc. Of course, lots of people here don't think factory-farmed meat is bad for you. The decision is ultimately up to you.

Comment

Oh hell no. It's the best part. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're eating like 2 pounds of bacon a day. In which case, stop it.
        F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

No, you don't cut the fat off the bacon. You can find uncured bacon at Walmart. They have two brands, Hormel and something else, that I can't remember the name of right now. It might not be from grass-fed hogs, but at least the nitrite level is lower. Don't sweat the small stuff, just do the best you can with what you can find and afford.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndChance View Post
            I would personally advise you to eat half as much bacon but splurge on the grass-fed, or find a cheaper meat (beef, chicken). Or eat more eggs--organic eggs are only $4ish a dozen here. Animal products are only as healthy as the animal they came from. Grain-fed cows get e.coli, mistreated animals have high levels of stress leading to constant cortisol/adrenaline secretion which stores in their tissue, affects the immune system, etc. Of course, lots of people here don't think factory-farmed meat is bad for you. The decision is ultimately up to you.
            Pigs aren't ruminants dude. They'll starve on grass only diets.
            Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
              Pigs aren't ruminants dude. They'll starve on grass only diets.
              Yeah, I wasn't sure about that. I used to buy Applegate Organic Bacon. Definitely way better than the low-quality cheap stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by primalcanadian View Post
                Hi there,

Do you guys cut the fat of the bacon strip before cooking it? I read on the forum that if you buy grain fed meat, you need to cut the fat and stuff.....i can't get grass fed here because it's really more expensive and I'm a student...

thanks for your help.
                LOL.... NOOOoooooo. Do not mutilate your bacon! Forget the worries about eating grain fed.... that pales in comparison to reprimands for trying to create reduced fat bacon.

Comment

Organic grain fed > bacon that doesn't say what the pigs were fed (because it was gummy worms and sprinkles)

Comment

for the grain fed, i thought about chicken...and it's almost the double price here if I find grass fed..

Comment

If you can't afford bacon from pastured pigs I would limit it but when you do eat it definitely don't get rid of the fat!

Comment

Whole Foods sells organic (grain-fed, presumably) chicken really cheap. Trader Joe's is an option, too. Not sure what you have by you. Obviously the best option would be to find a local farm where you know exactly how the animal you're eating was treated/fed, but at least the organic seal guarantees that the animal didn't eat GMOs, gummy worms, ground meat, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndChance View Post
                          Whole Foods sells organic (grain-fed, presumably) chicken really cheap. Trader Joe's is an option, too. Not sure what you have by you. Obviously the best option would be to find a local farm where you know exactly how the animal you're eating was treated/fed, but at least the organic seal guarantees that the animal didn't eat GMOs, gummy worms, ground meat, etc.
                          thanks for the suggestions. I am in Québec city, Canada and we do not have whole foods and farms are far away. How much do you pay your chicken if you do not mind me asking.

Comment

Originally posted by primalcanadian View Post
                            thanks for the suggestions. I am in Québec city, Canada and we do not have whole foods and farms are far away. How much do you pay your chicken if you do not mind me asking.
                            I've been off animal products for the past couple months as an experiment (it is much cheaper and I don't feel any worse, better if anything). Whole Foods had 10 packs (I think it was 10) of organic chicken wings for like $3.00 US, not sure how much the whole organic chickens were, maybe $10?

I personally think you're better off eating no meat than low-quality meat, but that's just my opinion. I only eat organic and it's a lot easier and cheaper to get organic veggies, fruit, nuts than it is to get meat that meets my standards. If you live in a large metropolitan area I'm sure you can find somewhere that sells quality meat, just because there must be more demand for it than just you. Just keep poking around. Even my local grocery store sells organic eggs, so you can almost certainly find those, though.
                            Last edited by 2ndChance; 03-24-2013, 02:41 PM.

Comment

there was a study done by a tv program in my area about the organic label...and the conclusion is...not really more organic than normal food... weird, but I'll have a look around.

Comment

Working...
                              X