How do you all do on dairy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zach View Post
    So how do feel when you eat a banana and know that entire countries have been wiped clean to plant banana plantations. If you really cared about animals you would raise, gather and kill all your own food.
    I do what I can. I don't eat that many bananas, when I do I buy fair trade organic ones from a local health food store. I would gladly grow my own food but I live in an apartment in a city. It's not like I think I'm perfect.

(If you asked me, for example, how do I feel about my Mexico-grown avocados or how many paper towels I use, I would say, guilty. But one step at a time...)
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 03-24-2013, 02:39 PM.

Comment

We all do must do our part. I admire you for having empathy and sticking to your ideals. That alone puts you above most people. Everything we do comes at a cost though. When you lose sight of that, like most people have, through selfish self-preservation, that's where the problem lies.

In the end though, consuming fruit, or dairy, etc; it's all the same. Humans just need a lesson in humility, even if we're the top of the food chain.
      Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndChance View Post
        I do what I can. I don't eat that many bananas, when I do I buy fair trade organic ones from a local health food store. I would gladly grow my own food but I live in an apartment in a city. It's not like I think I'm perfect.
        Im just saying that i could make an argument for anything you eat as being harmful for animals. The only way you could not hurt animals by your dietary decisions is to be dead. Drinking milk, eating meat, eating fruit, its all the same. Thinking differently is just naive. Its all about creating as little impact on the planet and making the best choices you can. Not eating meat does not solve anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndChance View Post
          If I lived on a dairy farm in 10,000 B.C. Turkey, I would probably eat dairy products, too. But the imprint of man is so far spread... all the fish we eat is swimming in our Prozac shits (Anti-anxiety drugs leaked into rivers make fish antisocial - CBS News)... I wouldn't want to be milked, and I feel like if I eat dairy, I'm acting like other creatures don't deserve the same respect I ask for. I believe in karma... I'm not really here to convince anyone, just to spread knowledge, to spark conversation, get people questioning what they've always been taught.
          I was a vegan.

Karma is a complex issue.

Look, i don't want to be mean because I respect your choice... but the thing is - you're preaching. You're trying not to, but you are. Not that you're the only one doing it - there are plenty of preachers around here. But they're preaching the gospel of paleo

If you want to challenge paleo: whether that's through veganism or sugar, FINE! Just be forward about it. You'll be called a troll, but I think that's better than a preacher.
          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
            We all do must do our part. I admire you for having empathy and sticking to your ideals. That alone puts you above most people. Everything we do comes at a cost though. When you lose sight of that, like most people have, through selfish self-preservation, that's where the problem lies.

In the end though, consuming fruit, or dairy, etc; it's all the same. Humans just need a lesson in humility, even if we're the top of the food chain.
            Lol derp, get out of my head!

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
              Lol derp, get out of my head!
              Great minds think alike
              Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                I was a vegan.

Karma is a complex issue.

Look, i don't want to be mean because I respect your choice... but the thing is - you're preaching. You're trying not to, but you are. Not that you're the only one doing it - there are plenty of preachers around here. But they're preaching the gospel of paleo

If you want to challenge paleo: whether that's through veganism or sugar, FINE! Just be forward about it. You'll be called a troll, but I think that's better than a preacher.
                Well, you're preaching to me about preaching, so... *shrug*

I'm not really challenging paleo. Read my posts. I encourage people to only eat quality meat/eggs, buy organic...

Comment

No digestive issues.but it gives me terrible acne. So I abstain.

Comment

So I think milk, raw or not, is out for good. I had another glass last night and the same digestive issues. I had 1/2 C of homemade yogurt a few hours later, just made from regular organic whole milk, and it totally calmed my stomach. Go figure! I'm going to try raw cheese over the next few days to see how I do with that. So far I think I'm good with yogurt and cream. Yay!

Comment

I am exactly the same way - milk is a no, fermented dairy is fine. When I was a kid, grandma always soured the huge 3L jars of the raw milk into prostokuasha for me (basically when it splits into curds and whey with no added bacteria like kefir; she did throw a sour-dough bread rind (is that the right word?) in to speed up the fermentation), because drinking it raw caused me to almost throw up.
                      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I'm fully lactose-tolerant, but I rarely drink milk. I do make kefir, though, and drink it every other day. By the way, spiking kefir with heavy cream improves it considerably :-) I also periodically eat other dairy stuff (sour cream, yogurt, a variety of cheeses) and don't have any problems with them.

Comment

Originally posted by 0Angel0 View Post
                          I finished my first Whole30 a few days ago and last night I started reintroducing dairy. I had 1.5 cups of raw milk and 2T raw cream (OMG good!) but later I noticed some typical lactose intolerance symptoms esp nausea. It could have been from a crazy week, busy day, and poor sleep the night before though. Prior to the whole 30 I've never noticed any issues with dairy although I haven't had plain ol milk in ages.

I started with milk as it's been forever since I've had any and I wanted to see how I'd do. Milk I can take or leave but the raw cream was freakin amazing! I'm going to give the milk a few more tries just to see if I tolerate it well or not then move onto the types I'd include semi-regularly like yogurt and cheese. I think I'll stick to mostly raw from now on if all goes well since luckily here in So Cal it's pretty easy to get and far superior to pasturized, obviously.

I'm curious as to how well others do on dairy, how often you have it, and what kind?
                          I'm certainly no expert, but nausea sounds like a terrible side effect. Maybe dairy isn't for you. I've heard some people can do aged cheese, just not fresh milk or cheese. I do fine with dairy. Good luck to you!

Comment

I used to drink milk by the gallon - no longer.

Now I have a moderate amount of greek yoghurt. If I have too much I notice my sinuses feel weird.

Comment

I never really drink milk- the occasional whole milk latte is about it. I switched from heavy cream to coconut in my coffee. Oddly, I prefer coconut milk? Random. I cook with butter all the time, and do use some cheese as a flavoring.

I eat a lot less dairy these days, and I don't really know why. I guess it is because I generally like it with something- cheese and crackers or cream and sugar in my coffee.

I feel like I do fine on it. I just haven't had an appetite for it lately.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I love coconut milk and coconut cream just not in my coffee. Although I do like the occasional afternoon iced coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon in it. When it's hot I'd rather drink it black with a drop of liquid sucralose, just enough to take the edge off the blackness. I know I know! I just haven't read a single study that supports it being as bad as everyone makes it out to be, I hate all the stevia brands I've tried, and I consider it part of the 20%. I should try a tsp of xylitol/erythritol instead I suppose. Cream in my coffee is like a dessert to me now.

Cheese was the one thing I thought I was going to miss the most on a Whole30 but since I've finished I've had an oz and a half in eggs just to try out raw cheese and that's it. I'll probably still use it occasionally but not 2-3 times a week like before. The only dairy that upset my stomach was the raw milk I tried. As a whole I've always enjoyed all forms of dairy but it doesn't really appeal to me anymore. Weird how that happened!

Comment

Working...
                                X