A dilemma...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silvergirl View Post
    After doing something so strict as Medifast, I think it better for you to aim very high and do as close to 100 as possible. While I was in the diet phase of this program, I started on reg. 80-20 but found it easier to forget that stuff and just go strict.
    My plan for now is to definitely stay strict and try and be 100% primal. I do much better if I have it in my mind that there's no room for cheating. I suppose it's a scare tactic I use on myself out of fear of falling completely off the wagon. When I'm closer to my goal weight (which I'm actually not even sure I have one - it's more of a size I'd like to be), then I plan to switch to an 80/20 so I can relax and enjoy some other things on occasion without the guilt.

Speaking of goal weights, does anyone still firmy believe in the validity of BMI charts? If I go by that, I'd need to lose a minimum of 110 more pounds just to be at the highest weight in the "healthy zone" for my height. It just seems like there are too many variables for that to be accurate - such as muscle tone and such.
    33 F / 5'9" / SW 333 / SPBW 264/ CW 264 / GW 175
    Began Primal 3/25/13 after Medifast

Primal Journal: ksubeks

Comment

Originally posted by ksubeks View Post
      Speaking of goal weights, does anyone still firmy believe in the validity of BMI charts? If I go by that, I'd need to lose a minimum of 110 more pounds just to be at the highest weight in the "healthy zone" for my height. It just seems like there are too many variables for that to be accurate - such as muscle tone and such.
      It's not valid, but it's a start. You will need to make adjustments anyway as your body composition changes.

Comment

My plan for now is to definitely stay strict and try and be 100% primal. I do much better if I have it in my mind that there's no room for cheating. I suppose it's a scare tactic I use on myself out of fear of falling completely off the wagon. When I'm closer to my goal weight (which I'm actually not even sure I have one - it's more of a size I'd like to be), then I plan to switch to an 80/20 so I can relax and enjoy some other things on occasion without the guilt.

All good, hope it works out well for you. BMI is just an indicator really. Depends on bone and muscle too, but a useful start. I didn't have a goal weight but thought maybe 123. seemed reasonable for my age etc. but I plowed right through that. Seems once you get started and on a good routine it can be hard to stabilize. I feel better on being strict so I work to eat more good stuff
        Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
        Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
        Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Standard PB is 65-70% fat, 20% protein, 10-15% carbs. What are you numbers as %s?
          "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Cryptocode View Post
            Standard PB is 65-70% fat, 20% protein, 10-15% carbs. What are you numbers as %s?
            Monday: 62% fat, 27% protein, 12% carbs
            Tuesday: 40% fat, 41% protein, 19% carbs
            Today (so far): 62% fat, 29% protein, 9% carbs

So I need to replace some protein for fat??

Comment

You want to eat every day about the %s I gave. Tuesday you had too much protein and not enough fats. This is a HighFat diet. Wednesday too much protein and not enough carbs.
              "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Ok, I've had dinner and my numbers are sitting as follows...

29% protein, 12% carbs, 59% fat

I had 2 eggs and 3 pieces of bacon, 4 slices of lunch meat, 2 slices of provolone, some mayo and mustard, asst raw veggies at lunch and for dinner I sautéed chicken and asparagus in butter. Oh, and I made guacamole with 1/2 avocado, tomato, onion and lime juice. What else should I be adding to increase fat without adding protein?

Comment

Ok, I've had dinner and my numbers are sitting as follows...

29% protein, 12% carbs, 59% fat

I had 2 eggs and 3 pieces of bacon, 4 slices of lunch meat, 2 slices of provolone, some mayo and mustard, asst raw veggies at lunch and for dinner I sautéed chicken and asparagus in butter. Oh, and I made guacamole with 1/2 avocado, tomato, onion and lime juice. What else should I be adding to increase fat without adding protein?
                  My 2c worth is that you need to be eating more real meat and less processed meat derived foods. Think steak and eggs, or a lox omelet. Skip the bacon and lunchmeat. Also if you stick with red (ruminant) meat and seafood and stay away from the pork and poultry, you will get a better O3/O6 ratio and a higher fat/protein content. How about adding some coconut to your diet? Great MCT fats.

Comment

No, it's complete bunk once you are talking about individuals. Measure body fat % instead.
                    Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    My 2c worth is that you need to be eating more real meat and less processed meat derived foods. Think steak and eggs, or a lox omelet. Skip the bacon and lunchmeat. Also if you stick with red (ruminant) meat and seafood and stay away from the pork and poultry, you will get a better O3/O6 ratio and a higher fat/protein content. How about adding some coconut to your diet? Great MCT fats.
                    Yep. The fatty cuts of meat are very nutritious and more fat than protein. Although good (real) bacon is still pretty awesome.
                    Last edited by magicmerl; 03-27-2013, 06:23 PM.
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation of coconut. Completely forgot I bought some organic unsweetened flakes. I mixed 4 tbsp with an ounce of cocoa roast almonds for a little snack. Yum! Hard to believe those little coconut flakes have so much (good) fat in them!

Comment

Working...
                      X