A dilemma...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    If after a couple of months, you find that you can't handle the carbs (and I don't mean like 300 grams of carbs, I mean something closer to 100 grams), then move on to very low carb. I mean, I know it seems weird, but you actually CAN lose weight and gain control of your eating while eating a minimally restrictive diet, once you ditch grains, bad oils and processed foods.
    I definitely have found this to be true. I have never restricted carbs, except for one failed attempt to use VLC to manage my appetite. Still, my appetite for sweets has steadily decreased over the the last 8 months as my diet has become increasingly primal. I very rarely eat nuts straight, because they pack an amazing calorie wallop and minimizing O6 is a priority for me. I also never found very dark chocolate to be a satisfying substitute for sweet. A cup of chai or mint tea with 2tsp honey works much better for me.

I think the suggestion to replicate the Medifast structure with primal foods is a excellent one. I eat 4-6oz berries and 4oz yogurt almost every day for breakfast and 300-500 calories worth of dinner leftovers for lunch. Dinner is a lot more random, but the repetitive rhythm of breakfast and lunch is very helpful to me.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Originally posted by ksubeks View Post
      Thank you all for your input. I've decided to go ahead and switch to primal. I intend to be pretty strict until I've reached my desired weight. I'll plan on eating meat and veggies with a little dairy and nuts for snacks. I'll wait to add berries and dark chocolate until I'm at my goal. Does that seem like a good plan? Any recommendations?

Also, I'm looking forward to the physical aspect of the primal lifestyle. Can you suggest a good schedule for exercise? How much weight training, cardio or walking?

Thank you so much!
      WELL DONE!!!!

you will know what works best for you. will you need to be hard-score strict and avoid "indulgences"? i never had a sweet tooth so don't ever miss chocolate and such, simply because i never really ate it before. harder for me was eliminating grains and the cravings they drove. for that, i had to go vlc: no fruit, no berries, not even yogurt at the start. nuts are not an out-of-hand snack, but a garnish on salads or veggies, maybe once per week.

am only saying what worked for me. find your groove.

eat animal proteins and lots of veggies. if certain starches or fruits fit in your game-plan, then by all means enjoy. just focus on a wide variety of whole foods. the whole 30 challenge up top is a great one.

as for activity, just get moving for now. go for walks, park at the very far end of the parking lot, take the stairs, etc. mark just had a great post about quick resistance exercises that take 10 minutes.

stay on board and best of luck. you'll be so happy to have taken pro-active measures fro your health and life. congrats.
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I feel like I'm already over the carb and sweet addiction because of Medifast. However I might find that now that I'm not eating all those bars I'll start having a sweet tooth. I feel a little overwhelmed today wondering if I'm doing things right. Would you guys mind giving your input on my first few meals? Also, should I be tracking my calories, proteins or carbs? I didn't think we needed to but then I notice some people in the forums talking about tracking. I'm so confused...

Anyway, breakfast was bacon egg muffins I made in the oven - 2 slices of bacon mixed with 2 scrambled eggs and baked.

I have some raw veggies and lettuce wraps for lunch using 2 slices each of organic ham and turkey lunch meat with 2 slices of provolone (I love cheese). For snacks I brought some pistachios, 2 boiled eggs and a turkey snack stick in case I get hungry.

Yay or nay?

Again, I REALLY appreciate all the feedback. I kind of feel that I need my hand held through this transition. I'm so worried of doing it wrong and gaining weight.

Btw, I'm a 33 year old female with about 75 pounds to lose (already lost 70 from where I started at a year and a half ago). Don't know if that makes a difference for how much I need to be I taking.
        33 F / 5'9" / SW 333 / SPBW 264/ CW 264 / GW 175
        Began Primal 3/25/13 after Medifast

Primal Journal: ksubeks

Comment

some like to track, others don't. entirely up to you.

how many cals are you eating now per day? if it's very low, your weight may blip up, but don't let that freak you out. your body will start to realize it's getting real food and even itself out.

your foods look fine, just be careful with the cheese and the processed meats. they're full of sodium and cheese can be a real problem for weight loss, especially with women.

try transitioning yourself to eating sufficiently big meals so you don't need to snack during the day. this may take awhile if you're used to consuming very low-cal.
          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I think you just need to get going. See how today works, everyone is different. Personally, I'd not eat the cheese or nuts, and add in some fruit. Other people would eat more fat. Etc.

Tracking is helpful to see what you need to adjust over time, plus gives you an idea of calories.

If you want something sweet, try some fruit with a touch of fat and see what happens (say a bowl of berries with a dollop of whip cream). If that makes you want a case of Little Debbies, you just learned something. If it satisfies you, now you know how to handle a sweets craving.

Ongoing, if your sweet tooth is unmanageable, I totally recommend a Whole 30 which will teach you why you eat sweets. When my only choice was fruit or nothing, I figured out pretty quickly that my sweet tooth was driven by habit and emotion. Like I wanted sweets 2 x a day every day. Now I do want sweets occasionally, but more like maybe once a week ( I eat fruit daily), and it is a different kind of want. Things like daily dark chocolate made me unable to get to the bottom of my habit.

And congrats on your weightloss to date. I know goals are important, but every time you make the decision to eat healthy foods, you are helping your body. I know you are really focused on your date and goal, but realize that if you do primal right, and figure out what you need, all the sudden eating in a way that supports weightloss will be effortless and make you feel great. It takes some experimenting and can be frustrating. I look at the scale and have lost about 12 lbs since September. Not a huge loss, and it's been frustrating, but I realize that I genuinely eat foods I love and enjoy, feel nourished and healthy, and do not feel deprived. I know that a year from now, I'll be happy eating this way, smaller and even healthier.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

On Medifast I was eating around 900 calories a day. So this will be a drastic difference I'm sure. I'll definitely try and limit the cheese and sodium. I'm in a good habit of drinking at least 100 oz of water a day because I'm always worried of sodium bloat.

I'll work on preparing some bigger primal meals that I can take for lunch to avoid the need for snacking. I'm so used to eating small every 2 hours with Medifast.

I like the idea of eating berries. My brothers favorite primal treat is fresh berries with whipped cream. I was just worried it might be too many carbs, but having a little everyday is a good plan. And healthy antioxidants, right?!

I'll start tracking just to give myself a good idea of how much I'm eating and if I need to adjust something. I'm so used to fruits and carrots being a no-no n Medifast that I was nervous putting carrots in my lunch today. Sad.

I am definitely an emotional eater and when I'm not on Medifast with the structure, I had tendencies to binge to feed my emotions (as well as if I felt I was being deprived). It's something I've identified and am working on being aware of. I find that as long as I don't allow myself a taste of something like cake or a cookie, I can avoid the temptation. I worry about getting the taste in my mouth and then spiraling. That's why I think it's best if I avoid all of that temptation until I'm at my desired weight. Then I'll have to learn to manage the 80/20 lifestyle without binging. As you said before, Magnolia, I'm too young to say I'm never going to have cake or chips again, but I need to be able to do it without making myself miserable.

I have goals of losing, and with Medifast it was feasible to get to the big 100 pound mark by July (with another 15-25 lbs to get to my ideal weight), but as someone previously mentioned, I'd probably be saggy at the end. I think as long as the weight still comes off, and I feel healthy and strong, I'm ok going slower. I obviously don't expect to come out of this without some battle scars (saggy skin) but I'd like to minimize it as much as possible.
              33 F / 5'9" / SW 333 / SPBW 264/ CW 264 / GW 175
              Began Primal 3/25/13 after Medifast

Primal Journal: ksubeks

Comment

On Medifast I was eating around 900 calories a day. So this will be a drastic difference I'm sure. I'll definitely try and limit the cheese and sodium. I'm in a good habit of drinking at least 100 oz of water a day because I'm always worried of sodium bloat.
                Oh god, I'm so glad you started primal.

Just IMO, 900 calories a day is not right and pretty much is a good illustration as to why so many people regain. You have a lot of healing to do, physically and mentally. That you are worried about carrots makes me super sad and angry at the whole weight loss industry. It's very sad that they want you to eat chemicals, yet fear fruit and carrots.

Look at it this way- fruit, vegetables and meats did not make you fat. Very likely processed food are what made you fat. Nothing BUT NOTHING makes me twitchier than when people try and sell fake foods while making people scared of real, whole foods.

Comment

You don't need to worry about "sodium bloat" and drink enormous quantities of water to wash it away. Drinking more water does not speed up weight loss. Drink water when you're thirsty and you'll be fine.

Comment

It's my understanding that most Berries don't have enough total sugar to be much of a problem. Your likely to get more sugar from store bought whipped cream.

I try to cook as much as much as possible so that I know whats in my food. I have a pressure cooker that I have fallen in love with. I cook a lot of soups in it. Make stocks in it. It has allowed me to cook up large quantities of things that I can then use throughout the week. Also own a crock pot, and some really old cast iron pans.
                    Just keep plugging away at it, patience and consistency will get you were you want to go every time.

Comment

You might have lost weight on 900 cals of processed soy a day, but that definitely isn't healthy. This is about more than your waistline; it's about your health. Dairy is a huge binge trigger for me (highly insulinogenic)--you might want to eat your berries without the cream. I eat frozen raspberries/blueberries right out of the freezer--yum! They taste good on their own! (And consider this-- Antioxidant activity of blueberry fruit ... [Free Radic Biol Med. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI)

If you liked MediFast's structure, find a way to incorporate the same kind of structure into your primal eating plan. The good thing about eating real food is your body will start to detox (gotta unload all the toxic chemicals from the MediFast "food") and you'll be more in tune with its hunger/satiety signals.

Comment

When I left Medifast, I felt like I escaped prison and was not sure which way to run lol. I am still aiming to shed another 10 lbs or so, but my calorie intake is closer to 1500 than the 800-1000 on MF (I am 6'2 198 lbs). I achieved the extra by adding some "healthy" fats like coconut oil to coffee and cooking etc and adding more meat. Bison has been my best friend and I have probably had it 40-50 times in the last 3 months. Keep reading this forum, search any keyword you have an interest in, and ask questions. It is simple and so much more satisfying. I am not interested in only being an 80/20 Primal eater at this moment, my goal is 95-100% until this is well entrenched in my psyche. You can do this, and be much healthier as well!

Comment

Originally posted by ksubeks View Post
                          I am definitely an emotional eater and when I'm not on Medifast with the structure, I had tendencies to binge to feed my emotions (as well as if I felt I was being deprived).
                          For me structure is the thing most lacking in a Primal or Paleo eating plan. I found Atkins first then a month or so later Primal and it's been a combination of the two for me that worked. Following the Atkins steps and recommendations and choosing only Primal or Paleo approved foods is the best of both worlds. Structure and healthy foods. Whole9 has nice meal plan templates if you want to go that route although for me going low carb high fat is what worked. I wouldn't have done it any other way.

You don't necessarily have to do lower carb but it might be a good safety net for you coming off Medifast. I know I'd be tempted to dive right into fruit and the starchier veggies because I felt so deprived on medifast and my sugar and carb cravings were never conquered. When you cut out junk and processed food eating low carb high fat while still watching calories and eating real nourishing food is completely doable.

Whichever way you go good luck and I'm so glad you decided to ditch those nasty powder packets!

Comment

Originally posted by 0Angel0 View Post
                            I know I'd be tempted to dive right into fruit and the starchier veggies because I felt so deprived on medifast and my sugar and carb cravings were never conquered.
                            While sugar or carb cravings can be a problem, it's also true that the desire to gorge on fruit and vegetables may have to do with a real physiological need of the body after being deprived of such things.

Comment

I know I'd be tempted to dive right into fruit and the starchier veggies because I felt so deprived on medifast and my sugar and carb cravings were never conquered.
                              There is a difference.

When I did Whole 30, I just gave myself permission to eat fruit. No other sugar (no chocolate, no sugar in my coffee, no sugar cured bacon). But I could have all the fruits and starches (sweet potatoes, carrots) I wanted. Whole 30 broke a plateau and lost something like 8lbs in a month which is amazing for me. And yeah, I did eat a lot of fruit at times.

If you are losing weight on medifast at 900 calories a day it has exactly NOTHING to do with avoiding fruit, carbs or anything else and everything to do with calorie restriction.

I don't know, I don't count eating fruit (or starchy veggies) as satisfying an "unhealthy" craving for sugar. Usually it's a response to a need for some energy or a desire for something "fresh". It's more like "hey, you need more gas in your tank". An unhealthy sugar craving to me is "OMG I NEED CANDY NOW" (that never happens anymore) or thinking for 3 days about a piece of cake (it happens on occasion- paleo mug cake does the trick). I generally want fruit more on the morning after I work out, or after a day when I don't eat a lot of carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                                While sugar or carb cravings can be a problem, it's also true that the desire to gorge on fruit and vegetables may have to do with a real physiological need of the body after being deprived of such things.
                                Oh I completely agree! After a stint on Medifast one's body absolutely needs nutrition but not necessarily carbs. Initially for me too many calories from carbs or sugar, even from whole natural foods, just made me crave more and more. Now I've learned to recognize my body's need for nourishment vs carb induced cravings. It took a while though and right off Medifast no way I could tell the difference. Now I'm perfectly able to listen to my body but that wasn't the case when I first started losing weight and was fat but undernourished. If those cravings never lead beyond an apple or some berries everyday that's great. For me, and I suspect I'm not alone, they don't stop there in the beginning. It's just a matter of choosing highly nutritious food with the least amount of carbs for some people. At least at first as your body is healing.

Comment

Working...
                                X