Anyone read this article? Any thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2ndChance View Post
    I mean, except for all the vitamin A, C, and K...
    Except its locked in the fiber...

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
      What's the nutritional profile of cooked oats?
      Unless a bit of B5 gets destroyed by cooking, then exactly the same. Adding water doesn't affect the caloric content.
      Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 03-24-2013, 09:05 PM.

Comment

My rule of thumb is to look at the food and see how many micronutrients have a higher %DV score than Calories. That way it doesn't matter what the portion size is, you can look at a dimensionless number.

E.g. Wheat flour, white, unenriched - beats Calories with: Manganese, Selenium
        Porridge: Thiamin, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Manganese, Selenium

compared to other plant food

Boiled Potatoes: C, B6, Thiamin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium, Copper, Manganese
        Kidney Beans, cooked: K, Thiamin, B6, Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, PotassiumSodium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese

or meat

Bacon: A, C, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, B6, Folate, B12, Panthogenic Acid, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium
        Chicken Liver: A, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, B6, Folate, B12, Pantothenic Acid, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
        Unless a bit of B5 gets destroyed by cooking, then exactly the same. Adding water doesn't affect the caloric content.
        Really? So bioavailability means nothing?
        Last edited by magicmerl; 03-24-2013, 09:12 PM.
        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
          My rule of thumb is to look at the food and see how many micronutrients have a higher %DV score than Calories. That way it doesn't matter what the portion size is, you can look at a dimensionless number.

E.g. Wheat flour, white, unenriched - beats Calories with: Manganese, Selenium
          Porridge: Thiamin, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Manganese, Selenium

compared to other plant food

Boiled Potatoes: C, B6, Thiamin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium, Copper, Manganese
          Kidney Beans, cooked: K, Thiamin, B6, Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, PotassiumSodium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese

or meat

Bacon: A, C, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, B6, Folate, B12, Panthogenic Acid, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium
          Chicken Liver: A, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, B6, Folate, B12, Pantothenic Acid, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium

Really? So bioavailability means nothing?
          Bioavailablity is individual and dependent on gut health. Cooking, whether oats or meat might make some nutrients more available whilst partially destroying others.

Your comparison of white flour is hardly encompassing of grains in whole. Nobody denies white flour is mainly empty calories.

By far the best way you look at nutrient density is on a calorie per calorie basis. But even that doesn't take into account all the other beneficial nutrients and antioxidants. Anyone that says "grains are empty calories" are showing their ignorance.

Comment

Actually that is quite the point. Looking at uncooked grains is just plain stupid. You can't eat them in that form! It don't count. Their nutritional profile changes quite drastically in cooked form vs. non-cooked, but all the grain pushers will only show you the non-cooked data and hide their head in the sand.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
              Actually that is quite the point. Looking at uncooked grains is just plain stupid. You can't eat them in that form! It don't count. Their nutritional profile changes quite drastically in cooked form vs. non-cooked, but all the grain pushers will only show you the non-cooked data and hide their head in the sand.
              Ahh. To see just how stupid that statement sounds just replace "grains" with "meat" and read it back to yourself.
              There's also other nutrients you're not account for like antioxidants and fibers like beta glucan, which can't be too bad considering mark puts it in his supplements.

Comment

Ahh. To see just how stupid that statement sounds just replace "grains" with "meat" and read it back to yourself.
                There's also other nutrients you're not account for like antioxidants and fibers like beta glucan, which can't be too bad considering mark puts it in his supplements.
                Actually, I think that the point is the same. I'm only interested in the nutritional profile of cooked meat, if I only eat it cooked.
                Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Working...
                X