Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milk Solids B.S

Frustrated!
    Why is it so hard to find REAL food, or products made from food in its natural form??
    It turns out the "milk solids" in my yoghurt, the yoghurt I'd chosen for its most natural and whole state, happens to be ... Powdered milk?
    I haven't heard good things about powdered milk.

Why?
    Where can I get normal yoghurt ?
    Is it possible to get unpasteurised milk products?

I don't know the laws in your country. Here, it's tough to get unpasteurized milk in some states, easier in others.

I've read that it isn't terribly difficult to make homemade yogurt, so maybe a healthfood store could get you started with what and how to start.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Homemade Yogurt Without a Yogurt Maker Recipe

INGREDIENTS
      1 saucepan
      1 large bowl
      1 small bowl
      1 tablespoon yogurt starter or plain yogurt
      1 quart regular or 2% milk

Yield: 8 Servings (4 ounces each)
      RECIPE
      Warm up milk on medium-low until bubbles appear around the edge and steam rises from the surface.

Pour into large bowl to cool until temperature hits 110-115 on thermometer or if you don’t have one, do what the locals do: the temperature is correct when your index can stay in the warm milk for ten seconds.

Put starter in small bowl, add some of the heated milk and stir until well-blended. Pour small bowl mixture into large bowl a third at a time, making sure to stir and blend well before each addition. End with a final stir, making sure all is well-blended. Cover with a thick towel and keep in a warm place 4-6 hours until set.

Refrigerate for 8 hours before serving.

Comment

If you can locate a niche dairy they often make their own, otherwise try the Jalna brand it's pretty good, <5% added milk solids and cultures, the rest is just biodynamic milk.
        "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Jalna Organic Biodynamic is what I'm getting now.
          Wasn't really sure HOW much milk solids was in there...

And thank everyone - will definitely try that recipe.

Comment

How annoying

I had been buying that Jalna yogurt because I 'thought' it was the best on the market. We don't have it very much...but it is the principle of it.....so annying and I totally agree....food isnt food....and people I know are either like me and want to know everything.....or stick their heads in the sand and don't want to know a thing about anything....and so the big food lies keep going !!

Comment

Kalona makes the best yogurt I've tried (as well as the best cream, sour cream and cottage cheese).
              LastBottleWines

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkward View Post
                Kalona makes the best yogurt I've tried (as well as the best cream, sour cream and cottage cheese).
                Their butter is also delicious. I like it better than Kerrygold. Does that make me a blasphemer?

Comment

Originally posted by Kata View Post
                  Their butter is also delicious. I like it better than Kerrygold. Does that make me a blasphemer?
                  bodysnatchers1.jpg
                  LastBottleWines

Comment

Everybody, please buy as much as possible straight from farmers. The quality will be higher, and grocery stores often work together to not be competitors for buying from farmers and in this way extort the farmer.
                    You won't be dealing with all these stupid additives and you're helping to save the planet
                    well then

Comment

I bought organic full fat plain yogurt a few weeks ago while some friends were visiting. I noticed that it had a slightly odd texture. I checked the ingredients - there was fricking corn starch added to the yogurt. WHHHHYYYYY?!?!?!?
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkward View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]11064[/ATTACH]
                        BAHAHAHAHAHA

I just remembered that the last time I checked this thread, the image wasn't up yet. Now I'm glad I came back.

Comment

My husband swears you can only get real yogurt from middle eastern markets. This weekend I want to visit a local dairy farm where you can take a tour and feed the baby calves before stopping in the farms store for natural milk, cream, butter, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Geeknik View Post
                            My husband swears you can only get real yogurt from middle eastern markets. This weekend I want to visit a local dairy farm where you can take a tour and feed the baby calves before stopping in the farms store for natural milk, cream, butter, etc.
                            My local middle eastern place carries labne kefir cheese which is like Greek yogurt taken to the next level of creamy and awesome.

Comment

Yum. Labneh goes well with lamb which is often cheaper at middle eastern markets as well. And even better is a Turkish yogurt dip called Haydari. When I lived in Istanbul I would smear it on steak.

Comment

Working...
                              X