My only vice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 teaspoons?!
    A pinch of stevia is equal to a teaspoon of honey, for me.
    Perhaps try gradually lessening the amount you use.

Comment

Originally posted by Traveller View Post
      2 teaspoons?!
      A pinch of stevia is equal to a teaspoon of honey, for me.
      Perhaps try gradually lessening the amount you use.
      Oh sorry, I should've been more clear... I use Truvia brand, which is mostly erythritol (the sugar alcohol) with a relatively small amount of stevia in it. So I should've said I have roughly two teaspoons of Truvia per day (probably comes out to less than half a teaspoon of actual stevia)

Comment

How is drinking almond milk avoiding nuts?
        Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by peril View Post
          How is drinking almond milk avoiding nuts?
          Because a cup of almond milk is probably the equivalent of one tablespoon of almonds. And it's REALLY rare... like maybe twice a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Cierra
            What else do you eat in a typical day? Not trying to disregard your question, because you're being so perfectly Primal, and I'm impressed. You just look great in your profile picture, and I'd like to know just what works for you!

As for the stevia thing, I use way too much of it and it causes me to crave sweet things all the time. Still can't kick the habit, but since you don't seem to be having any cravings in relation to the consumption of stevia, then I'd say that you're golden!
            Thanks for the compliment! My day is usually two meals: one protein shake (egg white protein) which keeps me going all day, and then a meat and veg dinner.

Comment

Stevia is one of the reasons I never even considered doing something like the Whole 30. Well, that and the no-caffeine bit, which goes hand-in-hand with the stevia.

My favorite is New Roots stevia extract powder, which has no fillers. A 30g container costs about $12 and it lasts me months. A little bit goes a long way. Not sure if it's available in the US.

I've tried Truvia and others with fillers/bulking agents like chicory, malto, along with xylitol and erythritol etc and just plain don't like them.

Also don't like the drops at all. Did use most of a tin of Sweet Leaf tablets last summer, both when touring and camping on my motorcycle and while on a work trip in the UK for a month.

Not nearly as good as the New Roots IMHO, but handier when on the road, and there was no fine white powder with a bitter taste to try to explain when crossing borders.

Comment

It's all good. Mine is aspartame. I use Tito sweeten my lemonade and coffee like it's going out of fashion.
                F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I was a sugar fiend, and the longer you stay away from it, the less sweet you will like things, the further a little honey or maple syrup will get you. I was a sugar and cream in my coffee gal, and now I find coconut milk is sweet enough. I would think you could eliminate stevia if you wanted to. But I don't know that it is a problem.

On a side note, whenever I feel weird about using sweetener, I think back to the old days when I ate so much sugar with every meal. I probably ate 1/2cup or more a day. So you know, a tsp in some tea or some maple syrup in a dessert seems very minimal.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                  Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                    I was a sugar fiend, and the longer you stay away from it, the less sweet you will like things, the further a little honey or maple syrup will get you. I was a sugar and cream in my coffee gal, and now I find coconut milk is sweet enough. I would think you could eliminate stevia if you wanted to. But I don't know that it is a problem.

On a side note, whenever I feel weird about using sweetener, I think back to the old days when I ate so much sugar with every meal. I probably ate 1/2cup or more a day. So you know, a tsp in some tea or some maple syrup in a dessert seems very minimal.
                    This gets my vote for best answer.
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                      Stevia is great for "enhancing" ordinary table sugar - have you ever tried to blend them? Here where I live they sell a sugar-Stevia mixture that I find much better and sweeter than plain sugar, so I haven't used ordinary sugar for years now...
                      Sweet Leaf makes a really nice Stevia/sugar blend. I found it by accident in the reduced bin at my local grocery store. My only use for it is in coconut milk based hot chocolate. I really like it. I also have the liquid concentrated plain Stevia that for the most part just sits in the fridge.
                      Personally, I don't think it's too bad if you use the one that doesn't have the nasty fillers in it.

Comment

I find xylitol to have a better taste than stevia
                        Have you tried that?

Comment

Working...
                        X