Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiskey, what's the real deal here?

Greetings everyone,

I've seen conflicting information; some saying all alcohol is essentially carb/sugar, while some saying whiskey and such are no-carb (in the sense we are concerned about).

1) Do distilled liquors count as carbs?
    2) Do they have any insulin spiking effects?
    2) Can they throw you out of ketosis?

Basically I have to drink for my work, so researching what is the best way to go about said activity.

Thanks.

1) Some count them as carbs, others no.
    2) No idea.
    3) I got thrown out of ketosis by spirits one night.

One thing I don't drink is whiskey. I only drink spirits that are non-grain based, as I must be gluten-free. I have found some to be inflammatory.

Comment

Wait, so you have to drink for work!? Are you hiring? I think you might have my dream job

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
        Greetings everyone,

I've seen conflicting information; some saying all alcohol is essentially carb/sugar, while some saying whiskey and such are no-carb (in the sense we are concerned about).

1) Do distilled liquors count as carbs?
        2) Do they have any insulin spiking effects?

Basically I have to drink for my work, so researching what is the best way to go about said activity.

Thanks.
        Alchohol count as alcohol, not carbs! Pure alcohol may bring you faster and deeper into ketosis, and I suppose that it doesen't raise insulin, but I am not sure about that.

Right now a couple of Mr. Daniels on the rocks...
        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Yep. Alcohol is not carbs, some alcoholic beverages contain sugars and carbs, but the hard liquors like gin, whiskey, vodka, tequila are carb free. The calories are from alcohol and not carbs.
          F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Very interesting, and does this apply to real whisky too?

Comment

Ha Ha I just knew that a Scot wd. pop in here I'm sure we cd. learn a thing or two from you. There was a thread perhaps a year or so ago about this. Too short unfortunately.

Comment

From what I understand, ketosis or no ketosis, when you drink alcohol your liver goes to work metabolizing it immediately because it's a toxin. Granted, one that the liver renders harmless, but a toxin anyway. Like when there's too much sugar in the blood, it's toxic and the body renders it harmless using insulin. When the liver is done dealing with the alcohol, it goes back to processing other things like proteins etc. No consciousness involved, just chemistry. That's my understanding anyway...

Oh and by the time alcohol is distilled from the mash, the mash no longer has any bearing on the product. In other words, the source material (corn, potatoes, wheat, whatever) is completely gone and only alcohol remains. That's the magic of distillation.
                5' 9" 47 YO F
                PB start June 2, 2012
                Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
                Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                  3) I got thrown out of ketosis by spirits one night.
                  When I read that I thought you had been to a haunted nightclub.

I've stuck to rum and whisky and its not affected my weight loss (neither has the occasional Guinness) but I only drink on a Friday evening or Saturday night. I've noticed my tolerance to alcohol has reduced as I've lost weight so maybe that's got something to do with it (I'm not drinking a lot).

Comment

Oh how I miss beer SO freaking much. If I could submerge myself in a nice, creamy Guinness right now I would be in heaven.

Interesting to hear this about hard alcohol. So, you're saying whiskey and the like are actually gluten free? So, I can take back my Jameson shots? I mean, occasionally, of course
                    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post

My understanding of the alcohol & ketosis issue was that the liver can make ketones out of alcohol, but it will burn the alcohol preferentially before burning fat again. So you kind of stall in a sense. I forgot where I read this so I could be wrong. From my own experience, wine has kicked me out of ketosis but my usual vodka & soda drinks have not. It's probably something to do with the sugar content and/or because when I drink wine, I drink the whole bottle.

Originally posted by Gladmorning View Post
                      Interesting to hear this about hard alcohol. So, you're saying whiskey and the like are actually gluten free? So, I can take back my Jameson shots? I mean, occasionally, of course
                      I was wondering about this too. I always assumed vodka and the like would be gluten free, but I have seen vodka bottles at my liquor store that are specifically labelled as "gluten-free" and ones that aren't, so I'm not sure if manufacturers are just stating the obvious or there is actually gluten in spirits.

Comment

[I was wondering about this too. I always assumed vodka and the like would be gluten free, but I have seen vodka bottles at my liquor store that are specifically labelled as "gluten-free" and ones that aren't, so I'm not sure if manufacturers are just stating the obvious or there is actually gluten in spirits.[/QUOTE]

I think this is marketing strategy.

Comment

Thanks for shedding some light on this confusing issue everyone.

To summarize, it sounds like there are actually four categories: alcohol, carbs, fat, protein. And the body more or less burns them for fuel in that order. Things like whiskey won't necessarily throw you out of ketosis, in fact may even deepen it, BUT all other calorie burning will cease while the alcohol is present. It follows that if you chow-down all night while drinking you could get fat, because your body is busy processing the alcohol, while the food gets stored for later. Insulin spike unknown.

It looks like I just became a drinker of quality whiskey.

Due to my location, and armed with this information, I now wonder if I should consider soju as my backup plan. It is actually classified as a distilled liquor, although I'd never really thought of it as such. I believe there are some sugars added though which isn't great. It truly tastes like butt, but it could be a better than beer in a pinch.

Comment

Originally posted by June68 View Post
                            Oh and by the time alcohol is distilled from the mash, the mash no longer has any bearing on the product. In other words, the source material (corn, potatoes, wheat, whatever) is completely gone and only alcohol remains. That's the magic of distillation.
                            You can say that, but I react. In fact, the color and flavor in whiskey comes from adding back a controlled amount of the mash. So how could it then be gluten-free?

Comment

Originally posted by KV8R View Post
                              Wait, so you have to drink for work!? Are you hiring? I think you might have my dream job
                              I know, right?

Well, I work "front office" in the financial investment world, in Northeast Asia. Deals here are closed over drinking and scantily clad women (sorry, being blunt). Samsung actually passed a rule last year that employees are no longer forced to drink, I believe. But nobody takes it seriously. The reality...when closing deals with Koreans or Japanese "no drinkie = no deal!".

Haha, Koreans are actually the heaviest drinkers of spirits in the world, so I should have no trouble finding keto-friendly drinks. These people are truly "professional drinkers", never seen anything like it...

Comment

Working...
                              X