No announcement yet.

Whiskey, what's the real deal here?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience from testing out drinks while in ketosis last month was that liquors (mostly whiskey, vodka, gin) would not bump me out of ketosis.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
      You can say that, but I react. In fact, the color and flavor in whiskey comes from adding back a controlled amount of the mash. So how could it then be gluten-free?
      I think you answered your own question...

...they add it back...

The OP point was that distilled alcohol has no gluten. If the vendor adds back some mash to the distilled alcohol, then yeah, it may well have gluten.
      Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
      Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
      "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
      "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
      "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Comment

Here's what Mark has to say...

Definitive Guide to Alcohol on a Low Carb Diet | Mark's Daily Apple

Is Alcohol Good or Bad For Health? | Mark's Daily Apple

Personally, I think the occasional beer now and then isn't gonna kill anyone (except maybe a celiac sufferer). If you're craving one, better to satisfy the craving than keep jonesing forever and envying people who are "allowed" to drink beer. Hard alcohol has never agreed with me, so I mostly stick to wine, beer here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by PBNewby View Post
          I think you answered your own question...

...they add it back...

The OP point was that distilled alcohol has no gluten. If the vendor adds back some mash to the distilled alcohol, then yeah, it may well have gluten.
          I don't drink whiskey. But I have reacted consistently to several brands of vodka, which shouldn't have been contaminated.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
            You can say that, but I react. In fact, the color and flavor in whiskey comes from adding back a controlled amount of the mash. So how could it then be gluten-free?
            I'll do a quick check in some whiskey books I have here, but I've NEVER heard of this practice with Kentucky Bourbon, which is my preference. The color for that kind comes from the charring on the inside of the barrel. No adding back in mash. Other whiskeys may not be made this way, but Kentucky bourbon is. Alcohol is distilled to a specific proof range and then barreled. The mash is discarded. So maybe Kentucky bourbon could be the thing for you. I probably should have specified when I first posted.
            5' 9" 47 YO F
            PB start June 2, 2012
            Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
            Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Gladmorning View Post
              Oh how I miss beer SO freaking much. If I could submerge myself in a nice, creamy Guinness right now I would be in heaven.

Interesting to hear this about hard alcohol. So, you're saying whiskey and the like are actually gluten free? So, I can take back my Jameson shots? I mean, occasionally, of course
              I think it might be OK to drink a beer or two after a hard workout -- you know restore those glycogen reserves. I remember reading in some cycling magazine that beer was the perfect recovery drink. That was the only thing I remember reading from any of those magazines:-)

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
                Due to my location, and armed with this information, I now wonder if I should consider soju as my backup plan. It is actually classified as a distilled liquor, although I'd never really thought of it as such. I believe there are some sugars added though which isn't great. It truly tastes like butt, but it could be a better than beer in a pinch.
                I don't mind a bit of soju. Much better than Chinese rice spirit. I think it has to be better than beer
                Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
                  I know, right?

Well, I work "front office" in the financial investment world, in Northeast Asia. Deals here are closed over drinking and scantily clad women (sorry, being blunt). Samsung actually passed a rule last year that employees are no longer forced to drink, I believe. But nobody takes it seriously. The reality...when closing deals with Koreans or Japanese "no drinkie = no deal!".

Haha, Koreans are actually the heaviest drinkers of spirits in the world, so I should have no trouble finding keto-friendly drinks. These people are truly "professional drinkers", never seen anything like it...
                  gosh!

how do people work the next day?

Comment

Originally posted by miata View Post
                    I think it might be OK to drink a beer or two after a hard workout -- you know restore those glycogen reserves. I remember reading in some cycling magazine that beer was the perfect recovery drink. That was the only thing I remember reading from any of those magazines:-)
                    Yes, beer can be used as a recovery drink and with good results! Arnold Schwarzenegger used to eat a whole grilled chicken and swallow it down with a six pack of beer post-workout, to recover from his gruelling workouts...
                    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                      Yes, beer can be used as a recovery drink and with good results! Arnold Schwarzenegger used to eat a whole grilled chicken and swallow it down with a six pack of beer post-workout, to recover from his gruelling workouts...
                      Wish I would have known that earlier -- been limiting myself to no more than two beers. I'm doing a 6 hour bike ride tomorrow. Sounds like I need to stick a 6-pack in the frig before I take off.

Comment

Does the consumption of alchol though retain water? I know a person is thirsty the next day, but does it store in the body?
                        55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
                        Chest; 41.5
                        Waist; 42
                        Hips; 40
                        Thigh; 22.5
                        Calf; 15
                        Bicep: 13
                        Forearm; 11.5
                        Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
                        Chest; 42
                        Waist; 42.5
                        Hips; 39
                        Thigh; 23
                        Calf; 15
                        Bicep: 13
                        Forearm; 11.5
                        Neck; 16

Comment

Here's a pretty good article on alcohol as a diuretic: Why does alcohol make me pee more?
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by Quarry View Post
                            gosh!

Yeah, that's another story. They are masters of acting normal in the office, like nothing happened the night before haha, then at 6PM they go do it again! Korea has the highest per capita consumption of spirits in the world!

Anyhow, I'm going to try a single malt - they sell Macallan here.

Comment

Originally posted by thedoglett View Post
                              When I read that I thought you had been to a haunted nightclub.

I've stuck to rum and whisky and its not affected my weight loss (neither has the occasional Guinness) but I only drink on a Friday evening or Saturday night. I've noticed my tolerance to alcohol has reduced as I've lost weight so maybe that's got something to do with it (I'm not drinking a lot).
                              The smaller you are, the faster alcohol is to take effect on you. It's not a linear corellation (I know a couple of very big guys who can't hold their alcohol at ALL), but it's pretty much true that smaller folks feel the effects sooner.

That also means fewer calories ingested by the end of the night.
                              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Quarry View Post
                                gosh!

I once read a funny line that basically stated that if you got rid of every functional drunk in the financial sector, there'd only be three aging bond sellers left. (Okay, that doesn't look as funny as it is in my head.)
                                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                                X