• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I eat fresh butter
    From a sterling silver fork
    To annoy Choco

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
      This is how butter is used properly. As a cooking fat and as a flavoring agent it's good stuff, especially Kerrygold (which is really all I buy). I render ghee from Kerrygold unsalted for cooking and keep a stick of salted Kerrygold on-hand for the occasional spread or quick light pan fry. Slicing it into chunks to eat like bread or blending tablespoons in your coffee is abuse of a healthy cooking fat IMO. At that point it becomes largely empty calories.
      I think there are times when that can be appropriate for different people. It depends on what you're eating. I try to get my fat from meat and eggs as much as possible. I also tend to eat around 60-65% dietary fat while some people do better at 80%. You don't need much added fat to get to 60% eating real whole foods that aren't "light" or "reduced fat".

In the context of a whole day's worth of food on a HFLC diet adding extra butter, whether you add it to your coffee or put it on a steak, can be a part of a healthy diet. With real food. It all depends on the individual and what they eat in a particular day. A healthy food only becomes "empty calories" if you eat too much of it. And "too much" is highly individual.

Comment

Do you understand what "rendering" is?
        am quite sure that i do know what rendering is and that you do not. rendering is what turns animal hides into gelatin. it's what turns left-over porky bits into lard. at its most simple base it involves heat, while making butter does not. rendering has zero to do with separating cream from liquid.

Milk is a whole food. From there, the cream is separated. Then, it is churned for a long time. That is a rendering process. Butter is subject to multi-step processing.
        making butter is basically 2 steps. separate cream. churn. et voila: butter. that equals "a couple" of steps. not " a few", not "several", not "many", not "multi". TWO.

There is no way to get butter in nature.

numerous farmers and cow owners on here would beg to differ.

It is useful, it is healthy in appropriate quantities, but it is not real food. It is more processed than honey and about as processed as a whole sugar like sucanat.
        by your logic ghee, your proclaimed fat of choice, is a highly processed food -- moreso than butter. how can you let it touch your sanctimonious mouth?

am sorry, but you sound like an hysteric here and it's just funny watching you get so easily wound up.
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

ľ Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Butter isn't food. It's rendered fat. It's a cooking tool so foods don't stick to your pan, or a flavoring agent. Eating butter by the slice is like eating salt by the spoonful or taking a tablespoon to a bag of sugar. It's no different - lots of calories, not very much nutrition. Stick to eating real food and using butter as a tool, not a significant source of calories, and you'll reach your goals much more easily.

I disagree. Paleo is about eating real food. Butter is a processed, rendered fat, not a whole food. It's not unhealthy by any stretch, but it's silly to eat it as food. Again, would you take a spoon to a bag of sugar and start eating? It's really no different. Stuff like bulletproof coffee and the like is total faileo.
          Frame it any way you want it, butter is empty calories versus real, whole food. If you think eating straight butter is fine for fat loss, then eating straight from the honey jar or drinking a glass of maple syrup is also fine, correct?
          I never said butter contains "no nutrition." I said it isn't nutrient-dense like whole foods are. My statement stands.
          I'll set the example for you: I was wrong when I posted that you said butter contains "no nutrition." You did call it empty calories compared to "real, whole food," and you did compare it to eating sugar from a bag by the spoonful. So I inaccurately exaggerated (but certainly didn't fabricate) your claim.

Does your statement that butter is a rendered fat and a processed food stand? Because one of those assertions is patently false, the other intellectually indefensible.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
            am quite sure that i do know what rendering is and that you do not. rendering is what turns animal hides into gelatin. it's what turns left-over porky bits into lard. at its most simple base it involves heat, while making butter does not. rendering has zero to do with separating cream from liquid.
            renĚder
            1 [ren-der] Show IPA verb (used with object)
            1. to cause to be or become; make: to render someone helpless.
            2. to do; perform: to render a service.
            3. to furnish; provide: to render aid.
            4. to exhibit or show (obedience, attention, etc.).
            5. to present for consideration, app roval, payment, action, etc., as an account.

Rendering | Define Rendering at Dictionary.com

All "render" means is to "make." Butter is rendered just like lard is rendered - it has to be made because it does not exist completely naturally.

I see I have angered the religious sect of the Church of Paleo. Seriously, you need a hobby. Butter is not a whole food, and if you eat it by the slice or blend it in your coffee than eating honey and drinking maple syrup is just as viable. If you enjoy these things, I more than welcome you to enjoy your daily breakfast of a slice of butter and a glass of maple syrup. I'll stick to eating real food like eggs, meat, fruits and vegetables instead of consuming large quantities of comparatively empty, rendered fat.

[/sarcasm]
            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
              Does your statement that butter is a rendered fat and a processed food stand? Because one of those assertions is patently false, the other intellectually indefensible.
              Yes, my statement stands. Butter is on a similar nutritional plane as honey, maple syrup and molasses. If you're not okay with eating them as a food, then you cannot logically agree with eating butter as a food. Consuming butter and oils by the spoonful is no different than eating whole sugars like sucanat, honey, molasses, maple syrup, coconut sugar, etc.
              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Render is a word with many meanings; in terms of food product, it does specifically involve heating. You're wrong on that point Choco, but I feel like debating semantics on this is pretty ridiculous. These long winded totally pointless arguments y'all get into probably turn away a lot of newbies.

12. To reduce, convert, or melt down (fat) by heating.

Putting butter in coffee is, quite seriously, no different than putting cream in coffee. It's essentially the difference between ice and water.
                yay!

Comment

Somehow, the simple message of "eat real food" has been perverted and people that sit at a desk all day are drinking sticks of butter simply because it is a "fat" while sneering at the poor lady that put 2 teaspoons of sugar in her coffee simply because it is "sugar."
                  I read this whole thread and this made me LOL.

I don't really have an opinion on the debate--butter, like milk, meat, eggs, etc. is only as nutritious as the cow it came from. I know Kerrygold claims to be grass-fed, but it's so ever-present, so widely available that it makes me question its integrity. There are no agencies to verify packaging claims like "grass fed" or "pasture-raised" so you're basically putting your trust in people who stand to make a fast buck by deceiving you. Butter from a cow you raise yourself is a different story. Still not something I would eat on its own (ew), but worlds different from RBGH butter, grain-fed butter, or even Kerrygold... The problem with things like "butter is high in K2" is, that claim is only true if the cow ate a certain diet, but its been extrapolated out so makers of disgusting factory-farmed butter are making a profit off it.

Comment

I see I have angered the religious sect of the Church of Paleo. Seriously, you need a hobby.
                    Repent and do repentance! - and to save your lost paleo soul you must now drink a large cup of Bulletproof coffee loaded with one stick of butter as a holy sacramentů
                    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

renĚder
                      1. to cause to be or become; make:to render someone helpless.
                      5. to present for consideration, app roval, payment, action, etc., as an account.

All "render" means is to "make." Butter is rendered just like lard is rendered - it has to be made because it does not exist completely naturally.

[/sarcasm]
                      From the very same dictionary link provided by Choco. He jsut didn't read down the page far enough.

21.to try out oil from fat, blubber, etc., by melting.

Obviously , since we are talking about fats, this is the definition that applies. Butter is not "rendered".
                      Choco, you are so cute when you paint yourself into a logical corner this way and then throw a tantrum because there is no way out.

Comment

renĚder
                        1. to cause to be or become; make: to render someone helpless.

I see I have angered the religious sect of the Church of Paleo. Seriously, you need a hobby. Butter is not a whole food, and if you eat it by the slice or blend it in your coffee than eating honey and drinking maple syrup is just as viable. If you enjoy these things, I more than welcome you to enjoy your daily breakfast of a slice of butter and a glass of maple syrup. I'll stick to eating real food like eggs, meat, fruits and vegetables instead of consuming large quantities of comparatively empty, rendered fat.

[/sarcasm]
                        I'm rendered speechless by your claim that the definition you bolded applies to making butter from cream.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Stupid arguments like this are the reason I sometimes feel embarrassed to say I'm Paleo.
                          Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                          https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                          MFP Food Diary:
                          http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                          (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

If you're not okay with eating them as a food, then you cannot logically agree with eating butter as a food.
                            I disagree. Here's a more accurate analogy: If you're not okay with eating butter as a food, then you cannot logically agree with eating cheese as a food.
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                              From the very same dictionary link provided by Choco. He jsut didn't read down the page far enough.

21.to try out oil from fat, blubber, etc., by melting.

Obviously , since we are talking about fats, this is the definition that applies. Butter is not "rendered".
                              Choco, you are so cute when you paint yourself into a logical corner this way and then throw a tantrum because there is no way out.
                              Please. "To render" is to make. It is used in all walks of life as a normal word, like rendering a webpage. I guess webpages have to be melted as well. But please, keep the logical fallacies coming. The fact remains that butter is not nutrient dense compared to whole foods and it is processed no matter how you look at it.

Comment

Just wow. I was going to comment on your stupid butter=sugar comment, but after reading this thread more I've realized I might have better luck teaching my dog to make coffee.

I want to save myself from this:

Comment

Working...
                                X