How do you eat butter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
    After you cut the core out of the apple it's not a "whole food" either.

What's "insane" is to imagine that everybody who eats butter is fat. That's nonsense, pure wishful thinking on your part. I'm thinner than I've been in 30 years and still losing weight. And I eat fat.
    Really? This forum needs one of those emoticons with the smiley face banging its head on the keyboard or against a brick wall. Isn't one of the ten Primal Principles to "not eat toxins"? Apple seeds are poisonous.

Frame it any way you want it, butter is empty calories versus real, whole food. If you think eating straight butter is fine for fat loss, then eating straight from the honey jar or drinking a glass of maple syrup is also fine, correct?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
      If you think eating straight butter is fine for fat loss, then eating straight from the honey jar or drinking a glass of maple syrup is also fine, correct?
      Personally, I'd find either of those experiences horribly unsatiating and sickeningly sweet. A little bit of butter makes me feel sated and nourished. YMMV.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
        You can't pick a steak off a tree. Gotta get it at the grocery store. You can't pick cheese off a tree. Gotta get it at the grocery store. You can't pick eggs off a tree, much less scrambled eggs or an omelet. Churned cream is called butter. Butter is food. Real, whole food. How much CLA is there in maple syrup again? How much K2 in honey?
        I can't take it anymore. This is why this isn't a mainstream movement and probably never will be. There is no logic.

Does something have to have K2 in it to be real food? How much magnesium is in butter? How much vitamin C is in butter? There is more than one nutrient. There is virtually no no Vitamin K2 in eggs. I guess they aren't real food, but rendered fat is.

This is a fad diet and always will be because there is too many zealots. Somehow, the simple message of "eat real food" has been perverted and people that sit at a desk all day are drinking sticks of butter simply because it is a "fat" while sneering at the poor lady that put 2 teaspoons of sugar in her coffee simply because it is "sugar."
        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I can't take it anymore. This is why this isn't a mainstream movement and probably never will be. There is no logic.

Does something have to have K2 in it to be real food? How much magnesium is in butter? How much vitamin C is in butter? There is more than one nutrient. There is virtually no no Vitamin K2 in eggs. I guess they aren't real food, but rendered fat is.

This is a fad diet and always will be because there is too many zealots. Somehow, the simple message of "eat real food" has been perverted and people that sit at a desk all day are drinking sticks of butter simply because it is a "fat" while sneering at the poor lady that put 2 teaspoons of sugar in her coffee simply because it is "sugar."
          I was clearly addressing the 2 separate (and sometimes conflicting) arguments you keep making about butter. 1: that butter isn't a real, whole food (it clearly is), and 2: That it's nutritionally void (it isn't).

I have a lot of respect for someone who can admit when he's wrong, and a lot of disdain for someone who clings to an argument despite logic and tries to deflect the conversation away from the points he's clearly been incorrect about. You've been the former guy in the past. You're being the latter now.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Since you ask. The video outlining nutrient density by Mathieu Lalonde, Phd scores butter as more nutritionally dense than any of the following:

apples, blueberries, cranberries, lettuce, cucumbers, onions, rice, beets, .... ect. Lots more, but you get the point. And this is standard grocery store garbage butter! Just think if it was the good stuff

Mathieu Lalonde, PhD

Now this is based on 100g sample so it is obviously also more caloric dense too. But by all means is a very nutritious item.

Comment

Really? This forum needs one of those emoticons with the smiley face banging its head on the keyboard or against a brick wall. Isn't one of the ten Primal Principles to "not eat toxins"? Apple seeds are poisonous.

Frame it any way you want it, butter is empty calories versus real, whole food. If you think eating straight butter is fine for fat loss, then eating straight from the honey jar or drinking a glass of maple syrup is also fine, correct?
              Apple seeds are only "poisonous" if you save up a couple of cups and eat them all at once. Otherwise, not at all. That's just a big fail.

Frame it anyway you want, butter is food. If you think I should stop eating butter, you are trying to deliberately sabotage my weight loss and make me gain weight. It would no doubt make you feel better, but you have zero credibility.

This is why this isn't a mainstream movement and probably never will be. There is no logic.
              Because "logic" is all about embracing conventional wisdom and avoiding butter like the devil. How's that working out for America?

Comment

Butter is calorie dense, and fat dense, but "nutrious dense"? Even if it also have some micro nutrients I woulden't eat it for that reason...
                "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

A young man who has done a complete 180 in less than a year that I've been reading this board is talking logic. That's almost as rich as butter.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I was clearly addressing the 2 separate (and sometimes conflicting) arguments you keep making about butter. 1: that butter isn't a real, whole food (it clearly is), and 2: That it's nutritionally void (it isn't).

I have a lot of respect for someone who can admit when he's wrong, and a lot of disdain for someone who clings to an argument despite logic and tries to deflect the conversation away from the points he's clearly been incorrect about. You've been the former guy in the past. You're being the latter now.
                    That's not true. Your argument is not in context.

Is butter unhealthy? No. It's one of the healthiest fats on planet Earth, and my goto fat of choice for cooking (well, technically ghee, but same composition).

Butter is also one of the most nutrient-dense fats on planet Earth as well. Compare it to coconut oil, lard, tallow...they are healthy fats as well, and butter beats them.

But compare butter to actual food - meat, eggs, fruit, tubers, vegetables - and it is comparatively empty calories. Eating it like food is irresponsible when losing weight because it has a very high calorie:nutrient ratio. Butter is not a whole food, it is a rendered fat, and just because butter is a very nutritious fat, it is not nutritious compared to actual food. Compared to a steak, an apple or a leaf of lettuce, it doesn't come anywhere close to nutritious.

You're taking the extremist approach. I understand the thrill of this lifestyle - you get to brag to people terrified of fat, particularly saturated fat, and tell them how much butter you consume. That's exciting because it's so counter-culture, and it makes us feel superior for "knowing" what they don't know. But there is a fine line between cooking your meat and vegetables in a tablespoon of butter and eating it by the slice or blending sticks in your coffee. Why do we always have to take the extreme approach around here? Let's be reasonable.

Simply saying butter is good because it has Vitamin K2 in it is like the Idiocracy line of "Brawndo's got electrolytes!" Everyone says it but no one knows what it means.

Comment

You will never convince me that my freshly made butter is nutritionally void. The grocery store is not the only place from which it comes. I think the garbage butter in the store is nutritionally void. It is derived from cows which are stuffed full of GMO grains. Yuck, man.

My cow? She's happily grass fed. Obviously not everyone has their own cow. Maybe my perspective is moot here.
                      The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Comment

That's not true. Your argument is not in context.

Is butter unhealthy? No. It's one of the healthiest fats on planet Earth, and my goto fat of choice for cooking (well, technically ghee, but same composition).

Butter is also one of the most nutrient-dense fats on planet Earth as well. Compare it to coconut oil, lard, tallow...they are healthy fats as well, and butter beats them.

But compare butter to actual food - meat, eggs, fruit, tubers, vegetables - and it is comparatively empty calories. Eating it like food is irresponsible when losing weight because it has a very high calorie:nutrient ratio. Butter is not a whole food, it is a rendered fat, and just because butter is a very nutritious fat, it is not nutritious compared to actual food. Compared to a steak, an apple or a leaf of lettuce, it doesn't come anywhere close to nutritious.

You're taking the extremist approach. I understand the thrill of this lifestyle - you get to brag to people terrified of fat, particularly saturated fat, and tell them how much butter you consume. That's exciting because it's so counter-culture, and it makes us feel superior for "knowing" what they don't know. But there is a fine line between cooking your meat and vegetables in a tablespoon of butter and eating it by the slice or blending sticks in your coffee. Why do we always have to take the extreme approach around here? Let's be reasonable.

Simply saying butter is good because it has Vitamin K2 in it is like the Idiocracy line of "Brawndo's got electrolytes!" Everyone says it but no one knows what it means.

You've lost the plot entirely. I never said "butter is good because it has Vitamin K2," I said "your claims that butter contains no nutrition is false, for example, K2 can be found in butter." Butter is good for a plethora of reasons. It's satiating, the fats it contains are good for your gut and brain, and it's delicious. And yes, there are some nutrients found in butter that are not readily available from too many other sources, like CLA and K2, as I mentioned.

You said butter isn't a whole food because it's processed, which is an unjustifiable claim. You keep calling it a rendered fat despite the fact that it's simply churned cream. Your arguments are based on your new anti-HFLC ideology rather than fact. You are obviously more interested in playing "who can argue better" than actually addressing these conflicting points in your own thought process.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Butter is a cooking tool and an ingredient for me. I eat HFLC but as I still have a few pounds to lose I don't use much in the way of added fats other than the occasional homemade mayo or sauce. I tried a sliver of Kerrygold straight ages ago to see what all the fuss was about. No thanks. But yeah, butter is definitely food and highly nutritious when coming from properly raised cows.

Comment

"your claims that butter contains no nutrition is false, for example, K2 can be found in butter."
                            You're outright lying. I never said butter contains "no nutrition." I said it isn't nutrient-dense like whole foods are. My statement stands.

Comment

Originally posted by 0Angel0 View Post
                              Butter is a cooking tool and an ingredient for me. I eat HFLC but as I still have a few pounds to lose I don't use much in the way of added fats other than the occasional homemade mayo or sauce..
                              This is how butter is used properly. As a cooking fat and as a flavoring agent it's good stuff, especially Kerrygold (which is really all I buy). I render ghee from Kerrygold unsalted for cooking and keep a stick of salted Kerrygold on-hand for the occasional spread or quick light pan fry. Slicing it into chunks to eat like bread or blending tablespoons in your coffee is abuse of a healthy cooking fat IMO. At that point it becomes largely empty calories.

Comment

It had to have been years ago, and I believe the poster was Batty, but she posted a recipe for Blueberry Butter Balls. I made them once. They were one of the yummiest things I have ever eaten, and because of this I can never make them again. Just too tempting. Normally Butter is just my go to fat for cooking. I also LOVE mixing in a little with scrambled eggs. I tried the bulletproof coffee as well, not bad, but have only had it a handful of times. I prefer my coffee black.

Comment

Working...
                                X