Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me something good about white rice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UTfootball747 View Post
    For that matter, sushi doesn't need to contain rice.
    It isn't sushi if it doesn't have sushi rice. Sushi is by definition seasoned and garnished rice. Raw and cooked seafood without sushi rice is sashimi.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
      It isn't sushi if it doesn't have sushi rice. Sushi is by definition seasoned and garnished rice. Raw and cooked seafood without sushi rice is sashimi.
      You are correct...but I dare say it's fairly common for the word "sushi" to be used (in the U.S.) to generally refer to those small, individual pieces of seafood or vegetables served with or without rice, or rolled with or without rice, whether they're actually referring to sashimi, nigiri, maki, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by UTfootball747 View Post
        You are correct...but I dare say it's fairly common for the word "sushi" to be used (in the U.S.) to generally refer to those small, individual pieces of seafood or vegetables served with or without rice, or rolled with or without rice, whether they're actually referring to sashimi, nigiri, maki, etc.
        I've eaten in Japanese restaurants all over the country. I've never seen sashimi called "sushi" anywhere, not in restaurants or in supermarkets.

Of course, I haven't in Texas.

Comment

White Rice is basically a last resort, or if I want something quickly. Maybe 1..2 times per week.

I have no issues with it, but I don't feel as good as normal waking up after it. Definitely a difference there. Plus, my craps are...well, not as precise, after I've eaten it.

Comment

It's a safe source of starch and a delicious vehicle for various Asian dishes. Plus it spares the liver from going to the trouble of gluconeogenesis when eaten after activity.
            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Yep, white rice is far better than most paleo people think, a great starch post workout that makes you feel great the day after! Just don't overdo it, since it may spill over to fat more easily...
              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

uh tell me about it, I love eating rice mostly for that taste and because it has B vitamins that help me. That's pretty much it.

Comment

This is strange...I found this thread because I googled, "Why do I feel better when I eat white rice?" A week or two ago I wasn't feeling well and cooked up some white rice, which I hadn't eaten in many years, like maybe ten years. I was very surprised by how much better I felt a short while after I ate the rice with some butter and a little salt. It wasn't a sugar rush, either; I know what that feels like and I don't think of that as "feeling better." It wasn't an energy rush followed by a crash. It was just a sense of feeling better. I've never felt that with any carb before.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                    Yeah, somebody here mentioned bacon and butter fried rice and it amazed me that I never thought of making that myself, being a fat kid at heart. It does make sense that it'd be viewed as the poor man's breakfast. I sure do love it.
                    Rice with salt and fat is just another example of why carbs+fat is possibly the best taste ever.

Originally posted by ToldUzo View Post
                    I love white rice too.. but after reading that it contains high leves of arsenic (all rice does - some more than others) I try to eat as little as possible of it.
                    Arsenic levels are due to farming techniques (soil contaminated with old pesticides) so its entirely possible to buy rice from regions where arsenic shouldn't be a problem. Additionally washing the rice removes some of the arsenic.
                    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

A null food; neither good nor bad. A grain, but so processed that most of the negativity is gone. Stretches the food dollar. A quarter cup of uncooked rice has about 33 grams of carb, 3 grams of protein, 150 calories, cooks up to about 3/4 of a cup of cooked rice, and can stretch a meal nicely for pennies. Used judiciously, can be eaten daily while still keeping below 100 grams of carbs.

I cook mine twice to get all that gooey delicious starch.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                        White rice keeps my boyfriend from getting too thin. When he just eats my food he loses weight, and doesn't need to.
                        Yeah, my BF has the same problem. Rice definitely helps him to keep from losing too much.

Comment

When I am sick, or have an icky stomach every now and then, white rice with a bit of butter and salt is all I can tolerate. And if there is a soup or dish that is otherwise primal, but has a little rice in it, I'll will still eat it. I just try not to have too much of it. Same deal with potatoes.

Comment

I have rice maybe 2-3 a week.
                            It's tasty and a great vechile for flavours / sauces/ juices.
                            Usually make my own sushi rolls & pilaffs .
                            I find it easier to eat more rice than potatoes

From London England UK

Comment

LOL - ironically I started this thread topic because I was obsessed with rice, and now I don't eat it any more! I feel infinitely more vibrant and have a much more regulated appetite now that starch is out of my life

Originally posted by Greenbean View Post
                              This is strange...I found this thread because I googled, "Why do I feel better when I eat white rice?" A week or two ago I wasn't feeling well and cooked up some white rice, which I hadn't eaten in many years, like maybe ten years. I was very surprised by how much better I felt a short while after I ate the rice with some butter and a little salt. It wasn't a sugar rush, either; I know what that feels like and I don't think of that as "feeling better." It wasn't an energy rush followed by a crash. It was just a sense of feeling better. I've never felt that with any carb before.
                              How low carb are you? When I was low carb any carb injection felt like the best meal I'd ever eaten.
                              "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Because it's part of the perfect health diet...

The Diet - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

Comment

Working...
                                X