Drinking Water / Storage Inquiry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking Water / Storage Inquiry

So I'm one of those "if you can get it from earth why the hell would you get it from somewhere else" people. I've been drinking water out of the tap for years because I lived way out in the boonies and drew the water from the waterfall next to my house. Sadly now that I've moved to this new house, the tap water is city water. I'm still don't 100% buy into this "too much contamination from medicines, flouride, etc. etc." but I can say the water does not taste like what I've been drinking at my old place.

Anyway, I do fancy the FindASpring website, but unfortunately the closest access points I've been able to find thus far are an hour out. If I were to constantly venture to these sites and they remained distant, does anyone have any good recommendations on larger containers that don't bleed bad stuffs I can fill up and pack my car with so I'm not driving a billion miles a week/month to refill clean water.

Moreso, can anyone offer me any ideas on what other options I might be able to seek out?

Thanks!

Chris

P.S. If anyone knows how to geographically shift chunks of Earth so I can get a fresh spring by me that would work too :P

bump

Comment

Glass containers would be the most optimal, but they can get kind of heavy when filled with lots of water and are prone to breaking (for obvious reasons)...

You can get BPA-free plastic containers if you know where to go... Or just order 'em online.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Old Stainless steel beer kegs if you can find them or get a couple made up for the purpose.
        "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Thanks! Any thoughts on the actual water?

Comment

I refill my glass S. Pellegrino bottles. Also I boil my water coming out of the tap because paranoia of the bacteria.
            My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Good stuff! Keep it coming ~

Comment

The FindASpring site actually mentions using glass carboys for water storage:
                FAQ

I think I read somewhere that people also sell them on Craigslist.

Comment

Originally posted by CxHealth View Post
                  P.S. If anyone knows how to geographically shift chunks of Earth so I can get a fresh spring by me that would work too :P
                  We had an artezic well drilled on our land. About 30 m deep, only at the beginning the pressure was strong enough to get the water out of the hole by itself, now we use electric pump. The geologists who made the well said that there is enough water for home use + swimming pool, but not for industrial use (like water business - selling it to shops).

Comment

That's fantastic Seal. Unfortunately my bank account doesn't rival my sense of humor hehe :P

Comment

We're currently buying a water filter. There are no springs around here. I wish. And it's against the law to dig a well, anyway the ground water's no good.

I have thought of building a cement tank for rain and flood storage. All the original Spanish had one.
                      "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

I used to always have to put a little lemon in tap water to keep it from giving me heartburn. (My mom got heartburn from water also.) The Brita Filter has let me drink just plain water again. And there's another brand that claims it's even more filtery than Brita. I think it's PUR. Might be good back-up for when you can't get out to gather water.
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I use a Brita pitcher. It's cheap, other than having to replace the filter every 3-6 months, depending. And the nasty city tap water tastes drinkable with it.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys! Good to get some different angles to try.

Comment

Good, bad - I dont know but we have an RO system for our drinking/cooking water, and we have well water otherwise. DH was born with one kidney so he likes RO water, and honestly, I have never researched it.
                              65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Working...
                              X