Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to tell those who claim being vegan is "heart healthy"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to tell those who claim being vegan is "heart healthy"?

Many people tend to argue that being vegan is "heart healthy" because it is generally very low in fat. But we all know dietary fat does not equal body fat. Vegan diets, however, also tend to be pretty high carb, which is not favorable at all. So what is the argument against "low-fat vegan = heart healthy"?
    22 year old male in Pittsburgh. Primal since 9/12.

As a recovering vegan, I will tell you that for most vegans, veganism is an ideology. By nature, ideologies are not based on common sense, rationality, etc. Therefore a rational discussion about the science of nutrition is highly unlikely to occur. This isn't all vegans of course, but I would bet the majority near your age. You will most likely offend them. Best bet it is to get them asking you questions when they notice how (truly) healthy you are living a Primal lifestyle. (For many vegans in their early 20's veganism is just a phase/attempt to be cool and/or an attempt to cast a veil of legitimacy over an eating disorder.)

Comment

tell them that they're wrong about thinking that (healthy) animal products are bad for your heart.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmormon View Post
        As a recovering vegan, I will tell you that for most vegans, veganism is an ideology. By nature, ideologies are not based on common sense, rationality, etc. Therefore a rational discussion about the science of nutrition is highly unlikely to occur. This isn't all vegans of course, but I would bet the majority near your age. You will most likely offend them. Best bet it is to get them asking you questions when they notice how (truly) healthy you are living a Primal lifestyle. (For many vegans in their early 20's veganism is just a phase/attempt to be cool and/or an attempt to cast a veil of legitimacy over an eating disorder.)
        You are 100% correct. Food lifestyles are like politics - you'll never get anywhere arguing logic (primal) vs. emotion (vegan). I'd just say that you disagree, it works for you, and people are free to eat what they want.

Comment

Tell them that St. T. Colin Campbell deliberately misinterpreted the data he used to write The China Study, and give them this link full of analysis debunking it.

Comment

Barnard, Essylstyn and Ornish have had success reversing heart disease and diabetes. I think Ornish uses fish oil though, the first 2 are vegan but they're very very strict and compltely free of all oils and refined carbs.

Comment

People's beliefs about food aren't really about food. I never really know what to say, I think the best thing is to just be a shining example and love them anyway.
              My Walk From West Coast to East Coast

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81011.html

Comment

Just dont argue with people about diet. No ones opinion will change and most of the time you will both be wrong.
                Last edited by Zach; 03-20-2013, 05:29 PM.

Comment

You can send your vegan friends this video; a long-term vegan admits it's crazy and explains why...

The Vegetarian Myth - YouTube

Comment

I'm more interested in why a vegan diet is not heart healthy than actually seeking out arguments about it...
                    22 year old male in Pittsburgh. Primal since 9/12.

Comment

It's not rocket science, the heart needs animal fat / saturated fat, and cholesterol. Eating vegis is good, but not getting fat-soluable vitamins is suicide.

The ex-vegan lady explains a lot in her video, she's pretty smart.

Comment

I'm thinking that a vegan diet low in processed foods will mostly be bad for the lack of nutrients in it- the fat-soluble ones such as A, D, and E, the B vitamins, etc, as well as the lack of natural omega-3 oils (I don't think the plant-based ones work quite the same way).

Thinking about it, most of the "heart healthy" is based on the misconception that fat causes heart disease. In reality, it is injuries and inflammation of the blood vessels that then have to heal over. If the vegan is avoiding things that cause the damage and getting all their nutrients, I can't see why a vegan diet wouldn't be healthy.

That being said, veg* can be very difficult for a lot of people to do properly without becoming malnourished.

Comment

Comment

I just listened to a podcast with Denise Minger who was a Vegetarian/Raw Vegan for most of her life discuss vegetarians/vegans and heart disease. You can find some of her analysis here.

Vegetarians and Heart Disease: Will Ditching Meat Really Save Your Arteries? | Raw Food SOS

On the podcast with Sean Croxton of Underground Wellness during the Paleo Summit, Denise Minger mentioned that one of the oriingal pioneers of the vegan movement Jan Dinshah, died recently of heart disease. Despite following the raw vegan principles in which he incorporated for 40+ years, heart disease still got him.

Jay Dinshah was the founder of the American Vegan Society. He died in 2000 of a heart attack at age 66.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._Jay_Dinshah
                            Last edited by Balance; 03-20-2013, 06:20 PM.
                            "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                              Barnard, Essylstyn and Ornish have had success reversing heart disease and diabetes. I think Ornish uses fish oil though, the first 2 are vegan but they're very very strict and compltely free of all oils and refined carbs.
                              Most of the numbers I've seen don't support that they have reversed diabetes. While I think most will see improved numbers by taking any path outside of sad, particularily if it results in weight loss, the numbers I have seen don't reflect anything close to diabetic reversal. I see a lot of a1c's in the 6's which to the ADA is great but to most its a failure.

Comment

Working...
                              X