No announcement yet.

Coconut oil giving me stomach pains?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It makes me gag. If I did get it down, it would clean me right out. The only thing I use it for is frying french fries, and that hasn't happened in almost a year. And for that I use the refined type, so there's no coconut flavor.

Comment

Honestly it sounds like you have a mild food allergy to coconuts. My stomach behaves the same way when I have soybean oil, and I am allergic to soy. I would just not use coconut oil. There are plenty of other oils you can use, and you don't always have to use oil. When stir frying you can use butter instead, and when baking you can actually use applesauce, banana, or guacamole in place of oil.
      Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
      Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
      Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
      F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

How much are you eating?

If you're eating it straight from the jar or drinking it in tea, that's a little silly. Consuming an isolated fat like that can easily cause gut irritation since your body isn't exactly designed to eat pure, isolated fat by the spoonful.

As for cooking with it, are you someone that insists frying everything in several tablespoons of oil? I can cook 3 lbs of chicken in approximately 1 teaspoon of fat. Maybe try reducing the quantity.
        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
          I can cook 3 lbs of chicken in approximately 1 teaspoon of fat.
          If the chicken's got skin, it greases the pan itself.

Comment

I've found coconut oil in smaller doses seems to be working fine for me now. I don't try eating it by the spoonful or using it in my coffee but I can use it for frying and sauteing now and no issues.
            High Weight: 225
            Weight at start of Primal: 189
            Current Weight: 174
            Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
              If the chicken's got skin, it greases the pan itself.
              I like to high heat sear a lot of meats in cast iron so I usually need just enough to make the bottom non-stick.
              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

My vote is "if it hurts, don't eat it." Or at least cut back until you have adapted. Scallops make me retch. I don't think it's because they're cleansing my system; I'm just not meant to eat them.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

when i first started eating it i got cramps for a week or so. they went away and now i have no problems. i do think it's an adaptation to lauric acid content. BUT as most said, if it doesn't work for you...don't bother.
                  i would think that you would react the least to coconut oil (coconut cream/milk often have guar gum which irritates my gut). remember, every body is different so listen to yours, not everyone elses!

Comment

Stick with macadamia nut oil for cooking instead!

Comment

Working...
                    X