So. Fish oil brands.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So. Fish oil brands.

I used to take fish oil supplements (GNC brand) last year, but I fell out of the habit. Now I'm trying to get back on because I really dislike (most) fish. I was going to go Nordic Naturals, but it's something like $40 US for a bottle of 60 @ 1k mg or there abouts. Goodness.

Last night at the CVS, I spotted a $9 bottle for 60 @ 1.2k mg if I remember.

Naturally, I'm skeptical. Googling about says yay for CVS brand, and nay for CVS brand.

So I'm hoping some of you guys here would have insights as to which companies are on top at the moment. I'd like higher concentration (1k +) per capsule, but it's not an absolute requirement.

Thanks!

M.

No supplement, just eat fish often.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
      I really dislike (most) fish.
      Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
      just eat fish often.
      be the hair that knots with my hair
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

If you are going to buy Omega 3 from CVS buy the Algal-900 DHA. It doesn't have that fishy after taste.

Algae is the only plant source of Omega 3 DHA (I believe all other plant sources are ALA) and is source from where wild caught salmon gets it Omega 3s. Your body needs EPA and DHA.

Your body can covert the DHA to EPA much more easily than it can EPA to DHA. Flax oil, for example, is ALA so your body needs to convert it into EPA and then to DHA. According to Matt Lalonde the conversion rate from ALA to EPA is .2%. So for every $100 of ALA you buy you only get about 2 cents worth of EPA. ALA to DHA is nearly 0. Lalonde believes the supplement of choice should be DHA.

Ok, that the long winded reasoning behind saying... read the label and if it says Omega 3 ALA put it back on the self. Don't waste your money. You want the label to say EPA and DHA or just DHA.
        Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

I think they should make a garlic and lemon flavored cod liver oil.

Comment

I get wild caught sardines delivered every month and I go through those like water. I love the taste. I stopped taking fish oil pills about a year ago, maybe more. I do take cod liver oil about three times a week, even though it's not quite the same.
            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I just bought the Carlson's brand FO off Amazon. It can be also chewed. Prior to that I've used the GNC brand for a while. Whatever kind you get make sure the expiration date is not within a year or so and that you store it in a refrigerator.

Comment

Just figure if you buy some cheapo fish oil, it's gonna be from farm-raised fish (lots of health concerns there, especially with the new GMO AquaAdvantage salmon out there), and it could be whatever oil was left over after the good stuff was strained out for the expensive brands (that's true of cheap olive oil, I've heard--it's the runoff from the expensive stuff, yuck).

I dunno, fish oil creeps me out. If you're going to take it, I think you'd better spring for the expensive stuff that actually makes some health claims. Maybe you need more practice cooking salmon--it can be tastier and less fishy if you cook it a little longer than seems necessary, from my experience, though even wild fish makes me wary nowadays, what with how much pollution is in the waterways... industrial waste, all the poop from the factory farms, sewage... it's still (probably?) better than the farm-raised stuff.

Comment

I order my fish oil from Vitamin World. I get the triple strength capsules, almost a thousand miligrams of epa and dha fish oil in one capsule. They say to take one capsule a day, but my cardiologist said 2. $29 for 180 capsules. They seem to be doing the job. Hope this helps.

Comment

If you do a search, you'll find a lot of these conversations. Robb Wolf, Chris Kresser, and Paul Jaminet have all written extensively about this subject. Eating 1lb of fatty fish a week is much better than taking fish oil. If you insist on fish oil, you want to take fermented cod liver oil. If you won't take that, then something like Nordic Naturals, as a bandaid.

Comment

If you're not eating fish, and you absolutely refuse to do so, then I recommend investing the money you'd otherwise spend on fish in some high quality fish oil/fermented cod liver oil. Green Pastures has some excellent selections, and although pricy, are well worth what you pay.

As a side note, one of the authors of a blog I follow forced himself to eat sardines in order to "acquire" the taste. Now he has absolutely no issue with eating fish. You could try a similar procedure.
                      Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

Comment

I take Mark's Omega-3 Oil, it's nearly the only one made from wild northern wild fish - think of that, real fish, no plants. I'd tried many other brands before and all of them upset my digestion. It is expensive, for me it's very worth it.
                        "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
                          I used to take fish oil supplements (GNC brand) last year, but I fell out of the habit. Now I'm trying to get back on because I really dislike (most) fish. I was going to go Nordic Naturals, but it's something like $40 US for a bottle of 60 @ 1k mg or there abouts. Goodness.

Last night at the CVS, I spotted a $9 bottle for 60 @ 1.2k mg if I remember.

Naturally, I'm skeptical. Googling about says yay for CVS brand, and nay for CVS brand.

So I'm hoping some of you guys here would have insights as to which companies are on top at the moment. I'd like higher concentration (1k +) per capsule, but it's not an absolute requirement.

Thanks!

M.
                          If you're not up for eating fish regularly, Green Pasture offers cod liver oil. Since it's not cheap, I settle for one of these from Now Foods:

Ultra Omega-3 - 180 Softgels - NOW Foods

DHA-500 - 180 Softgels - NOW Foods

Both are very good and the choice depends on the ratio EPA/DHA you want to have.

Comment

Rancid fish oil is not good for you...
                            So break open a capsule every now and then to check.

I just broke open a can of Bela wild caught Portuguese sardines.
                            Skin, bones, cayenne,virgin olive oil.... mmmm

The Great Sardine Taste-off – best canned sardines

Comment

Ascenta, NutraSea, Balanced EPA & DHA Omega-3 Supplement, Lemon Flavor, 16.9 fl oz (500 ml) - iHerb.com

Very clean. It must be stored in the fridge, zero smell or after taste. Very high in DHA/EPA 500mg of DHA and 750mg of EPA per teaspoon. Its so good you could make a salad dressing with it.

If you use iherb coupon code ZUH430 for 10 bucks

Amazon and other retailers have it as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X