Just another "no weight loss" thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nm, the OP dealt with it.

Yes, midwifery work -- like nursing -- is actually a lot of physical work for long and strange hours.

But, exercise will also make a big difference. Even just going for walks now and again.
    Last edited by zoebird; 03-17-2013, 03:20 PM.

Comment

You've lost 4 kg. That's an average of 1 kg (2.2lbs) per week which is pretty much the recommended rate at which to lose weight if not slightly faster. Just because it wasn't 1 each week doesn't mean you're doing something wrong. You have to look at the big picture.

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
        Counting calories is hard because of the variations in advertised vs reality.
        Right. It also doesn't seem like people really need as much calories as they make it out to be. It really does depend on ones activity level and life situation.

Take Mark Sisson for example. I don't recall the exact numbers, but if I recall, he doesn't really eat a real lot of calories. And the thing people could easily misunderstand is that he is an active guy and also doesn't have any weight to lose. He's also a male. So looking at it from a realistic viewpoint, a sedentary female who has A LOT of weight to lose, probably has to consume at least 1500 calories less per day than he does in order to achieve any sort of meaningful weight loss; and I'm talking about a measly 2 lbs per week!

The truth is, a sedentary or obese man or woman needs to cut calories significantly, otherwise the fat loss takes way too long. Exercise more and the problem is solved.

If you are serious about it, come up with a meal plan you can replicate (very closely) every day for 3-4 weeks. Eat almost the exact same thing daily. If you maintained on what you were eating, cut something out like the butter, cheese, etc... shoot for a 500 calorie reduction per day, then eat the same thing again for the next month.
        As boring as it sounds, I totally agree 100%. Sure, you can still get descent results while changing it up every day. That's always what I've done. However, keeping things the same every day is a no brainer way to get the results you want, if you can actually adhere to it; if the fat isn't coming off, drop calories down a little bit more, nothing complicated. Simple as that.

It sounds harder than it is, but counting calories often gives one a false sense of what they are really getting.
        Yeah, but if you eat the right foods you'll feel stuffed even if you're in a calorie deficit. However, because of the psychological affects you discuss, I've personally found it best to plan to consume much fewer calories than what you'd calculate to be necessary. The first reason is because you get faster results. The second reason is because if you slip and eat more on some days, your calories are still rather low.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsxtro View Post
          Hi all.
          New to this way of eating.
          42 year old female, 160cms short (5 foot 2 inches), 87 kilos (191 pounds). Have no known food intolerances. Obviously need to lose at least 20 kilos.
          Cut out all processed carbs and sugar 4 weeks ago. Lost 3 kilos first week, 1kg second week, absolutely nothing in the last 2 weeks.
          Breakfast consists of either eggs (1x fried or 2x scrambled) and bacon or a banana smoothie (milk, banana and greek yoghurt). Sometimes I will also have a small bowl of raspberries and greek yoghurt if I don't feel satisfied.
          Lunch is salad and protein (ham, salmon, chicken etc).
          Afternoon snack if hungry is usually 6-8 nuts (cashews, macadamias, pistachios) and some cheese.
          Dinner is salad or veges plus protein (steak, chicken, fish etc.). Sometimes I will have a small bowl of raspberries and greek yoghurt after dinner if I don't feel satisfied.
          I don't usually feel hungry between meals, sugar cravings are mostly gone, am in ketosis (as per the pee stick things). I do track my calories intermittently and average between 1200-1400 calories a day, 60-70% fat, around 30% protein and 5% carbs.
          I must admit to having a mostly sedentary life except for the 2-3x 12 hour shifts a week I work as a midwife. I know this is something I really need to work on.
          I sleep well (7-9 hours a night usually) and have a fairly low-stress life.
          Right, so now you know all the stats can someone please tell me why I have not lost any weight for two weeks??? Getting quite frustrated.
          Thanks in advance for any advice.
          -Kristine
          I would just drop the calories a bit more. Try to do it in such a way that makes it easier to do so.

1. Try just to meals per day instead of 3. Skip breakfast.
          2. Subtract all the foods that are too dense in calories. Stop drinking your calories. And skip out on the nuts. Skip out on the yogurt. The meat should be fine however.
          3. If you still feel hungry, eat A LOT more vegetables such as peppers. You can also temporarily opt for more lean sources of protein. That way you can eat more volume of food. Examples would be leaner beef and ham, and egg whites. (Note: I'm not saying fat is bad for your or anything. But it's easier during the fat loss process to decrease it for a while.)

Comment

Why cut calories further?,
            She's already down and only 4weeks into Primal, I hardly think a 2week stall is enough time to determine there is a calorific issue, her body still needs time to adjust and slight hunger is part of that because of the different food types, there is no need to agravate that further by additionally dropping calories.
            "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
              Why cut calories further?,
              She's already down and only 4weeks into Primal, I hardly think a 2week stall is enough time to determine there is a calorific issue, her body still needs time to adjust and slight hunger is part of that because of the different food types, there is no need to agravate that further by additionally dropping calories.
              I would agree with this. Eliminating snacking, and cutting down on the nuts and dairy might be a good idea, but I think it's too early to say that this stall is permanent, and she needs to cut calories further.

Comment

Working...
              X