Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does caffeine stop absorption of vits and mins?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does caffeine stop absorption of vits and mins?

    I take my supplements mid-morning (an hour or two after my coffee) because I've heard that caffeine inhibits the absorption of vitamins and minerals.

    True or false?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  • #2
    Not sure but I do the same thing. I think it's because I heard that coffee causes your stomach to eliminate it's contents quicker than usual so it's best to avoid drinking coffee while eating.

    I kind of took that as well.. if the vitamins aren't being broken down fully in my stomach they won't be absorbed in my intestines as well as they should be. Intuitive thinking but I could be totally wrong.

    Comment


    • #3
      Only iron, and this is hardly a bad thing. I slam down supplements with coffee and can feel their effect in minutes. Your digestion plays a big part in how quickly you absorb supplements, so, theoretically, coffee can only help with this.
      Make America Great Again

      Comment


      • #4
        I know caffeine can effect iron absorption quite a bit, though if you eat plenty of animal products, this is nothing to worry about. As for other nutrients, I am not as sure. My two cents is that I am drinking a fair amount of tea with meals these days and I still feel pretty good, so probably not as much.
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

        Comment


        • #5
          Coffee only really has one benefit aside from being a "pleasure drug of addiction" and that is stimulating the release of Free Fatty acids through increasing stress, so if you aren't downing your coffee and then immediately going into a hard workout, then it really has no benefits and is pretty much detrimantal and yes the caffeine does affect the absorption of a variety of nutrients.

          Argueing that coffee is healthy is a relative argument, healthier than what.
          It's like the "Whole grains are healthier than processed grains" argument, but no grains are 100 times healthier.

          I do like my coffee and drink it daily, but don't delude myself, it is definately part of the 20% non primal.
          "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Omni View Post
            Coffee only really has one benefit aside from being a "pleasure drug of addiction" and that is stimulating the release of Free Fatty acids through increasing stress, so if you aren't downing your coffee and then immediately going into a hard workout, then it really has no benefits and is pretty much detrimantal and yes the caffeine does affect the absorption of a variety of nutrients.

            Argueing that coffee is healthy is a relative argument, healthier than what.
            It's like the "Whole grains are healthier than processed grains" argument, but no grains are 100 times healthier.

            I do like my coffee and drink it daily, but don't delude myself, it is definately part of the 20% non primal.
            In before Derp gets crazy.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Omni View Post
              Coffee only really has one benefit aside from being a "pleasure drug of addiction" and that is stimulating the release of Free Fatty acids through increasing stress, so if you aren't downing your coffee and then immediately going into a hard workout, then it really has no benefits and is pretty much detrimantal and yes the caffeine does affect the absorption of a variety of nutrients.

              Argueing that coffee is healthy is a relative argument, healthier than what.
              It's like the "Whole grains are healthier than processed grains" argument, but no grains are 100 times healthier.

              I do like my coffee and drink it daily, but don't delude myself, it is definately part of the 20% non primal.


              First, try giving legitimate context and sources for your claims, because this is clearly opinion based. Then, try refuting the many claims backed up with context in this:

              Caffeine: A vitamin-like nutrient, or adaptogen. Questions about tea and coffee, cancer and other degenerative diseases, and the hormones.

              Then we'll talk.
              Make America Great Again

              Comment


              • #8
                I've been coffee-less all week and feel really good. I don't miss it at all. I've had my morning large mug of strong brewed French roast every day for about 15 years.
                ~ducking under my desk before someone stars chucking stuff at me~

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Omni View Post
                  Argueing that coffee is healthy is a relative argument, healthier than what.
                  It's like the "Whole grains are healthier than processed grains" argument, but no grains are 100 times healthier.

                  I do like my coffee and drink it daily, but don't delude myself, it is definately part of the 20% non primal.
                  But even Mark drinks coffee.... with sugar! How can you say that coffee isn't Primal? That bit of leeway is the whole reason I'm on this godforsaken site...
                  "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                  In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                  - Ray Peat

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Graycat View Post
                    I've been coffee-less all week and feel really good. I don't miss it at all. I've had my morning large mug of strong brewed French roast every day for about 15 years.
                    ~ducking under my desk before someone stars chucking stuff at me~
                    Honestly, I gave up coffee for a year, and noticed no discernible improvements in my health. Didn't sleep any better, energy wasn't better... umm, what else is giving up caffeine supposed to help with?

                    If I drink 6+ cups of strong joe a day I do get anxious but too much of anything is not a good thing.
                    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                    - Ray Peat

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                      Only iron, and this is hardly a bad thing. I slam down supplements with coffee and can feel their effect in minutes. Your digestion plays a big part in how quickly you absorb supplements, so, theoretically, coffee can only help with this.
                      Originally posted by JesseJe View Post
                      Not sure but I do the same thing. I think it's because I heard that coffee causes your stomach to eliminate it's contents quicker than usual so it's best to avoid drinking coffee while eating.

                      I kind of took that as well.. if the vitamins aren't being broken down fully in my stomach they won't be absorbed in my intestines as well as they should be. Intuitive thinking but I could be totally wrong.
                      Two completely opposing views...both make sense. In one sense, caffeine speeds up metabolism, thereby increasing absorption. In another sense, caffeine aggravates the intestinal wall, thereby causing faster elimination of only-partially digested matter.

                      I know which theory I prefer... but which is true?

                      Derp, how does coffee prevent absorption of iron, but not other minerals?
                      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                      In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                      - Ray Peat

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by YogaBare View Post

                        Derp, how does coffee prevent absorption of iron, but not other minerals?
                        It's the polyphenol compounds in coffee and tea that can impede absorption of iron when ingested at the same time

                        Inhibition of food iron absorption by coffee.
                        Make America Great Again

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                          But even Mark drinks coffee.... with sugar! How can you say that coffee isn't Primal? That bit of leeway is the whole reason I'm on this godforsaken site...
                          Remember he invented the 80:20 rule, is it part of his 20%?
                          The rule is 80% Primal 20% Non Primal isn't it?

                          In addition to this everytime he talks about coffee (that I've seen) he always say's you should use it as a tool, drink your coffee and enjoy it, but then go out and burn off the Free Fatty acids that are released into the bloodstream, don't just lounge around while they are re-absorbed back into your adipose tissue, your body would just have ramped up it's fight/flight response to no avail.

                          Everyone's got a different opinion on the coffee, there is plenty of selective research that can be gathered to support both pro's & con's. Most from either side will agree that caffeine is treated by our bodies more like a drug than a nutrient, so in my mind we all generally have goals to minimise long term medication and that's where I see it, if you need it to get you going, sharpen your reflexes, dull a headache, then there is an underlying problem that needs to be addressed and coffee is drinking is only a symptomatic treatment and does not address the root cause.
                          Otherwise people would not suffer withdrawal symptoms when they stopped drinking coffee.

                          That's just my opinion on coffee based on what I have read, I can say the few times I have stopped I do actually feel lighter and clearer, so I should probably chuck it, but maybe I'm not ready yet.
                          Last edited by Omni; 03-16-2013, 09:19 PM.
                          "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Omni View Post
                            Remember he invented the 80:20 rule, is it part of his 20%?
                            The rule is 80% Primal 20% Non Primal isn't it?

                            In addition to this everytime he talks about coffee (that I've seen) he always say's you should use it as a tool, drink your coffee and enjoy it, but then go out and burn off the Free Fatty acids that are released into the bloodstream, don't just lounge around while they are re-absorbed back into your adipose tissue, your body would just have ramped up it's fight/flight response to no avail.

                            Everyone's got a different opinion on the coffee, there is plenty of selective research that can be gathered to support both pro's & con's. Most from either side will agree that caffeine is treated by our bodies more like a drug than a nutrient, so in my mind we all generally have goals to minimise long term medication and that's where I see it, if you need it to get you going, sharpen your reflexes, dull a headache, then there is an underlying problem that needs to be addressed and coffee is drinking is only a symptomatic treatment and does not address the root cause.
                            Otherwise people would not suffer withdrawal symptoms when they stopped drinking coffee.

                            That's just my opinion on coffee based on what I have read, I can say the few times I have stopped I do actually feel lighter and clearer, so I should probably chuck it, but maybe I'm not ready yet.
                            I hear you. I still don't know where I stand on it. Too much makes me really anxious. But I did give it up for a year at one stage, and in all honesty it didn't really change... anything! In moderation it seems pretty innocuous, and I love it so... meh.

                            Btw my last post was tongue-in-cheek
                            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                            In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                            - Ray Peat

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Omni View Post
                              In addition to this everytime he talks about coffee (that I've seen) he always say's you should use it as a tool, drink your coffee and enjoy it, but then go out and burn off the Free Fatty acids that are released into the bloodstream, don't just lounge around while they are re-absorbed back into your adipose tissue, your body would just have ramped up it's fight/flight response to no avail.

                              Everyone's got a different opinion on the coffee, there is plenty of selective research that can be gathered to support both pro's & con's. Most from either side will agree that caffeine is treated by our bodies more like a drug than a nutrient, so in my mind we all generally have goals to minimise long term medication and that's where I see it, if you need it to get you going, sharpen your reflexes, dull a headache, then there is an underlying problem that needs to be addressed and coffee is drinking is only a symptomatic treatment and does not address the root cause.
                              Otherwise people would not suffer withdrawal symptoms when they stopped drinking coffee.
                              Also, every time Mark talks about coffee he adds a big fat caveat that everybody around here chooses to ignore. He says that it is OK in moderation *as long as it is not being used as an energy crutch*. Most people stop listening after the OK part.

                              Yes, it is a drug. Derp may think drug dependency is no big deal. Seeing as how he smokes cigarettes and talks about doing Coke (both liquid and powdered varieties), I would wonder about the objectivity of his advice.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X