Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does caffeine stop absorption of vits and mins?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
    It's the polyphenol compounds in coffee and tea that can impede absorption of iron when ingested at the same time

    Inhibition of food iron absorption by coffee.
    Interesting. I did a bit of research and a ton of sites (credible ones, like LiveStrong, Men's Health, and Vegan Health Guide ) all claimed that caffeine blocked calcium absorption. I found the study they cited: Effects of caffeine on bone and the calciu... [Food Chem Toxicol. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

    First line:
    Caffeine-containing beverage consumption has been reported to be associated with reduced bone mass and increased fracture risk in some, but not most, observational studies.

    ....The negative effect of caffeine on calcium absorption is small enough to be fully offset by as little as 1-2 tablespoons of milk......

    There is no evidence that caffeine has any harmful effect on bone status or on the calcium economy in individuals who ingest the currently recommended daily allowances of calcium.

    I guess for vegans it would be a problem, but the rest of us should be ok
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      Also, every time Mark talks about coffee he adds a big fat caveat that everybody around here chooses to ignore. He says that it is OK in moderation *as long as it is not being used as an energy crutch*. Most people stop listening after the OK part.
      I agree with that - it's my current stance too.
      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

      In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

      - Ray Peat

      Comment


      • #18
        But isn't the possibility of coffee blocking or or hindering to some extent mineral and other nutrients absorption a moot point in a case where coffee is consumed on an empty stomach and the first meal of the day is hours later?

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Graycat View Post
          But isn't the possibility of coffee blocking or or hindering to some extent mineral and other nutrients absorption a moot point in a case where coffee is consumed on an empty stomach and the first meal of the day is hours later?
          If that's how you take your coffee - sure! If you have breakfast and take supplements first thing in the morning then it's worth considering.
          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

          In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

          - Ray Peat

          Comment


          • #20


            Caffeine is not a drug, it's a nutrient. Just because it gives you a "boost", doesn't make it unnatural. I swear, you purists are something else.

            Just an observation, but have you ever noticed how many older people who have kept perfect cognitive function well into their older age all both smoke, and drink liberal amounts of coffee?
            Make America Great Again

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
              Interesting. I did a bit of research and a ton of sites (credible ones, like LiveStrong, Men's Health, and Vegan Health Guide ) all claimed that caffeine blocked calcium absorption. I found the study they cited: Effects of caffeine on bone and the calciu... [Food Chem Toxicol. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

              First line:
              Caffeine-containing beverage consumption has been reported to be associated with reduced bone mass and increased fracture risk in some, but not most, observational studies.

              ....The negative effect of caffeine on calcium absorption is small enough to be fully offset by as little as 1-2 tablespoons of milk......

              There is no evidence that caffeine has any harmful effect on bone status or on the calcium economy in individuals who ingest the currently recommended daily allowances of calcium.

              I guess for vegans it would be a problem, but the rest of us should be ok
              Yeah, usually that's the kind of trite nonsense you'll find when you research the harmful effects of coffee, because it really doesn't exist. ^-^

              30 Reasons to Quit Coffee

              Read this and have a good laugh, I know I did.
              Make America Great Again

              Comment


              • #22
                Caffeine is a double-edged sword.

                On the one hand, derp is right. Caffeine itself, and the beverages that contain them (tea, yerba mate, coffee, etc.) all have numerous wonderful health benefits. In the right individuals, these beverages can be extremely beneficial.

                On the other hand, if you find that you can't get the drive to get up and go without your cup o' joe or tea, then you may have an issue. It is when you absolutely NEED your caffeine to get up and go that you might want to lower consumption or even drop it.

                I myself have days where my caffeine intake can get pretty damn high but then the next day, have none and still feel fine. If I ever notice myself needing that daily fix however, losing the drive to accomplish anything, flagging energy without my caffeine then I will dial back or even eliminate it.
                "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                Comment


                • #23
                  I am the same as Drumroll. I have been drinking coffee and caffeine containing beverages nearly all my life, so I have an astounding tolerance to them. I can drink nearly 2 gallons of coffee one day, and have none for a week and be fine. It just depends on the circumstances for me. I enjoy the clarity, warmth, and good mood that coffee provides me among many other benefits. I see no reason to ever give it up.

                  Also, I tried a cold yerba mate beverage the other week, Drumroll, and it was a lot better than the last brewed cup I had. It was pretty refreshing. It was like some raspberry flavored thing.
                  Make America Great Again

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Make America Great Again

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                      Yeah, usually that's the kind of trite nonsense you'll find when you research the harmful effects of coffee, because it really doesn't exist. ^-^

                      30 Reasons to Quit Coffee

                      Read this and have a good laugh, I know I did.
                      "I found myself resorting to a cup of coffee here and there, and the next thing you know I was drinking a cup every day. A very slippery slope."

                      Watch out folks - coffee wrecks lives!!!
                      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                      In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                      - Ray Peat

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        The horror!! Next thing you know she'll be mainlining heroin
                        Make America Great Again

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                          The horror!! Next thing you know she'll be mainlining heroin
                          It's a slippery slope...!
                          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                          In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                          - Ray Peat

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Reminds me of your cunnlingus thread

                            Eheheheh...
                            Make America Great Again

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                              I am the same as Drumroll. I have been drinking coffee and caffeine containing beverages nearly all my life, so I have an astounding tolerance to them. I can drink nearly 2 gallons of coffee one day, and have none for a week and be fine. It just depends on the circumstances for me. I enjoy the clarity, warmth, and good mood that coffee provides me among many other benefits. I see no reason to ever give it up.

                              Also, I tried a cold yerba mate beverage the other week, Drumroll, and it was a lot better than the last brewed cup I had. It was pretty refreshing. It was like some raspberry flavored thing.
                              I don't think I get QUITE as much caffeine as YOU do...

                              And yerba mate just hits me differently than coffee does. I like my coffee, but yerba mate leaves me feeling mellow afterwards. And yes, you can cold-steep mate which produces a less bitter brew. Just place mate in a tea strainer, pour cold water over top and let sit for a while. Can go as many as several hours for a stronger brew. Let it sit in the fridge if you like it to stay cold the whole time it is brewing.

                              I almost seem to have a preference for warm beverages these days though, so I like my mate brewed in a coffee machine and I brew my tea with hot water. I use full leaves only for both my mate and my tea, and with my tea I can even get anal about amount, brewing times, temp, based on the type of tea leaves used. If you are going to drink it, might as well make it right so it tastes good. Or else why bother?

                              You CAN'T justify a cup of over-brewed, bitter leaves as anything BUT a caffeine hit, and then you're kind of missing the zen of tea which is "taking time to properly prepare the leaves, enjoying the aromas, savoring the flavor, and taking a moment to escape the world as you relax with your cup of tea."

                              I rarely make coffee for myself. I do have several AMAZING coffee shops near where I live though, so sometimes if I have a "jive for java," I'll pick one of those places at random and head out to enjoy a cup or two.
                              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                                Caffeine is not a drug, it's a nutrient.
                                If you get withdrawal symptoms from using it regularly and then not having any, it's a drug.

                                But then, you can't expect a junkie to be in anything other than denial. Your poor adrenals.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X