Question for all of you lean people!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phillykid View Post
    Ok "senior member." All you had to say was add in some lifting. I'm a primal rookie which is why i brought up this question. Don't call me a whiner. Don't act like college/work can't get mentally and physically draining at times. I could care less if you're 51 years old. I get 3-4 hours of sleep a night, i mean it when i say i'm tired.
    I've been there and so I understand. I can't tell you how many all nighters I've done studying for a test or trying to finish a lab report.

But I still did lift. I can recall after a heavy deadlift workout, it would leave me so drained for 3 days that I didn't have enough energy to study my hardest and longest. If I had it to do all over again, I probably would have done only 2 workouts per week and I would have included easy weeks or off weeks.

I also might have included a little bit of easy-moderate cardio stuff, because it just makes you feel better and helps you to get better at dealing with stress. Immagine going off to study with a better working brain, an elevated mood, and feeling more relaxed mentally (instead of anxious), because you actually took a little bit of time to get your heart pumping. Nothing too hard.

Comment

Yeah it can get tough. I'm going to try to sleep a little more and wake up earlier to lift. It seems like everyone is putting more emphasis on lifting instead of my calorie intake

Comment

That does make sense though. I cook my eggs with coconut oil and put a good amount of olive oil on my salad. That's almost 800-1000 calories already. But the problem is, they add some flavor. Eggs don't taste as good with cooking spray and i can't eat a salad with a small amount of oil/dressing

Comment

You know, my dinner last night was:

Three cups of mustard greens
          7 egg omlette
          1 lb of ground beef
          1 cup of sauerkraut
          3 tablespoons of coconut oil

Total calories? About 1,850.

That's WITH three tablespoons of oil. As long as you don't go frickin' ABUSIVE with added fats, there is still room for quite a bit in your diet without going crazy on the calorie front.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Drumroll, do you do the one meal a day diet? If so, how's that going for you? I skip breakfast sometimes and it's easy, but i've yet to try fasting until dinner time. And yea i love coconut oil

Comment

Yes Philly, I do. I do a 20/4 split with one large meal consumed pretty slowly.

I have lost a few pounds eating this way, though more than that, I have lost some fat. I still have some fat to lose admittedly, but running off the fast all day has made a huge difference by aiding me in eliminating some of the fat I have. It won't negate the need to lift or do lots of walking and some sprinting from time-to-time, but it'll help.
              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

So what are you doing that only gets you 3-4 hrs of sleep a night? Even in nursing school with a full time job and a kid I got better than that. Tape your lectures and listen while you run/walk, ditch the gripe sessions and the beer nights, STOP playing video games and screwing around in online forums---work smarter, don't surf when you are "studying" and you will have time.

It's not so hard, really.

Comment

I might actually be overstudying. I don't go out much except on saturday nights because i know i can sleep in sundays. Going back to the question, should i add in more lifting or watch calorie intake? Losing body fat is my main goal

Comment

How much do you weigh OP?

Comment

140. I actually gained weight, but got a little leaner in some parts. Stomach fat is the hardest to lose

Comment

Well, in my opinion, you should find the time to gain muscle if you want to get leaner - bulk and cut basically - In my case, I'm only 5'6, 138 lbs and lifting 3 times a week - and eating about 2800 calories. Been gaining about 2 lbs a month. Of course, everyone is different but that's what I think.

Comment

You're gaining weight, but just muscle right? I'm pretty sure my metabolism isn't as fast and that 2,000 calories is good for me. I'm going to try and lift more.

Comment

Well, in a surplus you'll be gaining both muscle and fat but the amount of fat I'm gaining is relatively small to the amount of muscle since my surplus is only about 15-20% of my TDEE. If you are going to "lift more" you'll have to eat more - and get a proper lifting program.

Comment

Of course, well said by Darz. As if you are going to do some more work on your body then definitely it will need more food and calories behind it just to back it up. Otherwise it could even lead to bad effects when doing a lot but not taking enough to back up.

Comment

3-4 hours of sleep means that you shouldn't expect to lose weight, gain muscle or feel good until that can change
                                PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

Working...
                                X