Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BMR for PCOS and Insulin Resistance it may not be what the calculators say.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I started Paleo/Primal 3 months ago. Had ALL my blood work done (well tests that I knew to check for) and here are the results, I am pleased with them but I have concerns.

Lipid Panel: Good Cholesterol is up, so is Bad Cholesterol...it's relative so whatever. Triglycerides which were 335+(docs test maxed out at 335 so it could have been much higher) dropped to 218. Total cholesterol was up but I don't care about that really, the triglycerides are my main issue. Awesome!

Glucose fasting was 106-high but it could have been the strawberries I ate the night before. A1C went from 5.9 to 5.6 and that is great!

Thyroid Panel was all in normal ranges for Free T4/T3 and TSH.

I do have Insulin Resistance/Metabolic Syndrome and PCOS (DHEA-S was high-androgen).

I have lost a few pounds, gone from 215lbs to 199lbs. I walk on average of 3-5 miles 5 days a week.

I have another 55-60lbs to lose to get back to a healthy place where I feel good again. I haven't lost anything in over a month now and I would like to know what I am doing wrong.

I am eating much higher fats than anything else as per many of the diet protocols for PCOSers. I keep my calories at about 1500-2000 a day because of the walking I do (it's not daily walking like counting steps all day, I actually have a set route that I walk that is measured out that is in addition to daily steps). I am in physical therapy to strengthen my lower back and core muscles because being fat has given me a bad lower back. Also, my lower back doesn't curve like most, it's totally flat so I do have some lower back flexibility issues. Anyway, as far as I can tell I am doing everything right. Am I just impatient or is there something I can do to increase losses?

Other health issues: Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Adrenal Fatigue (Severe Panic Disorder inflicted it). High Cholesterol which is getting better.

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated. I am going through all the threads looking for answers or help too.
    Last edited by BellaPorter; 06-09-2013, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasifrass View Post
      Thanks everyone for the advice and the new links for reading material. I couldn't stand it because I really wanted to know so I hopped on the scales and am down 2.5lb in the past week. I am going to stick with what I am doing with the calorie cycling.
      Congrats on the loss. If it's working, stick with it for now, however I hope when you come close to reaching your weight (or plateau, even) try and eat more. You definitely should not be eating so little for so long.

I'm an inch taller than you, and just a bit lighter, and my BMR is ~1600. My mission is to lose weight but not starve myself (this time, hah), so I'm pretty much forcing my body to lose weight at decent calories (2000) as calculators say it should. It's slow, but I feel great. Now that I know the BMR is what it takes to survive if you're literally bed-ridden, it puts a perspective on what my body really needs.

Since you weigh more, your BMR is actually more than mine, according to the calcs.

As you wanted more calculators, here's a few I like.
      IIFYM Calculator
      Health-calc - Energy expenditure adv.

Originally posted by BellaPorter;
      Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated. I am going through all the threads looking for answers or help too.
      I would actually experiment with lowering the fats you consume. Replace it with something of course, as your calorie level looks good. If you do well with starchy carbs, add some in instead. It might help with the Adrenal Fatigue as well...
      Last edited by Nivanthe; 06-10-2013, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X