Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starving!!

Hello all!

I have been following the primal laws for several months now, with great results. The only carbs that I have are from fruit, veggies, nuts and seeds, keeping carbs around 90-100 grams. I am a healthy 38 year old male, who trains with weights, two to three times per week, with cardio, 2 to 3 days as well...

I have been unable to lose the last 10 pounds, so I increased my cardio, to 40 minutes 4 or 5 days per week, and the weight is coming off, and I am looking the best, that I have ever looked. The only problem is that I am constantly starving, If I have a 5 egg omelette with avocado, veggies, and steak, with some fruit, I am starving within 30 minutes. For dinner, its steak, big salad, veggies, and lots of olive oil on my salad, and again, starving within 30 minutes. I have to go home and have a couple handfuls of nuts and a protein shake, and I feel a little better... I am just starving all day long, and even right after all of my meals... Do you think that since I increased my activity level, that I should replace some of the fruit with a little potato or yam, or will much more fat suffice?? Thanks for any help!!

Why replace, if you're burning it off, then ad some sweet potatoe and another dollup of fat.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

If your starving EAT! It is also possible you could just be thirsty and if you feel like you're getting adequate calories try drinking a big glass of water, wait 20 mins and then re-assess.

Comment

In my opinion, it sounds like your body requires more fuel due to the added activity. You could continue to eat as you have been and maybe burn off the last bit of fat/inches and continue to be hungry, but I don't think that's sustainable - and who wants to feel hungry all the time? If it were me, I'd add in some healthy starches like potatoes, sweet potatoes and bananas. There are a bunch of folks here who change their macros depending on what sort of physical activity they're doing that day; perhaps they could offer advice.
        F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

I agree with the others. There is no law that you must only eat breakfast, lunch, dinner. Eat when you're hungry until it normalizes. Add more butter and fats. Add a sweet potato. Don't let you're self be hungry. That'sa recipe to break down and eat 7 pizzas.
          The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Gladmorning View Post
            I agree with the others. There is no law that you must only eat breakfast, lunch, dinner. Eat when you're hungry until it normalizes. Add more butter and fats. Add a sweet potato. Don't let you're self be hungry. That'sa recipe to break down and eat 7 pizzas.
            OP, are you truly starving or are you craving something?

Feeling this hunger or starving sensation immediately after eating is usually a sign of nutrient requirement that has not yet been met.

Comment

I am in the same exact boat as you. Trying to lose last 10, almost same age (I'm 39)..No matter how much or what I eat I am always hungry so I am curious what others come up with.

Comment

Eat more fat with your meals.
                Sandra
                *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Agree with everyone.

PLay around with macronutrients. I personally can't eat a lot of carbs without experiencing blood sugar drops, so I increase my fat instead when very active.

Comment

This is precisely why cardio doesn't work for weight loss.....

Comment

When getting leaner, below 12-14 % of body fat or so, and in a calorie deficit, the body cannot get ready fat fast enough from it's stored fat depots. This is especially the case if doing lot of cardio and low on glycogen, so yes you may be starving and the body sends you intense hunger pangs to signal that it need more food to maintain its activities! Make sure that your calorie deficit is not to big when leaning out, and if doing lots of training you better up your carbs for glycogen replenishment...
                      Last edited by Gorbag; 03-14-2013, 09:30 AM.
                      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Thanks for all of the input. I am definitely hungry, not thirsty, and clearly feel that my body is not getting what it needs. I also experience blood sugar issues, with starches, and/or too many carbs, so I may try to add more fat first... Someone very familiar with this way of living, once told me to make sure that my cardio is very slow, because if I am going too fast, I would deplete my glycogen storage, and would have to eat more carbs to replenish. He said that the wrong workout, could through off the whole diet... That may be my issue, though I feel that my workouts are good, and I am having great results.. As one of you suggested, I may have to implement small amounts of yam, sweet potato, and/or potato...The fact that I am starving after a meal, strongly suggests that I need something more from my meals.... Will try more fat first..... If that does not work, I will add some starch, in place of the fruit... Your thoughts??

Comment

also try adding some organ meats once or twice a week to get a big dose of nutrients, too.

Comment

If your just doing cardio for the last 10 pounds, try take 2-3 days off and maybe just go for a walk on one or two of the days and see if your hunger improves. If it does its the increased energy requirements from the cardio that's causing the hunger
                            A little primal gem - My Success Story
                            Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Comment

I find the extra fat curbs the craving - a few macadamia nuts or avocado with a touch of salt... Definitely don't go hungry - too much temptation to slip.

Comment

Working...
                              X