No announcement yet.

Pregnant + medical issues: please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 to getting wait listed and calling regularly. Explain your situation. Call others covered by your health plan and see if they have appointments sooner. Another option might be an OB that sees a lot of people with thyroid issues and diabetes. Worth calling several offices and seeing if they have a doctor that's very experienced in those areas to at least get you started while you wait for the endo.

Comment

First of all, congrats on your pregnancy!
      Here's also my experience with gestational diabetes testing. I'm 24 weeks pregnant and have a BMI of 31 which qualifies as obese. So the rule in the country I live in is high BMI = gestational diabetes testing. They do this because there is a slightly (small percentage) higher incidence of gd amongst higher BMI's.
      I myself started off as low-carb last year and transitioned in spring to paleo/primal eating fruits but keeping it fairly lc.
      For the GD test they told me I had to eat very high carb (and sugar bleah) 3 days before the test. Seeing as how I hadn't eaten high-carb (nor gluten) in more than a year (and after googling about paleo preggo's that did the test - and noticing that when they didn't carb up for the test they had horrible false-positives) I decided to carb up for the whole week before the test.

Here's the mistakes I made
      - in the first 3 days I only upped the carbs coming in fruits and honey. It was a mistake because last year I discovered I get really horrible blood sugar readings (I have a blood sugar-meter at home) when I eat a lot of fructose. My body is 100% fine handling high amounts of glucose but fructose not so much. Notice: honey, sweet potatoes, coconut-sugar, most fruit have high amounts of fructose. All the stuff you ate the day (or was it the day before) the test were also high-fructose.
      - I took a slightly higher dose of Probiotics because when I eat slightly higher-carb meals I noticed the probiotics makes me feel less bloated and have no heartburns than I would regularly feel otherwise. Turns out that was a really bad idea, at least for me I noticed that WHEN I eat a high-carb diet that probiotics raises my blood-sugar to ...a lot.

Here's the good things I did:
      - I eventually followed the high-carb diet the hospital where I took the test described ( bread meals + a glass of drinking yoghurt in the morning and lunch, a cookie 2 hrs after breakfast, lunch and dinner, plus a small fruit after lunch and dinner, and dinner was always a carb like rice or potatoes and meat and vegetables). It still made me feel sick, but it was the gluten not crazy blood sugar readings.
      - I did specific exercises to quickly lower my blood sugar readings. I learned this one from Tim Ferris. The minimum amount of exercise in order to get maximum effects. Basically 10 minutes before the high-carb breakfast I did as many squats as I could and as many wall push-ups (about 30 of both). Apparently laughing after a high-carb meals also helps as does drinking green tea, and making sure you get enough mangesium (I take supplements in the evening). And sleeping great also gives better sugar-readings.
      - the night before the test I took my maximum magnesium dose my body was used to (not so much, pregnancy makes absorption harder which means nasty bathroom trips if you take too much without it being absorbed)
      - in the morning 15 minutes before the test I did my quick workout in the bathroom at the hospital (they said you're not allowed to work out after you drink not before :P lawyered!)
      - for in the waiting room I took plenty of laughing material (seriously, people were looking really funny at me, I mean have you ever seen someone laugh out loud in the hospital waiting room?!)

Conclusion: I aced it. I don't think I would have otherwise, but I think it would have been a false positive, after such a long time of not eating high-carb my body didn't know what to do with all the carbs.

I don't think what I did was cheating in any way, rather helping my body with all my knowledge through some rough times ( high-carbing made me angry and weepy and inpatient etc. it was hell).
      If you have to do the test, I would suggest you realize that sometimes even though we give our bodies the best odds sometimes especially after years of not giving them what they need that they can still not make a certain test. If you don't then diet (lower carb Paleo/Primal) still remains the best way to control GD, and when all else fails medicine.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Meghanner View Post
        Call the endo's office and speak to the receptionist yourself. Ask them to put you on the waitlist...call every week and you'll get in sooner
        Originally posted by notlupus View Post
        +1 to getting wait listed and calling regularly. Explain your situation. Call others covered by your health plan and see if they have appointments sooner. Another option might be an OB that sees a lot of people with thyroid issues and diabetes. Worth calling several offices and seeing if they have a doctor that's very experienced in those areas to at least get you started while you wait for the endo.
        Thanks for the suggestions. Things work differently here, but I'll do my best to see an endo this week!

Originally posted by dawn297 View Post
        First of all, congrats on your pregnancy!
        Here's also my experience with gestational diabetes testing.
        (...)
        Here's the mistakes I made
        (...)

Here's the good things I did:
        (...)

Conclusion: I aced it. I don't think I would have otherwise, but I think it would have been a false positive, after such a long time of not eating high-carb my body didn't know what to do with all the carbs.

I don't think what I did was cheating in any way, rather helping my body with all my knowledge through some rough times ( high-carbing made me angry and weepy and inpatient etc. it was hell).
        If you have to do the test, I would suggest you realize that sometimes even though we give our bodies the best odds sometimes especially after years of not giving them what they need that they can still not make a certain test. If you don't then diet (lower carb Paleo/Primal) still remains the best way to control GD, and when all else fails medicine.

Good luck!
        This was awesome! I think it's so interesting that fruit was so bad while other carbs were better. I'm seriously considering buying a glucose-meter to keep track of all of this myself.

I'll take into consideration your comments, thanks for taking the time to write this down!
        Height: 5ft 9"
        Current pants size: 20 (Canada sizing).
        Goal: I'll let you know when I've reached it.

“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind
        is a faithful servant. We have created a society that
        honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”
        ~Albert Einstein~

Comment

You're type 2 and don't have a glucose meter? I thought you were from Canada and not Zimbabwe.

Comment

Hi again,

Today I went to the doctor. He said I'm already diabetic (gestational) with a fasting glucose of 119. As many CW doctors, he wants me to eat 50% of my calories in carbs = 210 grs of carbs, and that should control my blood glucose levels
            I have to track my sugar levels while fasting (first thing in the morning), and after every main meal. He wants me to have a fasting glucose of 60-90 mg/dcl, and a post-meal reading of 90-120. If the 210 grams of sugar don't fix my glucose, then he wants to start me on medicine.

My plan is to eat low carb, but aiming to stay between these numbers. He warned me against ketones, since they might harm the baby. I tend to believe ketones are safe, but if I understand correctly, the baby does need available sugar.

So, I guess my question is: will keeping my sugar in these "safe ranges" help have enough sugar in my blood, should my baby need it?

Also, the doctor wants me to lose a lot of weight. He said I should be eating 1750 cals a day, and lose 2 pounds a week. Is it just me, or this sounds extreme?

ETA: Still can't see the endo. I'll do everything I can to see him/her next week at the latest.
            Last edited by Aloe; 03-21-2013, 01:11 PM.

~Albert Einstein~

Comment

I haven't read through the thread, but you do NOT NOT NOT want to try to control hypothryoidism on your own. You NEED the meds to help with it. Your thyroid levels are going to fluctuate while you are pregnant so you need a steady source of the right dosage of meds to keep it under control.

As for the gestational diabetes. Exercising will def help, and keeping the carb intake controlled will be beneficial. I'm not sure if it will keep you from developing it though.
              I had GD with my pregnancy and honestly, it wasn't a big deal. I just followed primal eating after finding out, checked my blood sugar 4x a day (as they want you to) and other than my morning fasting number (had to take something for that), I controlled my blood sugar levels throughout the day through diet.
              DD born August 2012
              TTC #2
              SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
              CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
              Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
              Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

Comment

Originally posted by Aloe View Post
                Hi again,

Today I went to the doctor. He said I'm already diabetic (gestational) with a fasting glucose of 119. As many CW doctors, he wants me to eat 50% of my calories in carbs = 210 grs of carbs, and that should control my blood glucose levels
                I have to track my sugar levels while fasting (first thing in the morning), and after every main meal. He wants me to have a fasting glucose of 60-90 mg/dcl, and a post-meal reading of 90-120. If the 210 grams of sugar don't fix my glucose, then he wants to start me on medicine.

My plan is to eat low carb, but aiming to stay between these numbers. He warned me against ketones, since they might harm the baby. I tend to believe ketones are safe, but if I understand correctly, the baby does need available sugar.

So, I guess my question is: will keeping my sugar in these "safe ranges" help have enough sugar in my blood, should my baby need it?

Also, the doctor wants me to lose a lot of weight. He said I should be eating 1750 cals a day, and lose 2 pounds a week. Is it just me, or this sounds extreme?

ETA: Still can't see the endo. I'll do everything I can to see him/her next week at the latest.
                WTF?? Why is your doctor telling you to lose weight while you are pregnant?? You should not be dieting while pregnant!!!
                Eat HEALTHY, and if weight loss happens, then it happens, but you should not be looking to try to lose weight during a pregnancy, geezus.

210c is so much. They told me I could have 200c a day. I kept my carb intake around 50 or so. Never over 100 most of the time and my pregnancy went great.
                My fasting number in the morning couldn't be controlled so I had to take glyburide(?) for it, but other than that, everything was good.
                With having to take your blood sugar readings so often, you will soon learn what your limits are.
                DD born August 2012
                TTC #2

Comment

Originally posted by LisaLS View Post
                  WTF?? Why is your doctor telling you to lose weight while you are pregnant?? You should not be dieting while pregnant!!!
                  Eat HEALTHY, and if weight loss happens, then it happens, but you should not be looking to try to lose weight during a pregnancy, geezus.

210c is so much. They told me I could have 200c a day. I kept my carb intake around 50 or so. Never over 100 most of the time and my pregnancy went great.
                  My fasting number in the morning couldn't be controlled so I had to take glyburide(?) for it, but other than that, everything was good.
                  With having to take your blood sugar readings so often, you will soon learn what your limits are.
                  I know I can't control my thyroid issues with food alone. My (main) doctor put me on 50 mgs of levothyroxine, which I am indeed taking. I haven't been able to see an endo yet, though (I'm trying!), but I'm doing my best and I hope to see one by next week.

I agree 210c is way too much. I also agree doing a strict, restrictive calorie diet is not the best idea. I'm thinking to keep eating the way I'm eating-- primal, low carb, nutrient dense foods. I normally eat 1700-2000 calories a day this way (about 30-35% restriction on my TDEE), feeling full and satisfied during the day. This leads me to believe I can keep doing it.

So you ate 50 grams a day and you nor your baby had any problems? I tend to believe there wouldn't be any problems!

I mean, he wants me to lose weight by restricting my calories, which would mean I would have to burn fat for energy anyway... isn't that what losing weight is about? so how can it be that I'm supposed to lose weight, if I can't have ketones in my body? lol.

~Albert Einstein~

Comment

Actually I see nothing wrong with losing weight during pregnancy, IF you are overweight to begin with. I don't agree with strict dieting or a ridiculous exercise routine, but eating right and walking daily are a great way to stay healthy. If you do it right you can lose excess body fat while still gaining what you need for the baby.
                    I started this pregnancy considered over weight / obese (BMI). I'm currently 5 months pregnant and have gained roughly 5lbs - all of which was gained before going primal nearly 1 month ago. Since changing my diet I haven't gained a single lb and have in fact lost 1.5lbs. I'm NOT starving - in fact I am eating so much food and healthy fats that I can't believe how easy it is! I have so much energy and my baby is growing well.
                    With my last pregnancy I gained 66lbs and was so unhealthy. I ended up with a c-section and feel that my poor health was a big reason I took so long to recover.

Comment

Originally posted by Aloe View Post
                      I mean, he wants me to lose weight by restricting my calories, which would mean I would have to burn fat for energy anyway... isn't that what losing weight is about? so how can it be that I'm supposed to lose weight, if I can't have ketones in my body? lol.
                      Exactly. Lots of people confuse ketosis (which is perfectly safe) with ketoacidosis (which is a near terminal condition). Sounds like your doc is one of them. In the former your body uses ketones because you have low insulin levels due to your low carb levels are low. In the latter your body makes ketones because you have low insulin levels because your body now fails to produce insulin. They are completely different conditions at opposite ends of the insulin sensitivity spectrum.
                      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Agree about the hypothyriodism. Don't try look for natural cures until after you have the baby. Just take your thyroxine and get to the endo as soon as they can make you an appointment.

Along with the fruit and honey, butternut squash is somewhat starchy so it could have an impact on blood sugar. By the looks of your numbers you're definitely insulin resistant.

As for weight, I'd say don't obsess about trying to lose weight while you're pregnant. Since you're already obese, it's fine if you don't gain any as long as your doctor agrees. Just try to eat a healthy diet and get some pregnancy friendly activity. Walking is fine, perfect even. I don't think anyone would recommend starting heavy weight lifting and sprint workouts while 6 months pregnant. If you want to do some resistance training (and the doctor gives the okay) you could do some light calesthenics with Barbie weights (the small 2, 3, 5 lb weights...usually come in pink, hence 'Barbie weights'). If you lose some weight from that plus getting the hypothyriod treated great, but don't worry if you don't while still pregnant.

Comment

Oh, yes, I'm definitely insulin resistant (though I didn't think I was borderline-diabetic!). My plan is to start exercising with "barbie weights" after the 12 weeks, but for now (8 weeks as of today), I'll only increase my walking.

I agree with iYummy. Losing weight is not a problem as long as you're not trying to lose weight as if you were not pregnant, and you're nourishing yourself properly.

Right now my focus is to control my blood glucose levels, and see an endo a.s.a.p.!

~Albert Einstein~

Comment

Just to clear up... I didn't mean losing any weight during pregnancy was bad. Just actively trying to lose weight during pregnancy is ridiculous IMO. If healthy eating and exercising results in weight loss, that is totally fine.
                            I was overweight when I got pregnant. I gained 15lbs, but it was all baby, water retention and everything else w/ the pregnancy. After giving birth I weighed about 3lbs less than pre-preg.

Eating the way I did, baby and I were both totally fine. She ended up weighing 7lbs 5oz and was perfectly healthy.
                            During an appointment with my OB, after seeing all of my blood sugar readings, she asked if I was following the plan the diabetes class had given to me. I told her no and that I was just going low carb, she just said to keep doing what I was doing
                            It did take some trial and error, but it happened pretty quick to eliminate the items that spiked my sugar.
                            DD born August 2012
                            TTC #2

Comment

Just to clear up... I didn't mean losing any weight during pregnancy was bad. Just actively trying to lose weight during pregnancy is ridiculous IMO. If healthy eating and exercising results in weight loss, that is totally fine.
                              I understood, and I agree with your sentiment that someone's doctor telling them to lose weight while pregnant is ridiculous even if the person is already overweight. If it happens just from switching to healthy eating fine, but it shouldn't be the main focus, not while pregnant.

Comment

Originally posted by s-piper View Post
                                I understood, and I agree with your sentiment that someone's doctor telling them to lose weight while pregnant is ridiculous even if the person is already overweight. If it happens just from switching to healthy eating fine, but it shouldn't be the main focus, not while pregnant.
                                I'm glad to see you guys agree. It helps me feel more certain of my approach to this whole thing. I'll keep doing what I was doing, then.

It also helps that I got new pants that are two sizes smaller than the ones I was wearing before, and I'm sure I have been eating properly!

~Albert Einstein~

Comment

Working...
                                X