Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need help! This just isn't doing anything and I'm stuck for ideas.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxide View Post
    Very well, if June walked everywhere on speed and Ward was the lazy one with the car and office job, then why wasn't Ward fat? And come on, we've all seen the trend.
    ward probably smoked.

in no way am i suggesting that americans are anything but terribly fat and horribly sick.

was being more than a little flip, but as costahobo points out, it's not just one boogey-monster, but the incremental changes really add up and can do so in the blink of an eye.

when ward and june took the boys to mickey d's, their options were the equivalent of today's small fry, small burger and a much smaller soda than what is today's small. the fries were cooked in animal fat. the beef was not as hard-core cafo as what we have now. the condiments weren't made with hfcs. nor were the drinks and buns. they went as a treat, not for dinner a few times per month, or even per week.

wally and the beav played outside after school, until dinner. they weren't snacking on nutri-grain bars and fruit roll-ups, because it would spoil their appetite. they ate 3 square meals.

the family watched some tv after dinner, but weren't snacking on the couch an hour after finishing the dishes and went to bed at a reasonable time, without electronics humming and buzzing just inches from their beds.

i am a child of the 70s and my upbringing was just like this.

whenever i use my mother's china, i marvel at how much smaller the plates are compared to my everyday dishes. we ate home-cooked meals on her plates most nights, i was never hungry and both she and i were pencil thin.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 03-18-2013, 06:44 PM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by Eve2206 View Post
      too much reliance on bread and wheat products. I didn't realise the stuff was so dodgy. My tummy gets all sorts of pains for no reason, plus the gall bladder history, lethargy, depression, insomnia, joint aches etc. I'm not that old!
      This sounds like auto-immune stuff happening most likely from the wheat. If not full-blown auto-immune or celiac, then it's general inflammation which also can happen because of sensitivity to wheat and also from vegetable oils (high in Omega 6). Especially that joint aches part.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I was born in 78, so I consider myself a child of the 80s. I was incredibly lanky, no fat on me at all. I was your typical nerd, not too much athletic ability, and I was just a bag of bones covered with skin. I suppose my parents were classified as lower middle class. We ate a lot of pasta, rice and beans, macaroni and cheese, chili, beef stew, soup, hamburger helper, etc. I never had my 1st steak or lobster until I was in my 20s.

We had 1 Pizza Hut in the small country town I grew up in, and that was the only national fast food joint in town. We got to eat there once a year for our birthday, so since my parents had 3 kids, we got to eat pizza 3 times a year. There was no mcdonalds. There were some small diners and fried chicken places, but my parents didn't have money for that.

We lived on carbs. Sugary cereal for breakfast, bologna (no cheese!) sandwiches for lunch, and maybe some spaghetti made with 75/25 ground beef. My entire family were literally knees and elbows.

So what happened? I just can't believe that grains/carbs are the enemy, because if I didn't eat them growing up, I would've starved. I would say that even a can of Spaghetti O's would have been luxury for us - spending $1 for meal per person would've been too much money - it was much cheaper to make a huge pot of spaghetti or chili.

I never even had my 1st tv dinner until I went to college at 18. I've gone around in circles and circles trying to figure this out - and my logic keeps taking me back to past experiences and my childhood. We ate what we could, and we were as thin as can be. I think the one thing that has always been constant is the amount of food. We never had bags of chips or cookies in the house; those were luxuries we got to have.

One of my favorite childhood memories is my dad waking me up at 5am every Saturday morning to go to garage sales with him and my grandpa, and we'd stop at the donut shop. I'd get to get 2-3 donuts and a cold chocolate milk. My grandpa would always get a bag of 6 donut holes and a coffee. That was usually my one treat of the week, and I greatly cherished it.

I guess the point to my long post is that I really think it all boils down to the amount of food that we ate. I never went hungry as a child, and I was very skinny. Even as an adult, when I abstain from processed foods and eat whole (mostly unprocessed) foods, I also never go hungry and get to eat as much as I want - and I lose weight like crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          This sounds like auto-immune stuff happening most likely from the wheat. If not full-blown auto-immune or celiac, then it's general inflammation which also can happen because of sensitivity to wheat and also from vegetable oils (high in Omega 6). Especially that joint aches part.
          I agree, after what I've read this weekend. But the only way I can find out is to cut out the grains, sugar, processed food and see whether I get any changes. I suspect things will improve. We'll see. I'd be surprised if they didn't

Interesting to read the threads on how people lived and ate when growing up. I was the same - three meals a day, no snacks, always out playing. It's a shame that recently healthier (??) countries are now heading the same way as USA/UK/Europe.

There is a post on the forums about NYC mayor's plans to legislate against large size drinks and so on which I thought was interesting - but our governments still push the same food pyramid. I doubt anyone could make people go back to some of the old ways now. I guess it's up to individual parents. But I sometimes think we are reaching a 'peak' with poor lifestyles and that, over the next 5 years or so, there will be a big push for change. But hey, that's a whole new post/topic I guess.

Comment

Working...
          X