full-fat vs fat-free greek yogurt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• full-fat vs fat-free greek yogurt?

I found greek yogurt at the supermarket! (Not easy, all yogurts I've seen here are low-fat regular sweetened yogurt)

Just wondering what the difference is between full-fat or fat-free except for the fat content? I mainly want to add it to my diet for probiotics and some variety.

The fat content is the best part. Yum.

Comment

Also, when they take out the fat, they replace it with extra milk solids to improve the texture which means the yogurt ends up being higher in lactose (a sugar) than real milk.

Comment

The fat is the same as found in butter. And the Pure full fat yogurt has had the lactose fermented out by the microorganisms. Whereabouts are you? In Australia every supermarket has at least 4 different brands of Greek Style yogurt.

It also makes a great drink "Ayran" which Turks drink by the gallon, just whisk a couple of heaped tablespoons of full fat Greek Style Yogurt into a cup of water in a bowl and drink as a smoothie. Turks are mostly lactose intolerant so this is their drinking "milk". Sheeps yogurt is the best if you can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          Also, when they take out the fat, they replace it with extra milk solids to improve the texture which means the yogurt ends up being higher in lactose (a sugar) than real milk.
          Fage and Chobani do not do this. Same amount of lactose in Fage full vs non fat and same amount of lactose in Chobani non vs low fat. I like to get the non fat of either and add coconut oil. That way I get the amount and type of fat I want. I already get plenty of dairy fat with cheese and butter. No need for more in my yogurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
            Fage and Chobani do not do this. Same amount of lactose in Fage full vs non fat and same amount of lactose in Chobani non vs low fat. I like to get the non fat of either and add coconut oil. That way I get the amount and type of fat I want. I already get plenty of dairy fat with cheese and butter. No need for more in my yogurt.
            I totally agree. I eat Fage and really can't tell the difference between 0% and 2% besides a little creaminess. Nutritionally they're almost identical besides the fat content.
            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

The yogurt brand I found is Fage. Only full-fat and 0% fat. There are no other brands of Greek yogurt here, only 'greek-style' yogurt.

How do you know whether the lactose content is the same or not?

Comment

I'v always had the full fat version every day. I don't see the point in low fat versions of anything
                Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
                Height 5'9"
                Start weight 200lb
                Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
                Goal was 168lb's

Comment

Look at the nutritional facts table for both and compare.

The low-fat one probably has much more sugar; if it doesn't, look at the ingredients list, as it probably has aspertame, sucralose, or another artificial sweetener in it.

The full-fat one will have less sugar. I recommend unsweetneed, plain, full-fat yogurt. At first I used to think it was gross, but I now love it. I don't buy it very often, but when I do I add some vanilla extract and enjoy. If I want a sweeter treat, I add raw honey or maple syrup; however, the last time I did this I found it way way too sweet. (I guess my tastes have changed!) Instead, I add a few spoonfuls of canned pumpkin which gives it just enough sweetness and added nutrients.

Bottom line: skip the low-fat/light/etc. garbage. It tastes like crap anyway.
                  >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
                  >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
                  >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

As far as I'm aware, the fat free version will have more carb and less protein...not to mention less taste

Comment

Fat-free Greek yogurt is an oxymoron. There's no such thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Graycat View Post
                        Fat-free Greek yogurt is an oxymoron. There's no such thing.
                        This.

FF Greek yogurt is a sad Americanized bastardization.

The end.
                        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by spuggygirl View Post
                          As far as I'm aware, the fat free version will have more carb and less protein...not to mention less taste
                          Wrong. Fage nonfat has same sugar/carb and more protein, same with Chobani. Can't tell the difference in taste.
                          Last edited by Artbuc; 03-13-2013, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Fage is one of the few brands that doesn't add carbs to the 0 fat product (or maybe it's one gram of carb more per serving). Since the main reason to avoid fat free is the weird crap they usually put in to compensate for the missing fat, Fage is one of the few brands where the zero fat is okay imo. But if you have access to both, might as well eat the full fat one.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Seekins View Post
                              I'v always had the full fat version every day. I don't see the point in low fat versions of anything
                              That is why I add coconut oil. Gives me much more flexibility in how much and what type of fat I eat. Since I am on a VLC diet, probably average less than 30g/day with some days closer to zero, I need a lot of fat and I want most of it to come from evoo and coconut oil. I get more than enough dairy fat from cheese and butter.

Comment

Working...
                              X