Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stronger Nails

Hey Ladies,

I noticed that since I went Primal my fingernails seem to break much more. Prior to that my nails hardly break and they always stay long. I wear gloves when I do dishes or try not to soak my hands too much in water so they don't get soft and brittle.

I don't low carb at all. My fat intake is about 70g daily and my protein intake is about 100g and up. I believe I get enough nutrients as I eat a very diverse diet.

What am I missing here? Any primal foods that you can recommend?

Bone broth.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Silica and gelatin
      "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
        Bone broth.
        And mmmmmmmmmarrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Cryptocode View Post
          Silica and gelatin
          Gelatin I would agree with. It's basically what both Knife and I were saying about eating bones in one way or another. I make iced tea jello as well as savory jello and use gelatin as a thickener in soups/stews.

Silica is sand. Please don't get sucked in to the marketing hype about this stuff. Eating sand makes no sense. None.

Comment

My nails have seemed stronger since going Primal.
            Are you sure its diet related? I've noticed that in dry months, if I don't moisturize my hands enough my nails also get dry and tend to crack.

Comment

Yeah I have been eating beef bone broth too. It is cold where I am right now so maybe I just need to moisturize my hands more often. The nails are strong but they just freaking chip like crazy.

Comment

You could also try supplementing with Biotin. It's supposed to be suuuuuuper good for hair and nails. Didn't do jack for me, but other people seem to have good experiences with taking it.

Comment

Mark had a post a while back about eating dirt/clays/earth for reference. I do this frequently. Diatomaceous earth (high silica) and clays make my nails grow a lot faster. I would estimate 2x as fast when I consistently cycle on these clays for a couple few weeks. I ingest them for other reasons but its a very noticeable result.

Comment

I have the same issue. I had stronger nails pre-primal. Now mine peel and I cannot come close to getting any sort of length on them. Before primal I ate a strict "healthy" diet with no fat and lots of good whole grains. I did not consume bone marrow or bone broth before going primal. It makes me wonder if there is any type of vitamin or mineral that is only found in whole wheat products and not in other vegetable sources. I am glad to see I am not the only person who has not experienced nail growth with primal/paleo.

Comment

To those who have weakened nails, have you ever experienced or are experiencing the following in combination with weakened nails:

-pale nails
                      -blurry vision
                      -see floaters, or other visual obstructions (spots, flashes, squiggly/wavy lines)
                      -dizziness
                      -low b.p.
                      -low body temperature
                      -scanty menstruation or no period at all
                      -pale face, pale lips, pale tongue
                      -emotional (irritable, angry, frustrated)

Comment

Weirdly this just happened to me too! Two days ago every single one of my nails broke. That's never happened to me before.

The only thing I changed in my diet lately is that I've cut back on dairy (I was eating too much - now I just consume a little). About a week ago, I started taking supplements and eating bone broth daily. Weird. Could it be a shedding or something...?
                        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by StephenHLi View Post
                          To those who have weakened nails, have you ever experienced or are experiencing the following in combination with weakened nails:

-pale nails
                          -blurry vision
                          -see floaters, or other visual obstructions (spots, flashes, squiggly/wavy lines)
                          -dizziness
                          -low b.p.
                          -low body temperature
                          -pale face, pale lips, pale tongue
                          -emotional (irritable, angry, frustrated)
                          Nope.
                          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by StephenHLi View Post

-pale nails Yes
                            -blurry vision On occasion
                            -dizziness
                            -low b.p. Tested 27Feb pre-ultrasound, 105/65
                            -low body temperature Yes
                            -pale face, pale lips, pale tongue Face for sure, like walking dead. Dark shadows beneath my eyes, too
                            -emotional (irritable, angry, frustrated) This week, off the charts. Not cycle related, just finished my TOM
                            I'm about a week into eating much more to try and sort out my metabolism, a la Matt Stone's Diet Recovery or Eat More 2 Weigh Less. It's my feeling that eating too low carb for too long has attributed to these problems...but I'm curious where you are going with this.

As for the Biotin supplementation, I've been taking 5000mcg/day for 6 or 8 months and while it seemed to help my nails a lot at first, they're back to splitting and peeling and generally lacking strength. It has helped my hair growth, most noticeably body hair - likely because that's the kind I'm not looking to grow longer, faster
                            Last edited by lemontwisst; 03-13-2013, 08:04 AM.

Comment

forced indoor heat and cold outside temps can definitely damage nails, but dietary changes may take a month or more to show either deleterious effects or beneficial impact. be patient. and yeah, bone broth.
                              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
                              X