Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad sent me this article...

Most People Shouldn't Eat Gluten-Free: Scientific American

Seriously? So the vitamins and minerals that are added into the whole wheat after processing are better then those I'm getting from meat, veggies, and fruit? Ugh, good thing I don't live with him anymore! Oddly enough, he's cutting back on carbs himself and has done Atkins in the past.

This article made me laugh, saw it earlier today.

Obviously, gluten free bread, cakes, baked goods and biscuits etc are nutritionally poor products. BUT SO ARE THE GLUTEN CONTAINING ONES!!!

It was literally the most patronising article I have read in a long time. The article makes a completely baseless assumption that people who go gluten free will just replace their usual junk food with gluten free junk food, because we're all so uneducated about nutrition apparently....we're all too thick to figure out that fruit and veg and real food have more nutrients in them than junk, therefore we all need to eat bread.

Utterly bonkers, and should not in any shape or form be classified as science.

Comment

Originally posted by PaleoPanda View Post
      It was literally the most patronising article I have read in a long time. The article makes a completely baseless assumption that people who go gluten free will just replace their usual junk food with gluten free junk food, because we're all so uneducated about nutrition apparently....we're all too thick to figure out that fruit and veg and real food have more nutrients in them than junk, therefore we all need to eat bread.
      Around here, we know better, but sadly it's not the case overall. A good half, at least, of the people I know who are gluten-free DO in fact simply replace it with gluten-free pasta/cookies/cake/whatever. I try to point out that just because it's gluten-free doesn't mean it's healthy, and am often met with annoyed looks.

Doesn't make the article any less stupid though.

Comment

Fiber and vitamins and minerals

Lions and tigers and bears

Oh my!

Comment

Interesting...Katherine Tallmadge must work for Nabisco/Kraft. Since I am obviously uneducated about nutrition, i better pass on purchasing her book, because I wouldn't understand it. AvatarAbe does makes a good point regarding folks that think buying gluten free items is going to be healthier.

2 months ago I went all in on Paleo lifestyle. I've gone from 202 to 175. I've lowered my blood pressure from 145/90 to 106/68. I cut out all crap carbs (microbrews too unfortunately, sigh) and just watch carb intake. It's real simple, bad carbs are the demon whether they are gluten free or not. I'm pretty happy with this lifestyle, oops! Gotta run and flip my grass fed ribeye! Peace...5x

Comment

Coulda been written by the onion.
            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

That was an interesting read. Actually I have a general "inflammation" type syndrome which is annoying but not debilitating. Psoriasis, a low grade grumbling Psoriatic Arthritis of various tendons that also flares up as Bursitis of the knees, gout, and even a single attack of Iritis (inflammation of structures within the eye). All linked.

I went Primal for different reasons but having read this thread I'll be interested to see if my syndrome improves as well. Like I said it's just a background thing that grumbles on and I'd not actually thought about it when I switched lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                Coulda been written by the onion.
                I actually checked the top of the page once to make sure it wasn't The Onion 0_0

Comment

This sort of thing is exactly why I never talk about gluten when talking about my diet. I only say that grains are very expensive calorie-wise for the nutrients they offer. Nobody can argue that.
                  50yo, 5'3"
                  SW-195
                  CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                  GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Originally posted by ajcxnejx
                    It was literally the most patronising article I have read in a long time.
                    +1

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarAbe View Post
                      Around here, we know better, but sadly it's not the case overall. A good half, at least, of the people I know who are gluten-free DO in fact simply replace it with gluten-free pasta/cookies/cake/whatever. I try to point out that just because it's gluten-free doesn't mean it's healthy, and am often met with annoyed looks.

Doesn't make the article any less stupid though.
                      Dietitians here in the UK who help people with coeliac disease actually promote the gluten free replacements, and we can even get them on prescription! I was looked at funny when I told my dietitian I didn't want them. They taste like kak too, for the most part - you can just taste sugar and nasty oil that leaves a funny taste in a lot of the baked goods.

So if we are nutritionally uneducated, then certainly here in the UK I blame dietitians like Tallmadge (we have her ilk over here too) who promote the high carb high grain stuff over educating people properly about food....oh wait, they wouldn't get their kickbacks from the "healthy junk food" promoters, whether gluten free or not, then would they? Buying fresh fruit and veg and meat and fish and unprocessed foods doesn't earn big food companies money. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveX View Post
                        Interesting...Katherine Tallmadge must work for Nabisco/Kraft. Since I am obviously uneducated about nutrition, i better pass on purchasing her book, because I wouldn't understand it. AvatarAbe does makes a good point regarding folks that think buying gluten free items is going to be healthier.

2 months ago I went all in on Paleo lifestyle. I've gone from 202 to 175. I've lowered my blood pressure from 145/90 to 106/68. I cut out all crap carbs (microbrews too unfortunately, sigh) and just watch carb intake. It's real simple, bad carbs are the demon whether they are gluten free or not. I'm pretty happy with this lifestyle, oops! Gotta run and flip my grass fed ribeye! Peace...5x
                        WOW! That's impressive. Congratulations!
                        "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Seems like most people who must go gluten-free complain loudly about how expensive the substitute products are. Hardly anyone considers eliminating foods you can't eat and eating more of what's left: vegetables, meat, fruit, nuts, and rice. When I went gluten-free, my food costs went down because I was no longer buying artisan bread. Instead I was eating rice purchased in giant sacks at an Asian store.

Comment

Working...
                          X