Eating coconut oil straight...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating coconut oil straight...

What would the health benefits be if I ate it straight? Let's say... 1-2 spoon fulls of the stuff a day?

Anyone do that here?

I'm contemplating getting a gallon of coconut oil for about $56... that's including shipping...

I already use it to remove makeup, and about to start using it for my gums... I've dabbled in eating it before, but that was when I was vegan and frying stuff like mushroom-rice burgers in it...
    ‎"I've heard tell that what you imagine sometimes comes true " - Roald Dahl

“Keep making things and treating people well.”- Jason Gregory

"Don’t try to be different. Just be good. To be good is different enough."- Arthur Freed

5'6"
    24 year old female
    Current: Always between 115 and 119.
    Goal: Get ripped.
    My Journal

I dont think the health benefits alter in any fashion if you eat it straight vs. mixed/heated with something. Maybe there is some synergy with coconut oil and other foods.

I eat it straight on occasion and it suppresses hunger quite well. I have never used it for the quick energy benefits (putting to a workout test), but some say 1-2 tbsp helps.

Comment

For me it is a very good appetite suppressant. Say if you have a couple of hours to go until dinner and might be tempted to raid the fridge, a spoonful will shut off the hunger alarm.

Also, according to Enig and Fallon in "Eat Fat, Grow Thin", it actually increases your metabolic rate. Because it is MCTs, it breaks down and is burned off rather than storing as fat. That is the theory anyway. I don't know if it's true or not.

I particularly like it for cooking seafood.

Comment

You've convinced me, Paleobird. You look so glowy, I'm buying the coconut oil now.

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        For me it is a very good appetite suppressant. Say if you have a couple of hours to go until dinner and might be tempted to raid the fridge, a spoonful will shut off the hunger alarm.

Also, according to Enig and Fallon in "Eat Fat, Grow Thin", it actually increases your metabolic rate. Because it is MCTs, it breaks down and is burned off rather than storing as fat. That is the theory anyway. I don't know if it's true or not.

I particularly like it for cooking seafood.

"Don’t try to be different. Just be good. To be good is different enough."- Arthur Freed

5'6"
        24 year old female
        My Journal

Comment

coconut oil is a very stable fat so you can eat it in any form. I'm sure you've checked but makesure that gallon is a good quality gallon because there is a huge range out there.

I started using it as my daily facial moisturiser, and lip-balm... smells so good! I just want to eat my own face haha. does it take off make up well? do you use it for eye-makeup?

Comment

Yesterday I quickly swallowed down 2 Tbs of coconut oil (it had gone to liquid), and after about an hour I spent the rest of the day running to the toilet. Thankfully I didn't have to go out anywhere, haha!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie3614 View Post
              coconut oil is a very stable fat so you can eat it in any form. I'm sure you've checked but makesure that gallon is a good quality gallon because there is a huge range out there.

I started using it as my daily facial moisturiser, and lip-balm... smells so good! I just want to eat my own face haha. does it take off make up well? do you use it for eye-makeup?
              Yep, I have a reliable brand. I've bought from that brand before. And yes, it takes off waterproof eye makeup pretty well!

5'6"
              24 year old female
              My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by amber_maiden View Post
                You've convinced me, Paleobird. You look so glowy, I'm buying the coconut oil now.
                Thank you.

Originally posted by iYummy View Post
                Yesterday I quickly swallowed down 2 Tbs of coconut oil (it had gone to liquid), and after about an hour I spent the rest of the day running to the toilet. Thankfully I didn't have to go out anywhere, haha!
                Yep. That can happen. I would recommend no more than 1tbsp/day to start out. Then ease upward gradually.

Comment

I am definitely Coo Coo for coconut oil! I cook with it all the time (whole foods-Dr. Bronner's fair trade/organic fresh pressed virgin/whole kernel unrefined) and when I am putting it in a pan I always find myself licking off the fork! It does smell great, wow! I never thought of trying it by itself...I think I'll try a teaspoon now thanks!

Comment

I have no idea how anyone can eat the stuff straight. Believe me, I've done it. But the texture makes me gag.

So I fry a lot with it.
                    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

It makes me gag, too. I'm sure if I could choke it down I'd be running to the bathroom pronto.

Comment

I love to cook with it. Pork and eggs, especially, I find are complemented by the hint of coconut flavor. I always lick the spoon cause I love the taste of coconut. But treating it like a food doesn't feel right to me. I will eat coconut flesh before I'll eat the extracted oil.
                        50yo, 5'3"
                        SW-195
                        CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                        GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Same as Paleobird for me. It is a great energizer for me, keeps me going while I am preparing dinner sometimes. I actually like it, let it melt in my mouth.
                          Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                          Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
                          Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

I do it when I think I'm losing too much weight and need more fat in my day, I prefer coconut oil to butter because of how it's metabolized, I just pop a few tablespoon in the freezer and eat. It helps that I love coconut.
                            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I eat it straight up every couple of days cos' I find it's like taking a supplement for my skin Makes it so much softer and less prone to dehydration.
                              "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Working...
                              X