No announcement yet.

Eating coconut oil straight...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just started using coconut oil and I really like it. I used 1/2 tblsp in my coffee and really thought it was nice addition to my coffee 'repertoire'. I've also cooked with it and was pleasantly surprised that it didn't make everything taste like coconut.

Logically I should think eating it off a spoon is fine because I eat cheese which gets most of its calories from fat, but eating pure fat off a spoon is odd to me. Not wrong, just odd. I do lick the spoon when I cook with it.

That said, if I ever need to gain weight, I can see how adding a couple of spoonfuls would help.

It's very rich. Over the last week, I've increased my use. Yesterday, between coffee and cooking, I ate about three and a half tablespoons - no runs. But I think if I would have eaten that much the first day, I would have had to invest in some toilet paper company.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
      I eat it straight up every couple of days cos' I find it's like taking a supplement for my skin Makes it so much softer and less prone to dehydration.
      Yep. It's like a moisturizer from the inside out

Comment

Originally posted by returnfreerisk View Post
        I eat it straight on occasion and it suppresses hunger quite well. I have never used it for the quick energy benefits (putting to a workout test), but some say 1-2 tbsp helps.
        I usually have a spoonful in the morning and lunch if I'm fasting for the day. Also tend to have a spoonful shortly before going for a good run -- it seems to help.

Comment

For me, the best way to eat coconut oil is in solid form. I refrigerate one bottle and the other, the one I use to cook with, I leave out at room temp and usually it is liquid or semi liquid state.

Comment

Sometimes when I am a little hungry but don't need a meal, I will take a spoonful or put some in a cup of coffee. fills me up for a few more hours.
            An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good!'
            -Somebody funny

Comment

I blend a big dollup of it into my coffee in the morning for breakfast. it seems to really rev me up

Comment

Occasionally instead of brushing my teeth I will rinse out my mouth for a few minutes with a couple tablespoons of this magical oil. It really soothes my mouth and makes it feel clean.

Comment

I like to take a big spoonful of it in my mouth and hold it in my mouth like dip and let it melt and swallow it a little bit at a time while I walk from my apartment to the bus stop on my way to school for the day. Why not? haha

Comment

I'm kind of the opposite of many in that I don't really like cooking with it (even the ones that don't have a strong taste), but I will eat a spoonful or two of it.

I ended up getting a big jug of Carrington Farms unrefined, cold pressed coconut oil, and it tastes like a Mounds bar to me.

VERY good for brain health.
                    Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                      VERY good for brain health.
                      Yes. Highly ketogenic.

Comment

I tried that once, never again..lol swallowing any kind of oil makes me gag
                        Last edited by Jorjor; 03-14-2013, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorjor View Post
                          I tried that once, never again..lol swallowing any kind of oil makes me gag
                          I'll second that!

Comment

I get mine from Costco at $16.99 for 54 oz. It is organic unrefined in the Phillipines which I understand their process is the best. I love to lick it off the spoon. I often put some in my coffee in the morning. Eat good fat, lose weight.

Comment

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have a friend who feeds it to her mother who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and she said her cognitive abilities have improved.

Comment

If I know I won't be able to eat anything for say, 5 hours straight because of workload I'll nibble on some butter and coconut oil and I get this very clear-headed buzz from it along with rock steady energy but with no hunger.

Comment

Working...
                                X