No announcement yet.

Calculating CICO: Home-made Food, Irregular Exercise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Nivanthe! I am a woman, and I am very overweight, I think that is why it always calculates so high? I will try out Dailyburn and see what it tells me.

Dailyburn says:

We estimate that you'll burn about 2,620 Cals a day from normal daily activity and exercise.
    To lose weight, we recommend that you eat 2,096 Cals a day.
    Your estimated weight change is -1.05 lbs per week.
    You should meet your goal in about 123 weeks!

That's a damn long time! I lost 50 lbs in 6 months last year, a similar rate would be preferable. :P
    Last edited by qqemokitty; 03-13-2013, 09:25 AM.
    yay!

Comment

Originally posted by qqemokitty View Post
      Thank you Nivanthe! I am a woman, and I am very overweight, I think that is why it always calculates so high? I will try out Dailyburn and see what it tells me.
      That's a damn long time! I lost 50 lbs in 6 months last year, a similar rate would be preferable. :P
      That sounds about right, it takes more energy based on how much mass you have, so it would be high.

The rate is based on the -600cals it's giving you if you follow eating 2000. But of course, being an estimate, it could go faster for you especially as you have a lot to lose, but as you get closer it slows down.

Slower can be better for preventing an excess of loose skin though.

Comment

Well my menu this week is a whole 600~ calories below what seems to be recommended for me by most sites. That is where I start to struggle, because I don't really want to eat more. What the heck else am I supposed to be eating? :x

This is why I always get so frustrated. Maybe I am eating too little? But I don't really want to eat more!
        yay!

Comment

You can't really track calories that precisely. Problems: are you really going to weigh the food that precisely? Do you know how much fat is in your particular pork chop, as opposed to the averages? How efficient is your digestion of protein? Some think that protein has as much as a 25% "cost" associated with digestion, conversion to glucose, and then metabolism, for the portion of the protein that is burned rather than put into muscle and tissue.

Then there's the other side, the calorie consumption side. People vary all over the place on the "basal metabolism" part of the equation: we burn a lot of energy just to keep warm. The number of calories burned exercising is likewise a SWAG (scientific wild-ass guess) since it depends on how efficient your are, which bike you are riding, all kinds of things.

Not to say that the exercise of tracking calories is a total waste of time; I've done it too. Just don't think it is going to be better than plus or minus 10-20%.

Software: there is a pretty good free on-line site that lets you calculate a lot of what you want. cronometer.com. Free with a premium upgrade; allows a lot of plots, trends, etc. You can put the precise weight or volume of food in and it will calculate a zillion things for you: amounts of trace minerals, vitamins, amino acids, more than even a science geek like me needs.
          10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
          Now: low 150's, 33" waist
          Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

Comment

Originally posted by qqemokitty View Post
            Well my menu this week is a whole 600~ calories below what seems to be recommended for me by most sites. That is where I start to struggle, because I don't really want to eat more.
            Are you IFing? If you add breakfast back in, or lengthen your window, you'll probably be hungrier and fit more in.

I'm not trying to make you overeat, because it's great that you're not hungry, but i'm afraid of you undereating. Maybe an easy modification for now would be to switch the ground turkey for ground beef?

Comment

Originally posted by Nivanthe View Post
              Are you IFing? If you add breakfast back in, or lengthen your window, you'll probably be hungrier and fit more in.

I'm not trying to make you overeat, because it's great that you're not hungry, but i'm afraid of you undereating. Maybe an easy modification for now would be to switch the ground turkey for ground beef?
              I do IF on weekends, I typically eat only 1, maybe 2 meals on Sat/Sun. I eat B, L, D during the week, no snacking.

I use turkey in chili and sauces because I like the texture of it better in those forms. Not sure why. I hate ground turkey in any other circumstance but in chili and sauce it is magical!

I worry that I am undereating too, but eating more, that is also compliant, is tough for me.
              yay!

Comment

Originally posted by Nivanthe View Post
                That sounds about right, it takes more energy based on how much mass you have, so it would be high.

The rate is based on the -600cals it's giving you if you follow eating 2000. But of course, being an estimate, it could go faster for you especially as you have a lot to lose, but as you get closer it slows down.

Slower can be better for preventing an excess of loose skin though.
                About 1 lb a week is perfect. Much more than that is not sustainable. While you will loose weight on PB if you're overweigt, PB is a way of eating for life, not for fast weight loss in a short time.
                "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Working...
                X