confused bout carbs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused bout carbs

Am reading the book and am now confused after reading a few threads about bodybuilding on here, I thought the whole idea of PB is not to eat foods like rice etc and stick with meat, veg, fruit and fat. Can a skinny guy NOT bulk up with the PB diet??? How did the cavemen do it? They didn't have rice and wheat. I've tried the conventional bodybuilding diets eating heaps of wholegrains, some meat, heaps of veg, fruit and some fat, don't get bigger, just end up with uncomfortable digestion, bloating and abdominal fat...

Cavemen, and Women had muscles with a functional purpose.
    Bodybuilding is about vanity, not functionality.

You need to move, lift, run, sprint, walk, squat, etc.
    The more energy you burn, the more carbs you can consume without ill effect
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

I'm of the opinion you should bulk up using meat and sweet potatoes, and butter!

Tried the modern carb-up advice and experienced what you experienced; no point, just waist fat. Bulking with foods rich in stuff we need like protein, fat, and vitamins seems like the best way to build muscle while not adding waist fat.

I don't understand why people would want to pile on a bunch of carbo-waist fat.

Comment

Are you confusing grains with carbs? While idea if PB is to avoid grains, not carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
          I'm of the opinion you should bulk up using meat and sweet potatoes, and butter!

Tried the modern carb-up advice and experienced what you experienced; no point, just waist fat. Bulking with foods rich in stuff we need like protein, fat, and vitamins seems like the best way to build muscle while not adding waist fat.

I don't understand why people would want to pile on a bunch of carbo-waist fat.
          This shit is becoming worse than anything conventional wisdom says about saturated fat, sodium, etc;

Here, let me n=1 !! !!111 for you:

I eat 400g+ carbs every single day. I'm 6'3 and 150lbs with no waist fat whatsoever. I'm not really that physically active. Carbs do not make you fat, period. Also, you don't need fat, or protein any more than you need carbs.
          Make America Great Again

Comment

i honestly don't know where all of this carb-phobia and carb-idiocy is coming from. paleo/primal etc is in no way shape or form a low carb diet. carbs do not make you fat.

Comment

The OP and kimchininja don't know how to bulk properly and have a poor understanding of nutrition.
              Last edited by Darz; 03-12-2013, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                This shit is becoming worse than anything conventional wisdom says about saturated fat, sodium, etc;

Here, let me n=1 !! !!111 for you:

I eat 400g+ carbs every single day. I'm 6'3 and 150lbs with no waist fat whatsoever. I'm not really that physically active. Carbs do not make you fat, period. Also, you don't need fat, or protein any more than you need carbs.
                What kind of carbs do you eat that amount to 400g?
                Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
                Height 5'9"
                Start weight 200lb
                Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
                Goal was 168lb's

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                  i honestly don't know where all of this carb-phobia and carb-idiocy is coming from. paleo/primal etc is in no way shape or form a low carb diet. carbs do not make you fat.
                  To be fair, I'm pretty sure the Primal Blueprint book (I haven't read the book since 2009 when it came out) mentions what some people refer to as the carbohydrate-insulin hypothesis that was popularized by Gary Taubes: Carbs drive insulin which drives fat. Hell, I bought into it myself for a while. If you go back and read some of Mark's older posts, they come down pretty hard on carbs in general. Of course, thinking has changed in paleo-land and most have come to realize that carbs, even starchy carbs, are not the devil and that they do not magically make you fat, not any more than drinking heavy cream does.

Comment

Word x3 to not on the rug, yodiewan and Darz

@Richard Seekins: fruit(particular fondness for dates) and fruit juices, milk, white sugar, mexican coke, some ice cream before sleep, etc;
                    Make America Great Again

Comment

I would hazzard a guess that if our ancestors had the food availability we do, nearly all of them would've been ripped. Today we can micro manage our food intake to great degrees to get the most out of building muscle, hunter gatherers would've spent alot of time going hungry, which as we know doesn't lend very well to muscle atrophy.
                      despite the food scarcity, I reckon most still would've had strong athletic bodies. So from that thought i have no doubt that today's primal diet can build muscle (it's working for me ).

Originally posted by Darz View Post
                      The OP and kimchininja don't know how to bulk properly and have a poor understanding of nutrition.
                      Wow great contribution to the thread, Mind engaging in adult discussion "WHAT" your thinking on the subject is.
                      A little primal gem - My Success Story
                      Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Comment

Originally posted by danhaych View Post
                        Am reading the book and am now confused after reading a few threads about bodybuilding on here, I thought the whole idea of PB is not to eat foods like rice etc and stick with meat, veg, fruit and fat. Can a skinny guy NOT bulk up with the PB diet??? How did the cavemen do it? They didn't have rice and wheat. I've tried the conventional bodybuilding diets eating heaps of wholegrains, some meat, heaps of veg, fruit and some fat, don't get bigger, just end up with uncomfortable digestion, bloating and abdominal fat...
                        I tend to go through 6 month bulking/toning phases and I've found that eating primal works fine for both but needs to be adapted for each. Primal is generally fine for toning and maintaining muscle mass with moderate amount of training (careful not to overtrain). But for bulking you need to really increase your food intake and carbs, still going for primal type food though such as potato and beans those sorts of things, just lots more. I have to eat every 3 hours throughout the day to put on muscle mass while training heavy weights 3 times a weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
                          Wow great contribution to the thread, Mind engaging in adult discussion "WHAT" your thinking on the subject is.
                          I like stating the obvious; now having said that, as others have said carbs aren't fattening, a calorie surplus is, so the terms they used are wrong; second, they say they've tried to gain muscle by eating a high carb diet but all they got was fat, well, then they obviously don't know how to bulk properly; a small calorie surplus, adequate protein intake, to lift heavy on a proper program with progressive overload; a diet that meets their macros and micros and plenty of rest is what you need to build muscle. So one doesn't have to be a carbophobic, which apparently everyone ends up becoming when learning about the PB.
                          Last edited by Darz; 03-12-2013, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                            Word x3 to not on the rug, yodiewan and Darz

@Richard Seekins: fruit(particular fondness for dates) and fruit juices, milk, white sugar, mexican coke, some ice cream before sleep, etc;
                            That's not exactly palio is it? Each to their own, but I'm wondering why you feel the need to frequent this site?
                            Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
                            Height 5'9"
                            Start weight 200lb
                            Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
                            Goal was 168lb's

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Seekins View Post
                              That's not exactly palio is it? Each to their own, but I'm wondering why you feel the need to frequent this site?
                              not to put words in derpamix's mouth, but fruit is paleo. fruit juices are squeezed fruit. milk is ok if you can tolerate it. white sugar and mexican coke (with real sugar) aren't nearly as horrible as everyone wants to think they are. and ice cream can be as paleo or unpaleo as you want it to be. or of you are a sisson lover, you could just chalk it up to the 20% and move on.

Comment

Working...
                              X