Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

confused bout carbs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    danhaych,
    I've seen posts in the success stories section of men who bluked up with Primal so it is possible. I can't speak to how, though, because I'm trying to lose weight. Sorry.
    It sounds like grains may disagree with you, so you may find you feel better not eating them. Outside of that do some experimenting. Get your carbs from fruit and root vegetables like yams, turnips, potatoes, etc. and see how that works for you.
    Obviously, working out is essential if you're trying to gain weight and want it to be muscle not fat, but I'm sure you know that already.

    I know that isn't much by way of advice, but maybe someone who has done what you wish to will come along and have something more for you. Good luck!
    Last edited by s-piper; 03-12-2013, 08:20 AM.

    Comment


    • #17
      For each action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The carbophiles are here to man the barricades against imagined carbophobes. A few busy carbophiles can crank out hundreds of posts a day, making it seem like they are much more common than they are.

      Most people here take a sensible moderate approach to carbs involving seeing what works for them. I recommend that to people who are not primal and not ready to consider radical dietary changes, telling them that a 1:1:1 approach is moderate, and don't they want moderate? It does tend to make sense in a way that most people understand on a basic level.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
        not to put words in derpamix's mouth, but fruit is paleo. fruit juices are squeezed fruit. milk is ok if you can tolerate it. white sugar and mexican coke (with real sugar) aren't nearly as horrible as everyone wants to think they are. and ice cream can be as paleo or unpaleo as you want it to be. or of you are a sisson lover, you could just chalk it up to the 20% and move on.
        Ok I guess its cool to just do what works for you. It does seem a bit troll like to be honest.

        I'm just getting a very negative vibe here recently.
        Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

        Started Primal 15th October 2012
        Height 5'9"
        Start weight 200lb
        Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
        Goal was 168lb's

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Richard Seekins View Post
          Ok I guess its cool to just do what works for you. It does seem a bit troll like to be honest.

          I'm just getting a very negative vibe here recently.
          yeah, i mean, its more carbs than i eat, but if it works for derpamix, then it works. i tend to alternate days of around 100 grams with days of about 200-250. the high carb days being the days that i do my heavier lifting.

          out of curiosity, why does 400grams a day of carbs seem like a troll to you?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
            This shit is becoming worse than anything conventional wisdom says about saturated fat, sodium, etc;

            Here, let me n=1 !! !!111 for you:

            I eat 400g+ carbs every single day. I'm 6'3 and 150lbs with no waist fat whatsoever. I'm not really that physically active. Carbs do not make you fat, period. Also, you don't need fat, or protein any more than you need carbs.
            This is nonsensical. Could you eat 400g of any macronutrient and not gain weight? The answer is probably yes. That doesn't say that carbs don't make people fat, it says that no macronutrient category makes YOU fat.

            Applying your specific situation to 5 billion people is one of the most nonsensical fallacies of all time.
            Rebooted Body -- Ancestral Health + Modern Psychology | The Rebooted Body Podcast

            Comment


            • #21
              Basically you have to find a formula that works for you Danhaych. Eat good carbs (20 percent) no processed foods or grains, good fat (50%, coconut oil to cook with, grass fed butter, olive oil etc.), and protein (30%, fish, beef, chicken, pork, grass fed and wild caught if possible). This is more or less my formula, I don't count calories only watch carbs. I am 5'10" and weigh 175lb which is where I want to be. Some folks have different metabolisms and can eat more carbs without increasing weight. I don't, nor do I want to look like a gaunt guitarist for the sex pistols, so I watch what I eat.

              It's your choice and you will find what works for you with a little tweaking, just be healthy and happy! Peace...5x

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Allenete View Post
                Are you confusing grains with carbs? While idea if PB is to avoid grains, not carbs.
                Sorry yes I meant grains, diet high in wholegrains, some days over 450g CHO... It was getting depressing being in the kitchen every 2 hours cooking a healthy meal of over 600 calories...
                Originally posted by Padz View Post
                But for bulking you need to really increase your food intake and carbs, still going for primal type food though such as potato and beans those sorts of things, just lots more. I have to eat every 3 hours throughout the day to put on muscle mass while training heavy weights 3 times a weeks.
                I thought his thread was interesting, easy to get plenty of calories in but was surprised with the fat intake amount... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39439.html
                Originally posted by s-piper View Post
                It sounds like grains may disagree with you, so you may find you feel better not eating them. Outside of that do some experimenting. Get your carbs from fruit and root vegetables like yams, turnips, potatoes, etc. and see how that works for you.

                I know that isn't much by way of advice, but maybe someone who has done what you wish to will come along and have something more for you. Good luck!
                Thank you...
                Originally posted by The Rebooted Body View Post
                This is nonsensical. Could you eat 400g of any macronutrient and not gain weight? The answer is probably yes. That doesn't say that carbs don't make people fat, it says that no macronutrient category makes YOU fat.

                Applying your specific situation to 5 billion people is one of the most nonsensical fallacies of all time.
                I like your last sentence. Since reading the book and studying nutrition I have been wondering, all the specialists we have in the field of nutritional science, I don't think any of them know what constitutes the "healthy diet"... Maybe there is no "one healthy diet" that fits all... I doubt all cavemen lived on the same foods so maybe some of our ancestors lived mainly primal and some adopted the agricultural version with grains etc so as the years passed the genetic lines would have adapted to each of the types of diets our ancestors were on... Maybe my genetic lines as piper said don't cope well with grains... Ill see how this diet goes with increased fat and lots of vegies... My lecturers don't like the ketone diet thing though...
                Originally posted by FiveX View Post
                Basically you have to find a formula that works for you Danhaych. Eat good carbs (20 percent) no processed foods or grains, good fat (50%, coconut oil to cook with, grass fed butter, olive oil etc.), and protein (30%, fish, beef, chicken, pork, grass fed and wild caught if possible). This is more or less my formula, I don't count calories only watch carbs. I am 5'10" and weigh 175lb which is where I want to be. Some folks have different metabolisms and can eat more carbs without increasing weight. I don't, nor do I want to look like a gaunt guitarist for the sex pistols, so I watch what I eat.

                It's your choice and you will find what works for you with a little tweaking, just be healthy and happy! Peace...5x
                Thank you...

                Comment

                Working...
                X