Non-Dairy drinks for calcium?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Dairy drinks for calcium?

I don't drink dairy because I believe cow's milk are for cow's.
    I also heard almond milk isn't so good because it's just almonds and water but I drink it for calcium..is almond milk fine to drink or are there better options?

Just because it's white doesn't mean it's high in calcium. Most non-dairy "milks" are intended for people who want to drink something that looks and tastes like cow's milk, while deluding themselves that it is the nutritional equivalent.

Comment

You will get plenty of calcium from leafy greens, roots, red meat and fish.
      "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Katherine, I know but those "milks" are really convenient to drink and they contain a lot of calcium in one serving which is why I drink them.

Cryptocode, I try with leafy greens but the volume of spinach required to meet 100% calcium requirements is huge! And beef only contains about 7-8% per serving (300-500 calories)

Do you guys take calcium supplements or are you guys fine just eating regular primal food?

Comment

They only contain a lot of calcium in a serving if they have it added to them.

Comment

Added calcium isn't as bio available as natural calcium either. I'd just take a supplement but honestly it's not that hard to get adequate calcium through food. Eat some yogurt.
            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Ooooooooh, I get it now, I guess I will stop buying almond milk I guess and stick to leafy greens since I also get bloated after eating dairy
              Oh and I have another question: I made coconut flour after blending coconut flakes and water and straining,etc etc. I kept the leftover water in the fridge overnight and there was a layer of solid white stuff on top..what is that? I looked everywhere on the internet but I couldn't get a straight answer

Comment

Ooh, that's coconut fat. Yum. Enjoy!

Comment

very cool! thanks everyone I really appreciate the help

Comment

Bony fish and bone broth are both awesome as well. Even putting bony meat in your slow cooker for a long time will cause the minerals to leach out of the bones into your broth/sauce.

Comment

sounds like a delicious idea! what kind of bones would you recommend?
                      My parents make oxtail soup sometimes and big globs of fat float on the surface overnight, I know fat is not bad, but is there a thing called too much fat?

Comment

Originally posted by Kool View Post
                        My parents make oxtail soup sometimes and big globs of fat float on the surface overnight, I know fat is not bad, but is there a thing called too much fat?
                        Marrow bones with the joints! Oxtail makes great stew. If you are worried about the fat, you can skim it off when it solidifies. I think the fat is okay if the beef is grass-fed.

Pork ribs also make delicious broth. It does not have such a strong taste like beef does.

Sardines is also a good source of calcium. The smaller ones are tastier. I eat the bones and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Kool View Post
                          Marrow bones with the joints! Oxtail makes great stew. If you are worried about the fat, you can skim it off when it solidifies. I think the fat is okay if the beef is grass-fed.

Pork ribs also make delicious broth. It does not have such a strong taste like beef does.

Sardines is also a good source of calcium. The smaller ones are tastier. I eat the bones and everything.

Comment

Yep, fish and animal bones and their stock is a good source. Leafy greens aren't bad. Calcium really isn't that great by itself, as it needs Vit D and K2 to make it at all useful. Most calcium supplements are the equivalent of chalk which just loves to deposit in your artery walls.

Comment

Working...
                            X