Plateau Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Millersoontobelite View Post
    I am just frustrated for the first time since going PB.
    I am almost 280 pounds. in fact i was 278.6 this morning after eating paleo soup and a bunless burger and some nuts all day yesterday. something is wrong and i hate it. i feel like being so overweight still means that i should be able to lose some weight fairly easily if eating appropriately and burning some calories.
    You're eating nuts and complaining about weight stall? You drink diet soda and complain about weight stall? I'm not sure what you're looking for here.

Are you weighing at the same time every time you weigh? Same day of the week? Getting on the scale every day is worthless. Once a week max. And measurements every two weeks.
    Rebooted Body -- Ancestral Health + Modern Psychology | The Rebooted Body Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by The Rebooted Body View Post
      You're eating nuts and complaining about weight stall? You drink diet soda and complain about weight stall? I'm not sure what you're looking for here.

Are you weighing at the same time every time you weigh? Same day of the week? Getting on the scale every day is worthless. Once a week max. And measurements every two weeks.
      A 280 pound man, otherwise healthy, who is under 6' tall, and not a 'roided up body-builder, should be easily able to lose 3-5lbs/week for several months or until he is down to about 200lbs or so before hitting a serious stall.

I should think if said man in example above counted his calories and kept them between 1500-1800 while adhering to PB principals with absolutely no refined flour of any kind, no vegetable oils, and no refined sugars or sweeteners, and was not losing weight at a slow and steady rate, that something is seriously wrong.

I would recommend getting a complete physical with bloodwork to check things like Vit D, cholesterol, trigs, FBG, and thyroid.

A stall so early in the game means 1 of 2 things: serious metabolic disturbance or not being serious about diet

In this case, I would not recommend much strenuous exercise, walking and basic flexibility only, until stall is reversed and weight is once again moving in right direction.

Comment

Less food, no junk, more movement, lift for gods sake......and no nuts. They aren't a source of protein and they are highly calorie dense. I doubt that you are eating as little as you say you are. Don't add fat. There's enough in the eggs, chicken and steak.

Comment

I am 5'10. today was an average day. i had two eggs with onions and mushrooms for breakfast. For lunch i ate 12 oz cup of homemade soup, which was chicken, sausage, carrots, celery, mushrooms and a little spinach in homemade low sodium broth.
          For dinner tonight i plan to eat a 9-10 oz grass fed ribeye and some veggies. i normally would uct up a quarter of a sweet potato and cook in oven in a little olive oil but i am avoiding that now.
          the only way this general intake level is ever different is sometimes when in a rush i eat almonds/walnut mix for a snack. They are the 100 calorie packs, so small portion.
          i understand that having a few nuts and drinking diet soda is a no no, but I have one soda a day at most, and the nuts are maybe three times a week. i dunno, this just seems wrong. as overweight as i still i am expected to be losing weight moderately quickly still
          SW 333 PBSW 308 CW 291 LW 254 GW 220

Comment

You can drink as much diet coke, coffee or tea as you like, but for your food you need to systematically control your portions or calories! If not it will only be guessing at best...
            "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Your 10 oz ribeye is 800 calories, assuming you trim the edge fat. Holy mackerel. Try london broil, maybe....what did you cook your eggs in? and how much grease is on that soup?

Also, I'm betting that there is a ton of "hidden eating" going on, that bite or two of stuff that you don't even realize you are eating and certainly don't count.

Get off your butt and move. At one time, I worked in a nursing home where essentially immobile people were fed through tubes. They gained weight on 700 calories of ensure a day. Most overweight people I know vastly overestimate their activity, because it takes so much for them to move.

Comment

And for crying out loud, quit the diet soda!

Comment

based on myfitnesspal my average caloric intake for the last three weeks is 2090. that doesnt seem off base to me. my eggs are always in cast iron skillet seasoned from years of olive oil. i seldom add any.

As i said, i just have an expectation of losing 1-2 pounds a week and im not, and wanted input. Based on your replies your perception is that I must be a gluttonous asshat that sits on the couch playing video games all day. This isnt true but to summarize what i am looking at starting tomorrow,

im going to cut out diet soda/sweet potatoes/nuts entirely and cut down on my portion size of dinner a bit. I will try to lift a couple times this week, but it will likely replace at least one of my days of play. i work at my school from 7am-8pm (day and night school) with a break for an hour at 4-5 which is when i get a quick 18 of disc in usually.
                  I get home around 9 and usually walk and cook the next days breakfast and lunch.

anyway, thanks for the input ladies and gents.

Comment

Originally posted by murf73 View Post
                    And for crying out loud, quit the diet soda!
                    it is the only thing in my daily intake i truly love. makes it hard

Comment

gluttonous asshat that sits on the couch playing video games all day.
                      I did kind of sound that way didn't it?

Giving up diet soda is for the greater good! You can do it. Replace it with water.

Don't go too crazy cutting calories, if you are truly eating 2000 a day, that should lead to the weightloss you desire. Don't get much below 1800 for now, but eventually you may have to.

Also, try to get some labs drawn, especially thyroid, otherwise you could be spinning your wheels for nothing.

Comment

it is the only thing in my daily intake i truly love. makes it hard
                        Remember that no matter how much you may love some food, it can never love you back.

Comment

my biggest problem with any diet is that i dont like anything. i hate vegetables. i dont like chicken. i spend every day not enjoying 75 percent of what i put in my body. i am guessing most of you dont feel that way. so diet soda is what i look forward to at a meal. good for me or not, it gets me through the day.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzylogic View Post
                            Also, I'm betting that there is a ton of "hidden eating" going on, that bite or two of stuff that you don't even realize you are eating and certainly don't count.

Nothing i eat doesnt get logged. even if i have a piece of gum or a tic tac it is on myfitnesspal

Comment

my biggest problem with any diet is that i dont like anything. i hate vegetables. i dont like chicken. i spend every day not enjoying 75 percent of what i put in my body. i am guessing most of you dont feel that way. so diet soda is what i look forward to at a meal. good for me or not, it gets me through the day.
                              So what did you used to eat when you allowed yourself to eat freely, but there was nothing you liked to eat? I have trouble imagining eating food I don't like.

Comment

Check your way of measuring, make sure to use "kilogram" as your measuring unit...
                                "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                                X