Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Rebuttal needed for Low Carb "Myth" statement

National Nutrition Month Fact vs. Fiction:
    o Myth – Eating carbohydrates causes weight gain.
    o Fact – Calories caught weight gain. Excess carbohydrates are no more fattening than calories from any source. Despite the claims of low-carb diet books, a high-carbohydrate diet does not promote fat storage by enhancing insulin resistance.
    o The takeaway – Strive to eat a diet including carbohydrates, fats, and proteins because all macronutrients play key roles in the optimal function of the human body. It simply isn’t healthy to eliminate one of these three fuel sources!
    I know that this is a straw man argument. It papers all "low carb" by attempting to shoot down "no carb".

I need a polite and convincing response to this. Help?

There is none. That is completely true.

Comment

Originally posted by Philmont Scott View Post
      I know that this is a straw man argument. It papers all "low carb" by attempting to shoot down "no carb".

most of that is ok. it might get the insulin resistance thing a little bit wrong, but the big problem is that it oversimplifies things. really, the best response is to tell this person to read Good Calories, Bad Calories. a high carbohydrate diet in the form of sugar will certainly lead to fat storage. playing around with safe starches, however, should be fine depending on a person's activity level.

my preferred response would be to ask that this person/organization report the same myth and facts about fat.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
        most of that is ok. it might get the insulin resistance thing a little bit wrong, but the big problem is that it oversimplifies things. really, the best response is to tell this person to read Good Calories, Bad Calories. a high carbohydrate diet in the form of sugar will certainly lead to fat storage. playing around with safe starches, however, should be fine depending on a person's activity level.
        Only say this if you want to get laughed at.

Comment

Of course a high-carb diet can lead to fat gain. Scott, have a look at this video here: .

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
            Of course a high-carb diet can lead to fat gain. Scott, have a look at this video here: .
            Lol, more nutritional comedy.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
              There is none. That is completely true.
              +1
              | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                Lol, more nutritional comedy.
                Care to elaborate or will you continue to just post more useless statements with no explanation?

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
                  Care to elaborate or will you continue to just post more useless statements with no explanation?
                  don't engage the trolls. if you keep feeding them, they keep coming back.
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Carbs does NOT cause weight gain per se, but overeating on them does! Carbs, especially processed carbs are made so tasty that they were easily leads to a drug-a-like effect on the abusers of them, cravings and mood changes etc.! So watch out, eating one or two cookies of “Chip Ahoi!” will very likely make you eat the whole bag if you even start eating, but that doesn’t mean that carbohydrates causes weight gain though! Some fatty food like (salted) nuts can work pretty much the same, you easily overeat them, eat until the bag is empty, and if the nuts are more processed there may be an reason for just that, the food companies want you to eat more of them to sell more!

Some foods are designed to make sure that you overeat on them:

cookie+dough+pie1.jpg
                    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

The original quote is pretty accurate, whether you like sugar or not.

Comment

I would say that absolutely you need a diet BALANCED in all three macro-nutrients. The current "SAD" diet is extremely weighted towards carbs - often 2/3 carbs and 1/3 everything else. That's not balanced at all. A "lower" carb diet is actually more balanced.
                        28 years old, insurance broker
                        starting weight 195 lbs (5'4")
                        working on losing weight, getting active, and curing my GERD

Comment

The best rebuttal to that is the insulin hypothesis put forth in Good Calories, Bad Calories.

And the best rebuttal to the insulin hypothesis is all peer-reviewed metabolic research ever.

Sorry I couldn't help much. :/

Comment

To the OP: The myth/fact/takeaway sections are actually kinda true. Of course, what the % breakdown of calories from the different groups is up for debate. However, carbohydrates can lead to weight gain in two different ways (that do not magically circumvent calories):

a: Carbohydrates do not signal for satiety in the way that fat and protein do, so it is much more likely that you can/will overeat with insufficient fats and proteins in the diet

b: Many refined carbohydrate products are nutritionally sparse, in the sense that they provide 'empty calories' and very little of your micronutrient requirements (vitamins and minerals). And nutrient deficiencies will also trigger a 'need more' appetite response.

@Tim: Heh.
                            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

National Nutrition Month Fact vs. Fiction:
                              o Myth – Eating carbohydrates causes weight gain.
                              o Fact – Calories cause weight gain. Excess carbohydrates are no more fattening than calories from any source. Despite the claims of low-carb diet books, a high-carbohydrate diet does not promote fat storage by enhancing insulin resistance.
                              o The takeaway – Strive to eat a diet including carbohydrates, fats, and proteins because all macronutrients play key roles in the optimal function of the human body. It simply isn’t healthy to eliminate one of these three fuel sources!
                              "1. Excess carbohydrates are no more fattening than calories from any source. 2. High-carbohydrate diet does not promote fat storage by enhancing insulin resistance. 3. Strive to eat a diet including carbohydrates, fats, and proteins"

1. It's the details that make the difference. Excess carbs are more fattening because carbs are converted directly to sugar and stored. However it's true that excess calories will ultimately cause weight gain no matter how long it takes or what the process. For example, excess protein will cause weight gain but it's slower and much healthier. Here the problem (between protein and carbs) is not so much the calories as the additives.

2. When sugar storage space runs out (so to speak) insulin-resistance occurs. They say it does not but offer no facts to back that up. It can also cause leptin resistance.

3. A balanced diet with fats - this is new. Now they're going to let us eat fats. Is this a 33/33/33% diet being proposed. I don't think so, but that would be a big improvement over no or very low fats.

4. It may be very healthy to eliminate carbs and live in ketosis. It's a good argument anyway.
                              Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-11-2013, 09:02 PM.
                              "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Working...
                              X