Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kata View Post
    Really? Where?
    They're in nearly every Whole Foods on the west coast. Real junk, in the same vein as Atkins products.

Blackstrap molasses has incredible nutrient density, the only problem is its huge iron content, but that's slightly displaced by the amount of calcium it also contains. I usually drink it with coffee or milk anyway.
    Make America Great Again

Comment

• I put organic blackstrap molasses in my coconut milk sometimes. A little goes a long way!
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
        They're in nearly every Whole Foods on the west coast. Real junk, in the same vein as Atkins products.
        Gross! I haven't seen anything like that around here, and I hope I never do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kata View Post
          Gross! I haven't seen anything like that around here, and I hope I never do.
          You probably will. The whole movement is getting pretty large, and it's an ideology easy to cash in on. Many of my coworkers have asked me about it in the past, thinking they stumbled upon the nirvana of health. Of course, their understanding of it was about what you expect from newcomers who are really excited to eat tons of bacon.
          Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
            If fat is such an superior fuel for the body, maybe the hospitals should start to give patients a fat solution instead of the usual glucose solution?
            Maybe if the population was fat adapted, that might actually be a good idea, but alas the majority are sugar addicts, so they need glucose to stabalise their withdrawals.

Besides the medical system doesn't really care about nutrition, you ever tried hospital food?
            "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

• The population isn't fat adapted because it's not optimal, or natural. It's a huge stress on your body and is used as an emergency response. Research is cherrypicked, because, ketones are highly protective and a preferential fuel over glucose, but the act of being in ketosis is a huge burden on your body.
              Make America Great Again

Comment

The population isn't fat adapted because it's not optimal, or natural. It's a huge stress on your body and is used as an emergency response. Research is cherrypicked, because, ketones are highly protective and a preferential fuel over glucose, but the act of being in ketosis is a huge burden on your body.
                Really? How? Why is ketosis a burden on your body? Why is it not "natural"? This forum is set up by the guy who taught me about a diet that put me into ketosis by its design. It's funny that I am healthier today than I was when I ate the SAD.

TROLL - I SEE A TROLL!!!
                Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
                2/16/13 at 241 pounds
                Goal is 223 pounds or less

Comment

The population isn't fat adapted because it's not optimal, or natural. It's a huge stress on your body and is used as an emergency response. Research is cherrypicked, because, ketones are highly protective and a preferential fuel over glucose, but the act of being in ketosis is a huge burden on your body.
                  I never understood where the logic stems from that the body (and brain) prefer ketones, yet you can drop out of ketosis as easily as biting into a carrot. Wouldn't evolution have made the body fight to stay in ketosis a little more instead of bouncing--seamlessly--back to burning glucose? It fights hard against getting into ketiosis, so that doesn't suggest it likes or prefers something to me. Studies aren't even needed to observe this fact of all human life. I agree with you completely about it being a survival mechanism. The "carb flu," in my opinion, seems more like a warning that something is drastically wrong with the system and the body is going to turn on a backup generator while there's a shortage of fuel. Doesn't seem preferential to me. I think evolution worked it in to extend life until we could get our preferred fuels back in order.
                  Last edited by j3nn; 03-15-2013, 12:39 PM.
                  | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

• Originally posted by Go Tribe View Post
                    Really? How? Why is ketosis a burden on your body? Why is it not "natural"? This forum is set up by the guy who taught me about a diet that put me into ketosis by its design. It's funny that I am healthier today than I was when I ate the SAD.

TROLL - I SEE A TROLL!!!
                    That's it. This forum has overused the term troll to the point of saturation. It's now a meaningless and antiquated Internet word because too many people used it wrongly.
                    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

• Originally posted by Go Tribe View Post
                      Really? How? Why is ketosis a burden on your body? Why is it not "natural"? This forum is set up by the guy who taught me about a diet that put me into ketosis by its design. It's funny that I am healthier today than I was when I ate the SAD.!!!
                      Yes, it's hilarious that transitioning from a diet of over-consuming processed foods to a nutrient dense, whole-foods eating plan made you healthier. A real stand-up.
                      Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                      https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                      MFP Food Diary:
                      http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                      (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

I haven;t seen anything but cherry picking with the opposing argument either, there is no definitive evidence either way as far as I have seen, one camp cites the Inuit, the other the Kitavans, in my mind there is no doubt that we evolved to survive at times on a high fat diet ketosis and other times on a high carb diet, both are on the fringe of the ideal, but ideally our body should be capable of doing both without ill effect.
                        "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

• Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                          I never understood where the logic stems from that the body (and brain) prefer ketones, yet you can drop out of ketosis as easily as biting into a carrot. Wouldn't evolution have made the body fight to stay in ketosis a little more instead of bouncing--seamlessly--back to burning glucose? It fights hard against getting into ketiosis, so that doesn't suggest it likes or prefers something to me. Studies aren't even needed to observe this fact of all human life. I agree with you completely about it being a survival mechanism. The "carb flu," in my opinion, seems more like a warning that something is drastically wrong with the system and the body is going to turn on a backup generator while there's a shortage of fuel. Doesn't seem preferential to me. I think evolution worked it in to extend life until we could get our preferred fuels back in order.
                          Boy that sounds logical to me. But what do i know, im a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                            That's it. This forum has overused the term troll to the point of saturation. It's now a meaningless and antiquated Internet word because too many people used it wrongly.
                            You're such a troll J3nn.

"I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by Omni View Post
                              I haven;t seen anything but cherry picking with the opposing argument either, there is no definitive evidence either way as far as I have seen, one camp cites the Inuit, the other the Kitavans, in my mind there is no doubt that we evolved to survive at times on a high fat diet ketosis and other times on a high carb diet, both are on the fringe of the ideal, but ideally our body should be capable of doing both without ill effect.
                              No no, you mean one sites the Inuit, the other sites every other group of people on the planet ever. The Inuit are also only several thousand years old and therfore are not paleo, yet they are the poster child for the paleo way of eating. Ridiculous.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
                                Boy that sounds logical to me. But what do i know, im a troll.
                                That's why it sounds logical to you!

Comment

Working...
                                X