Best Rebuttal needed for Low Carb "Myth" statement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Actually this is part of the reason that fat is the least problematic in excess. Essentially the conversion and disposal pathways of carbohydrate and protein do produce toxic elements to a much greater degree than you would ever find with fat storage.
    BS. The most harmful source of energy of all is polyunsaturated fat, particularly oxidized polyunsaturated fat. Fat is problematic in excess because if you're consuming whole foods high in fat, you're naturally taking in a lot of polyunsaturated fat unless you subsist solely on ruminant meat, dairy and coconut. That's not happening. Paleo people love bacon, eggs, pork, poultry and nuts. All this stuff is far more problematic than potatoes and fruit, since fruit and starch is stored mostly as saturated fat with small quantities of omega-9 MUFA and almost no PUFA. It's also more advantageous to your thyroid and adrenals so you're more likely to have a faster metabolism switching out fatty meat, fish and eggs for leaner cuts of red meat and fresh fruit and tubers.

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Of course we have been through this Gorbag, but just to restate it is not about ease of storage! Its about the capacity to access those stores and utilize them for energy. Its also about the least metabolic collateral damage produced when utilizing that fuel. So yes, we are talking quality of fuel.... optimized hormones, micronutrient replete with plenty of cofactors to go through the processes.
    Least metabolic collateral damage = fruit. It's slow absorbing, it creates the most CO2, it speeds up your thyroid the most, it's stored almost exclusively as saturated fat in your tissues in moments of overconsumption...fresh fruit is king. There is the least amount of metabolic and hormonal advantage to fat. The only real exception is MCT's, but coconut isn't exactly nutritious. Fruit, grassfed dairy, potatoes, plantains, leaner red meat...that's how I roll these days.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
      It means absolutely everything. The reason why bodybuilders are successful is because they know what their maintenance calorie levels are and count calories. The average American does not. They eat whenever they want food, and because they consume mostly processed foods, it's nearly all the time. Again, simple CICO. It has nothing to do with carbs.
      It means absolutely nothing. The reason why Mark's low-moderate carb diet is successful is because people simply, buy some primal fare from the supermarket once a week, stock it in their fridge and eat it when hungry until full. No intensive macro counting, no intensive calorie counting, no changing your macro ratios depending on whether your cutting or building, no specific timing of your meals. Just eat the right food when your hungry. simple, easy, effective. Trust your body's internal mechanisms to do the CICO that it's been doing for many thousands of years.
      Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM. Reason: Punctuation
      A little primal gem - My Success Story
      Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Comment

Originally posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
        90% (just a guess could be 70%, 80%) of the western population is "ADDICTED" to cheap carbs.
        This is a ridiculous statement. Have you ever actually tried to become addicted to "cheap carbs?"

Take a bag of flour and a bag of sugar. Open them up. Take a fork. GO! See how far you get before you quit.

Cheap carbs are disgusting. They only become attractive when they're mixed with oils and thickeners and manufactured into interesting shapes and textures, then colored to appealing, eye-catching colors. Processed food is not a cheap carb - it is a cheap mixture of carbs, fats, colorings, preservatives, thickeners and "natural and artificial flavors." Cheap carbs are not palatable on their own. Try eating 4 big baked potatoes on their own. You probably won't make it. Now cover them in butter, sour cream, salt and pepper - load them up with fat and salt. Watch how much more you choke them down.

I'm assuming you won't have a citation showing 70-90% of people are addicted to carbs. I'm guessing that's because that statement is false.
        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

It means absolutely nothing. The reason why marks low-moderate carb diet is successful is because people simply buy some primal fare from the supermarket once a week stock it in their fridge and eat it when hungry until full. No intensive macro counting, no intensive calorie counting, no changing your macro ratios depending on whether your cutting or building, no specific timing of your meals. Just eat the right food when your hungry. simple, easy, effective. Trust your body's internal mechanisms to do the CICO that it's been doing for many thousands of years.
          What do you think I've been saying this whole time? The Primal Blueprint works for one reason - whole foods are more filling and nutritious than processed foods, so you naturally eat less calories. It works by spontaneously reducing calories - CICO.

It has absolutely nothing to do with carbs. You can do the same thing with chicken breast and potatoes. You may even reach your goal faster since potatoes and chicken breast is more satiating than fatty cuts of meat. Try consuming 1,000 calories of grilled chicken breast and baked potatoes vs 1,000 calories of bacon and sausage. You'll eat less chicken and potatoes probably every time. Eat the foods that keep your calorie intake lowest.

If you want to track your macros, again, the pizza and ice cream diet will be just as successful as The Primal Blueprint for weight loss since calories are all that matter for weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
            So you're saying it's the bun that makes people addicted to mcburgers and not the greasy slab of beef drenched with cheap fats, preservatives and msg that addicts people?

Riiight...

Most sweets and cheap carbs are loaded with the same sorts of fat.
            yep pretty much, I mean the patty is probably real nice tasting for them and yes also has them addicted on the monosodium glutamate, as I said in another post the big food companies aren't idiots, they'll addict you anyway they can. Best way is thru carbs tho. If you go into macca's (i don't go there) next time have a look at whats sittin next to the burger with the greasy beef patty in it. I'll tell ya what I've noticed: It's a ginormous cup of sugar in the form of coke (carb addict puller) and next to that another massive cup of carbs in the form of chips. the chips also have alot of tasty fat and lots of salt and MSG. hittin ya from all angles.

Ok so we SADers seek out fat as well as carbs and they do as as much or more damage to our waist lines BUT....

It's carbs our brains run off. For 20-30 years westerners have tried low fat diets and nearly all fail miserably, because they can't kick the carb habit. The brains survival response of wanting more fuel (glucose) every few hours is too strong for most to over come.
            You can't go low carb/ low fat either you brain will still signal being starved of energy.

If your addicted to carbs (If your a SADer you probably are) you have to kick the habit, one of the best ways (not the only way) I've seen to do this is to follow Mark's diet. Once your body is a champion at converting its own glucose and your IR and leptin are all in order. You can go to town on the carbs and probably thrive. Just don't let your brain take you down the path of relying on a carb hit to boost its energy supplies.
            A little primal gem - My Success Story
            Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Comment

It's carbs our brains run off. For 20-30 years westerners have tried low fat diets and nearly all fail miserably, because they can't kick the carb habit. The brains survival response of wanting more fuel (glucose) every few hours is too strong for most to over come.
              Wouldn't failing at a low-fat diet suggest fat was the greater alluring factor, not carbs? A low-fat diet is likely to be high in carbs by default, so if people can fulfill their carb "addiction," where does the failure stem from?

If your addicted to carbs (If your a SADer you probably are) you have to kick the habit, one of the best ways (not the only way) I've seen to do this is to follow Mark's diet. Once your body is a champion at converting its own glucose and your IR and leptin are all in order. You can go to town on the carbs and probably thrive. Just don't let your brain take you down the path of relying on a carb hit to boost its energy supplies.
              Bad, brain, bad! Wants its preferred source of fuel. Silly mother nature, Internet Paleo gurus know better!
              | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

It's carbs our brains run off. For 20-30 years westerners have tried low fat diets and nearly all fail miserably, because they can't kick the carb habit. The brains survival response of wanting more fuel (glucose) every few hours is too strong for most to over come. You can't go low carb/low fat either you brain will still signal being starved of energy ... Once your body is a champion at converting its own glucose and your IR and leptin are all in order. You can go to town on the carbs and probably thrive. Just don't let your brain take you down the path of relying on a carb hit to boost its energy supplies.

Comment

So you're saying it's the bun that makes people addicted to mcburgers and not the greasy slab of beef drenched with cheap fats, preservatives and msg that addicts people?

Riiight...

Most sweets and cheap carbs are loaded with the same sorts of fat.
                  not so fast

the last time i had a mcdonald's burger, a few years ago, the bun was sweet and to my newly sensitive taste buds it was disgustingly sweet

that was a new development (in my neck of the woods at least). i'm not a stranger to their food, having had it occasionally since childhood. so the greasy salty patties plus a sweetened bun? yeah they're going for as many sells as possible
                  beautiful
                  yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                  lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                    not so fast

the last time i had a mcdonald's burger, a few years ago, the bun was sweet and to my newly sensitive taste buds it was disgustingly sweet

that was a new development (in my neck of the woods at least). i'm not a stranger to their food, having had it occasionally since childhood. so the greasy salty patties plus a sweetened bun? yeah they're going for as many sells as possible
                    It's a combination of everything. Did you know McDonald's chicken nuggets come in 5 distinct shapes? Everything about their food is engineered to make you want more of it. But to simply blame carbs is incredibly misguided. Flour and sugar are grotesque on their own, but when you coat them in fat and salt, roll them into interesting shapes and fry them in even more fat...suddenly something magical happens. White flour, soybean oil and white sugar are all gross on their own, but packaged as a doughnut...well...

Comment

Those chewy buns are tasty. Back in the day I would have eaten the bun plain, but the bun is loaded with dozens of flavor and texture enhancers. You can't (easily) make something like it at home. Only a lab and special ovens can produce something so unnaturally delicious. If they served them on flour and water bread, nobody would know what a McD's is today.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                        not so fast

yeah that was the point i was getting at.
                        Make America Great Again

Comment

It's a combination of everything. Did you know McDonald's chicken nuggets come in 5 distinct shapes? Everything about their food is engineered to make you want more of it. But to simply blame carbs is incredibly misguided. Flour and sugar are grotesque on their own, but when you coat them in fat and salt, roll them into interesting shapes and fry them in even more fat...suddenly something magical happens. White flour, soybean oil and white sugar are all gross on their own, but packaged as a doughnut...well...
                          There was something special about the round nuggets. Never wanted the pointy or egg-shaped ones, just the round ones! How sick is that? Lol.

Comment

sugar are grotesque on their own, white sugar are all gross on their own,
                            Wanna throw down? I'll drop the gloves right now
                            Make America Great Again

Comment

a bread lover would

you know.. not naming any names or anything, but it starts with M and ends with E
                              beautiful
                              yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                              lol

Comment

Wanna throw down? I'll drop the gloves right now
                                dooo it dooo it dooo it!!
                                beautiful
                                yeah you are

lol

Comment

Working...
                                X