No announcement yet.

Rice? Potatoes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's confusing? They're food. I eat one or both of them every day or as I want them. People who eat them tend to enjoy them. Not everyone abides by Mark's carb curve; many of us are PHD/Peat/WAPF eaters.
    Last edited by j3nn; 03-11-2013, 08:56 AM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Michiel
      If you eat those things then why are you on this forum? Isn't one of the main ideas for getting your health thriving again to stop the carbs?
      .??? No.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
        exactly where does mark say that his primal diet is "minimal carbs?" or that carbs "don't give any benefit?" or that they are "counterproductive to weight/fat loss?" if eating potatoes was counterproductive to weight/fat loss, how is it that many people here are having success with (ridiculous) potato diets and whatnot?
        Shrugs. I have lost nearly 100 lbs eating lots of carbs, and know millions of others do the same. This myth needs to be buried.

Comment

Originally posted by Padz View Post
          I have to disagree. The recurring point that mark makes is that primal is minimal carbs. And certainly not from grains or starchy tubers. Even in the two articles you link he states that they won't do you harm to eat them occasionally if you are quite active.

For the average person they're just not really giving any benefit. The only time I eat rice or potato is after an intense gym workout.
          Primal is not minimal carbs; I mean, if you compare it with the normal worldwide diet, it might be much lower carb, however that doesn't mean you can't have a diet high in carbs and still be primal. And tubers are fine unless you have a real problem when eating them.

Originally posted by Padz View Post
          Eating them at any other time will only result in the carbs being stored as fat.
          No; carbs don't make you fat and, again, we come to the same statement, a calorie surplus will lead to weight gain.

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
            Shrugs. I have lost nearly 100 lbs eating lots of carbs, and know millions of others do the same. This myth needs to be buried.
            ^this. thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalStudent View Post
              ^this. thank you.
              +1.

I eat white rice, potatoes, or sweet potatoes twice every day. I started Primal VLC because I wanted to "lose weight". Well since then, I've slowly added carbs back to my diet and currently sit around 200-250g per day and have noticed zero difference with respect to weight loss.

Comment

If millions of people were losing 100 or more pounds each on a weight loss program of eating lots of carbs, there would be no problem in this country with morbid obesity. 2% or fewer of those who go on diets lose the weight they intend to and keep it off, and most diets include lots of carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                  If millions of people were losing 100 or more pounds each on a weight loss program of eating lots of carbs, there would be no problem in this country with morbid obesity. 2% or fewer of those who go on diets lose the weight they intend to and keep it off, and most diets include lots of carbs.
                  By taking a boo through j3nn's blog, I don't think you can compare her journey to those eating carb-heavy SAD diets. The quality of the carbs counts for a lot, and a cup of white rice isn't going to promote obesity the way a Costco-sized bag of Cheetos is. As long as highly-processed food is what most people reach for, there will always be an obesity epidemic.

Comment

you can't honestly believe that carbohydrates are bad, right?

Comment

Unsaturated fat
                      Make America Great Again

Comment

you can't honestly believe that carbohydrates are bad, right?
                        Bad? No. The perfect food? No.

But the idea that millions of people are permanently losing 100 or more pounds by eating any sort of diet is nonsense, be it high or low carb, high or low fat, high or low protein, healthy or really bad. The number of people who eat Paleo are so few as to be not even on the medical radar.

I'd like a citation.

Comment

Bad? No. The perfect food? No.

But the idea that millions of people are permanently losing 100 or more pounds by eating any sort of diet is nonsense, be it high or low carb, high or low fat, high or low protein, healthy or really bad. The number of people who eat Paleo are so few as to be not even on the medical radar.

I'd like a citation.
                          how is a carb not perfect? whats wrong with it? it sounds like you are lumping doritos in with potatoes and rice or carbs from broccoli.

you could lose 100lbs eating mcdonalds cheeseburgers. as long as you were in a calorie defecit

Comment

I eat a banana or two every day, grain once a week (not rice, buckwheat or millet in 1/3 cup dry quantity) and potatoes... not sure. I could not honestly count myself among the living when I tried to stay in ketosis.
                            Last edited by Leida; 03-11-2013, 11:30 AM.
                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I think a big injustice to dieting is done by lumping all forms of carbohydrate together. I fell into this trap myself, so can speak from experience. When starting PB, I wanted to stay around 50g or less carbs per day. I was getting this 50g from things like sugar, nuts, veggies--zero from starch. Starchy foods are very easy to avoid because they are big, obnoxious, in-your-face kinda foods. Sugar is hard to avoid and easy to justify.

Eating a potato or some rice in no way is the same as eating Doritoes, candy bars, and white bread. Potatoes and rice are real foods and not a cause of insidious weight gain when eaten in sensible quantities. A diet completely devoid of starch is not a good long term plan, IMO.

Comment

how is a carb not perfect? whats wrong with it? it sounds like you are lumping doritos in with potatoes and rice or carbs from broccoli.

you could lose 100lbs eating mcdonalds cheeseburgers. as long as you were in a calorie defecit
                                You can continue to ignore the point of my original post - that "millions of people" have not successfully lost weight and kept it off using a high carb protocol of any sort. Or any other protocol. If there existed a highly successful weight loss formula, the country wouldn't have an obesity problem.

Citation still needed.

Comment

Working...
                                X