Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone get told they must have an eating disorder?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone get told they must have an eating disorder?

I've been told by my family the following:

- that eating an entire chicken is "binge eating".
    - that I should eat grains because they are carbs, and that avoiding them is a bad way of thinking.

Of course I find this hilarious, because I am eating healthy 9besides my 20%... cheat weekends when I'm with the bf or his family).

Thoughts?
    ‎"I've heard tell that what you imagine sometimes comes true " - Roald Dahl

“Keep making things and treating people well.”- Jason Gregory

"Don’t try to be different. Just be good. To be good is different enough."- Arthur Freed

5'6"
    24 year old female
    Current: Always between 115 and 119.
    Goal: Get ripped.
    My Journal

My family, who don't (and won't) eat primal, watched me live with an eating disorder for 13 years. They know what it looks like, and primal looks nothing like an eating disorder. They're big cheerleaders.
    My Walk From West Coast to East Coast

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81011.html

Comment

I get told that all the time.

All.

The.

FRIGGIN'.

TIME.

By people three times my size who haven't been to the gym or lifted anything heavier than a fork to their mouths in over ten years or who sit on their asses 98% of the time... When you realize that, you realize how patently ridiculous it is. It's annoying, yes, but when you make this realization you begin to understand that it's pointless paying them any mind.

Just keep on doing what you're doing.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ljphalen View Post
        My family, who don't (and won't) eat primal, watched me live with an eating disorder for 13 years. They know what it looks like, and primal looks nothing like an eating disorder. They're big cheerleaders.
        I also used to have an eating disorder (when I was 17)- basically when I was on the raw vegan diet. That diet made my weight drop badly. What I'm doing now, feeding my body, is nothing like what I did to myself before (even when I thought being a raw vegan was healthy... aghhh). My family is on SAD and committed to it though. They think anyone who eats differently has an ED, it seems...

"Don’t try to be different. Just be good. To be good is different enough."- Arthur Freed

5'6"
        24 year old female
        My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
          I get told that all the time.

All.

The.

FRIGGIN'.

TIME.

By people three times my size who haven't been to the gym or lifted anything heavier than a fork to their mouths in over ten years or who sit on their asses 98% of the time... When you realize that, you realize how patently ridiculous it is. It's annoying, yes, but when you make this realization you begin to understand that it's pointless paying them any mind.

Just keep on doing what you're doing.
          Thank you! I really need encouragement to not let them get to me right now!

5'6"
          24 year old female
          My Journal

Comment

eating an entire chicken is a rite of passage

and i didn't know bread was the only source of carbs

so bite off a chunk of meat and garble-yell 'GTFO'
            beautiful
            yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
            lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
              so bite off a chunk of meat and garble-yell 'GTFO'

LOL. Love it!

5'6"
              24 year old female
              My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by amber_maiden View Post
                Thank you! I really need encouragement to not let them get to me right now!
                I eat only once a day a-la Warrior Diet style I guess. So you can imagine how much I get flack from the "OMG eat six times a day at LEAST" crowd and I haven't let it get to me.

When you make the connection that you're healthier than everyone who is giving you advice to begin with, then you start to think "if my results don't speak for themselves, then they can't be helped." And you stat NOT wanting theirs.
                "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Whenever I skip lunch because I'm still full from breakfast, people are all like "Girl, you need to eat! You're going to waste away to nothing! What's wrong with you? Eat! Eat! Eat!" Sure, I had a heaping plate of eggs and bacon that morning and I'm gonna die of starvation.

Comment

I had a cousin tell me that my wrists were so thin that it was scary and my grandmother told me not DARE lose anymore weight our I would be unattractive and skeletal- and I'm not even that thin. Its just so different from them and what they're used to. If you feel you are healthy, forget about what they say.
                    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.” -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

Comment

I've gotta say.... I have never been confronted about my diet by anyone ever in my life. I guess I'm in the minority around here though, cause there are lots of people that have this issue it seems.

Comment

It is actually one of my kids that bugs me the most. Today she sent me "the best coconut milk ever, only 3.5% fat at 40 cals." She just can't fathom me wanting highest fat possible. She is gluten,egg and dairy free, but does it SAD. So lots of GF store bought stuff, low fat and meat. She drove me crazy staying with her last year.
                        Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                        Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
                        Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvergirl View Post
                          It is actually one of my kids that bugs me the most. Today she sent me "the best coconut milk ever, only 3.5% fat at 40 cals." She just can't fathom me wanting highest fat possible. She is gluten,egg and dairy free, but does it SAD. So lots of GF store bought stuff, low fat and meat. She drove me crazy staying with her last year.
                          agh. I was like you're daughter a year ago- gluten-free vegan... ate store bought GF cereals, over-priced garbage like almond ice cream from the health food stores... over processed crap- just as bad as SAD food.

5'6"
                          24 year old female
                          My Journal

Comment

LOL, it's hilarious to me that someone would say eating a chicken is binge eating because I have binge eating disorder and the only time I've ever binged on meat is when it just happened to have a pizza underneath it, and that's pretty universal among binge eaters. There is your occasional person (usually male) who'll talk about a chicken wing binge, but for everyone binges are pretty much always carb heavy.

And the thing about not eating grains being an unhealthy way of thinking...yeah, I think everyone who's ever tried Paleo, Primal, Atkins, or just low-carb in general has heard that one. There's even members here who often say it's unhealthy to eliminate an entire food group.

Comment

Originally posted by Cierra
                              I think it's awful that you actually did suffer from an eating disorder and your family is still accusing you of showing unhealthy habits when you are confident that you're doing right for your body. I know that when I was recovering and gaining weight back, nobody ever told me that they thought the way I was eating was wrong, harmful, or "binging" -- even when I consumed 3500+ in a day. My family and loved ones were just happy to see me eating something. I feel that your family, too, should recognize that you're nourishing yourself and be more positive and supportive toward your new (actually) healthy habits.
                              You'd think they'd be more supportive, but no... It's been years since my ED (I'm 24 now, I regained the weight when I was 19, after going vegan), and they think that the three-years I was a strict gluten-free vegan were healthier for me than me being Paleo... I have lost weight on Paleo, but I'm also a ton more muscular than I was as a vegan, and I am actively trying to regain weight- about 5 pounds, nothing major.

5'6"
                              24 year old female
                              My Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X