Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap meat?

I was reading this article- Dear Mark: Cheap Meat? | Mark's Daily Apple
    because I wanted more info on how I can save money on this diet. I have the budget of $200-300 (usually aiming for $200, because I really don't have extra money right now) a month, so in the past I've eaten legumes (tofu and peanut butter), just to make sure I got enough calories. I've dropped peanut butter after learning I'm mildly allergic to it (paying attention to your body has it's benefits). I used to eat no tofu or peanut butter, and was eating eggs, but learned I was allergic to those as well... (developed facial cysts from eating them. Stopped eating them, cysts went away), so now I use them sparingly.

My question is, are there any other ways to get meat in my diet? Anything I'm overlooking? Add in ore nuts perhaps? Thank you!
    ‎"I've heard tell that what you imagine sometimes comes true " - Roald Dahl

“Keep making things and treating people well.”- Jason Gregory

"Don’t try to be different. Just be good. To be good is different enough."- Arthur Freed

5'6"
    24 year old female
    Current: Always between 115 and 119.
    Goal: Get ripped.
    My Journal

Dairy?

Eat more carbs and less fat/pro, thats what the healthy poor people around the world do.

Comment

You can turn inexpensive cuts of meats like shanks and shoulders into delicious treats by slow cooking them. Do you own a crockpot?

Comment

Offal!!

Comment

Originally posted by Soil To Sustenance View Post
          You can turn inexpensive cuts of meats like shanks and shoulders into delicious treats by slow cooking them. Do you own a crockpot?
          I don't own a crockpot... I should get one...

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
          Offal!!
          Not sure what that is, but I'll look into it!

"Don’t try to be different. Just be good. To be good is different enough."- Arthur Freed

5'6"
          24 year old female
          My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
            Dairy?

Eat more carbs and less fat/pro, thats what the healthy poor people around the world do.
            I don't eat dairy- mildly allergic to that as well.
            Wouldn't carbs cost more?? Since carbs are from veggies... fruit...

5'6"
            24 year old female
            My Journal

Comment

Rice, potatoes and bananas. Staples around the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                Rice, potatoes and bananas. Staples around the world.
                I stay away from potatoes, and rice (grain). But bananas I eat

5'6"
                24 year old female
                My Journal

Comment

If you wanna save money, eat potatoes (unless you have a complete revulsion to them for some reason).

They're a nutrient dense food, and extremely versatile.
                  Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

Comment

Originally posted by paul119 View Post
                    If you wanna save money, eat potatoes (unless you have a complete revulsion to them for some reason).

They're a nutrient dense food, and extremely versatile.
                    I like potatoes, but find I put on abdominal weight when I eat them consistently. So I only eat them as a "cheat" maybe once or twice a month.

5'6"
                    24 year old female
                    My Journal

Comment

Different types of squashes are usually extremely cheap as well. Don't fear potatoes because of the carbs.

Comment

If you are worried about not getting enough protein, I get that - protein is pretty expensive. Protein powder might be a help, even though it's a processed food and not strictly primal. If you're careful about the protein source in the powder, it might go a long way in helping you get your protein without spending a lot of money. Then if you get the rest of your calories from sweet potatoes, fresh fruits and veggies, wild fish (think salmon canned), full fat yogurt, eggs, etc., you can start to build your eating plan around that.

Factory/cheap meat isn't the best choice, but if you eat it, it has been advised that you remove the fat (or skin from chicken) because the icky stuff gets stored in higher concentrations in the fat.

Offal is the term used for the nasty bits of the animal. Liver, heart, kidneys, spleen, tongue, etc. If you're of an experimental mind, these can often be cheaper sources of meat.

It's a shame that eating strictly primal is so much more expensive than eating SAD, but hopefully as more people move to the dark side, there will be more competition for our dollars and healthfully produced products will start to be more affordable.
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Buy fruits and vegetables in season from local farmers markets. It is cheaper when you buy in season and you are benefitting your local farmers. You can buy meat/fish when they are on sale and buy in bulk and freeze what you don't need just yet. If you have a Costco card you can buy many organic foods in bulk. Also, if you have your own backyard try growing your own fruits and vegetables. Even if you are in an apartment you can grow herbs in small places like right by your window. You do not have to eat heaps of meat to do this diet like some people will make you think. You can do the volume of your grocery shopping on fruits and vegetables. Just as long as you are eating real foods and eliminating the bad PUFA's and wheat you are most of the way there.
                          "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Offal, ground meat, raw dairy (if you can find this, it will most likely be cheap and you can almost base your entire diet on it ifyou'd want to), eggz
                            well then

Comment

Originally posted by Balance View Post
                              Buy fruits and vegetables in season from local farmers markets. It is cheaper when you buy in season and you are benefitting your local farmers. You can buy meat/fish when they are on sale and buy in bulk and freeze what you don't need just yet. If you have a Costco card you can buy many organic foods in bulk. Also, if you have your own backyard try growing your own fruits and vegetables. Even if you are in an apartment you can grow herbs in small places like right by your window. You do not have to eat heaps of meat to do this diet like some people will make you think. You can do the volume of your grocery shopping on fruits and vegetables. Just as long as you are eating real foods and eliminating the bad PUFA's and wheat you are most of the way there.
                              Yep, I always shop farmer's markets in the summer!

5'6"
                              24 year old female
                              My Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X