Eat your legumes.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eat your legumes.

Paleo incorrect: legumes are not antinutrients - DrClydeWilson's NUTRITION BLOG

"The Paleo Diet claims that beans and lentils should be excluded from the diet because they contain antinutrients." Yes, and because they are very high in fiber.

"Phytic acid (reduces some micronutrient absorption) is just as high in nuts as they are in legumes, and yet nuts are not excluded from Paleo. " Paleo treats nuts as an acceptable snack, not as a primary food group.

"Tannins are just as high in wine, and oxalates are just as high in spinach, but these are not excluded from Paleo." Primal accepts a glass of wine or tea, Paleo does not. Mark is more giving. Spinach has a lot of redeeming qualities.

ETC.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Shouldn't the question be "why should I eat them?"

I don't see why I need them. I don't eat legumes, I'm healthy. Healthier than I've been in years.
      "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Comment

Originally posted by itchy166 View Post
        Shouldn't the question be "why should I eat them?"

I don't see why I need them. I don't eat legumes, I'm healthy. Healthier than I've been in years.
        At this point, the idea of eating beans just sounds gross. chickpeas might be the only exception.

Comment

Originally posted by specsAreGrok View Post
          At this point, the idea of eating beans just sounds gross. chickpeas might be the only exception.
          Yes, and I miss falafel and chili. I can come up with a Paleo chili, but falafel not so much.
          "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Comment

Legumes bloat me and give me inflammation even more so than grains.

Comment

My boyfriend is vegan, eats lots of legumes and farts all the time. Same thing happens to me if I eat legumes. No thanks!
              Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
                Legumes bloat me and give me inflammation even more so than grains.
                Same for me, plus they taste terrible and have a really unpleasant texture.

Comment

Legume exclusion is probably one of the weaker paleo arguments. If you tolerate them fine they're a good food source. They're consistently correlated with good health and have possibly the highest antioxidant content of any food. Also a good source of magnesium.
                  I'm not a huge fan of them myself besides in soups/stews.

Comment

Legumes are fine as a minor part, as a component of stews etc., but to make them a staple like in the case of vegetarian diets is not the best move.

A seed is a seed and we just didn't evolve to eat them in bulk, the same can be said of one making almonds as a staple in their diet, there are just too many negative dietary impacts.
                    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Legumes give me gas. If I want to add bulk to my nacho chilli-mix, I'll dice some carrots and mushrooms, maybe broccoli, but beans not so much.

Peanut butter... I like peanut butter. Goes good with most things - bananas, apples, spoons, etc. Hard to beat. Can't say I like it better than almond butte, in fact I like them about equally. Just depends how I feel at the time.
                      Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                      https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                      MFP Food Diary:
                      http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                      (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

I miss falafal and hummous occasionally but can live without legumes...and the gas they cause. And as has already been said, I'm healthier than I've ever been, without them in my diet.

I just figure that anything that has to be soaked and then boiled to within an inch of its life for hours to be digested by humans, probably wasn't intended to be digested by humans. I guess it's the same argument against grains which also have to be fairly heavily processed to be digestible.

Comment

Dr Clyde doesn't exactly look all that lean does he..over 15% BF I reckon..
                          Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
                          Height 5'9"
                          Start weight 200lb
                          Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
                          Goal was 168lb's

Comment

I personally don't eat them anymore as well, might nasty things they are. I used to put them in my chili but looking something else to replace them.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Seekins View Post
                              Dr Clyde doesn't exactly look all that lean does he..over 15% BF I reckon..
                              I said the same thing about Robert Lustig, except he's more like 38% bodyfat with 18% of that being in his face.
                              Make America Great Again

Comment

Working...
                              X