No announcement yet.

Giving up sugar...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It takes time. If you have a 'slip' don't give up or quit, and don't beat yourself up. You have a serious addiction. Keep at it and over time you beat it. It slacks off and goes away. For me in about 3 months.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Best way for me to fight cravings is to a) not be hungry, always have food on hand and eat planned meals. b) Drink a lot of water. When you drink a lot of water, you don't want anything, including sugar.
      5-24-10 ................ 5-24-11
      Weight: 281.......... Weight: 203

10-11-10
      Weight: 259
      Total Cholesterol: 243
      LDL: 188
      HDL: 40
      Trig: 96

2-18-11
      Weight: 228
      Total Cholesterol: 239
      LDL: 183 (calc), 138 (actual)
      HDL: 46
      Trig: 49

6-23-11
      Weight: 197.2
      Total Cholesterol: 225
      LDL: 161 (calc), 120 (actual)
      HDL: 56
      Trig: 38

Comment

Two thoughts:
        1. work up to 2-4 TBSP of coconut oil in the morning. It's the ultimate long acting energy source. May help stave off sugar cravings. But, work up to that amount over a month or you will have GI distress.
        2. Supplement with L-glutamine. Check this: How to Beat Sugar Cravings with Glutamine | Food Renegade my wife had great success with this.

Sugar sucks. I hope that helps.

Comment

Another sugar substitute food could be carrots. The local grocery store in my area has the little organic ones for less than $2 per pound package. Carrots can be pretty sweet, have a strong crunchy texture so you get a lot of chewing action and volume in your stomach, with some carbs, but are good for you and not super calorie dense. When I am good and have a pure paleo meal, carrots become the sweet-carb-"dessert" and I am fine just eating them plain. 1 lb carrots = 185 calories.

Butter coffee (1/2 stick butter blended in 2 cups coffee - no sweetener or creamer needed) in the morning also can satisfy appetite and control cravings all day long. 1/2 stick butter is 400 calories.
          Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Comment

Honestly, if I'm going to eat 400 calories worth of fat, I'd rather eat a large chovolate bar over half a stick of butter. Way to ruin my coffee. Bulletproof coffee does nothing for me.
            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Have you tried following some sort of program? I did an 8 week quit sugar program (if you Google Sarah Wilson I Quit Sugar) you can find it. Another good one is the 21 day sugar detox from Balanced Bites.

For me I find that fat is the key. For e.g. if you find yourself craving sugar take a teaspoonful of coconut oil (hard at first but you get used to it), also if you tolerate dairy well then cheese is great, things like cheese and olives or an avocado. Maybe a few nuts... basically fats that will satiate you. Things like berries are great because they are fruits low in sugar, again if you tolerate dairy well then berries and some yoghurt are good.

I think if you're craving sugar and find it hard to give up then doing some sort of program for at least 3 weeks (easing yourself gently into quitting) and then reintroducing is the best way to go.

Also I never have sugar of any sort in my coffee, I make bulletproof coffee using cold brewed coffee and adding coconut oil which I blend together, like this:

For the cold brew coffee:

I make this in my 8 cup french press.

1 cup coarse ground coffee (best thing is to grind the coffee before use) added to the french press and filled with cold filtered water (leave about an inch at the top). Pop the lid on but don't plunge for 24 hours.

After 24 hours plunge and place into jars to keep in the fridge (can keep for about a week or so).

For the bulletproof coffee: 1:3 ratio of cold brew coffee to hot water, pour into your blender and then add about 1 Tbsp of coconut oil or you can use unsalted butter (like kerrygold) or even grass-fed ghee. Blend together and you will get a delicious cup of foamy coffee and I find you don't need any sugar/sweetener at all!

Also herbal teas are great for quitting sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by Kvalhion View Post
                Best way for me to fight cravings is to a) not be hungry, always have food on hand and eat planned meals. b) Drink a lot of water. When you drink a lot of water, you don't want anything, including sugar.
                This thread is real sad... Lets just pound down water risking over hydration which lowers metabolism, lowers energy by flooding your system and displacing electrolytes and glucose, on top of that contributing to countless other symptoms many people experience like migraines, dizziness, polyuria, etc.

I wonder if people realize how generic and orthorexic they sound. You go through all this stress to avoid something that is benign and harmless in nature. The only problem is the obsessive nature displayed in this thread. It's stressful and counterproductive.
                Last edited by Derpamix; 03-08-2013, 05:01 AM.
                Make America Great Again

Comment

You go through all this stress to avoid something that is benign and harmless in nature.
                  It is harmless unless you are one of the unlucky people that get fat because you overconsume sugar in the form of junk foods. Or if your effort to lost weight is calorie restriction via eliminating nutritious foods to undo the damage of eating candy and sweets. Should you stress about a cupcake, candy bar or soda on occasion? No. But when on occasion becomes several times a day and you become obese it is time to take action.

I'm a lot less stressed out now. LOL< being an obese woman is far, FAR more stressful than keeping an eye on my sugar intake.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                  Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                    It is harmless unless you are one of the unlucky people that get fat because you overconsume sugar in the form of junk foods. Or if your effort to lost weight is calorie restriction via eliminating nutritious foods to undo the damage of eating candy and sweets. Should you stress about a cupcake, candy bar or soda on occasion? No. But when on occasion becomes several times a day and you become obese it is time to take action.

I'm a lot less stressed out now. LOL< being an obese woman is far, FAR more stressful than keeping an eye on my sugar intake.
                    That's not the sugars fault, it's because it's coupled with other addictive substances. Candy, muffins, et al. are always accompanied with PUFA and high fat content, yet people choose to blame their compulsive overeating solely on the sugar content.

Sugar + high fat = recipe for overconsumption
                    Make America Great Again

Comment

When people say sugar they really mean anything sweet. Poor sugar gets all the blame.

Comment

I'm sorry what is with this whole defense of sugar?

Sugar absolutely can cause overeating all by its lonesome. Not all candy has a high fat content. Gummies and hard candy are usually fat-free, so is Coca-Cola but it's plenty easy to overconsume on those, no need to add butter or canola oil.

Comment

Back in the day, sugar was used for weightloss. Reason being it is a powerful metabolism booster. The only people getting fat and metabolically deranged are eatin sugar alongside high fat (usually PUFA) and chemicals.

Like i said earlier, try to binge on fruit and sugar alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                            The only people getting fat and metabolically deranged are eatin sugar alongside high fat (usually PUFA) and chemicals.
                            *blinks* What? I'm pretty sure that people get fat because they are subsisting almost entirely on sugar and processed grain carbohydrates. Honestly, SAD is high on everything BUT fat - low-fat is the name of the game in health these days, and has been for quite some time - for as long as obesity has been on the rise here, in fact. I don't believe this is a coincidence.

Natural Sugars (fruit, honey, and similar) and high fat are not the problem. Excessive processed sugars combined with processed GMO grains being the base and majority of the SAD is the problem, and it's really easy to see that.

I am sure there are also plenty of fat people that eat excessive sugar AND excessive grain carbs AND excessive fat, but I think most people in the US at least strive for low-fat and remain forever-fat, because of the over-consumption of addictive grain fillers.
                            yay!

Comment

SAD is certainly not low fat and the fat is skewed in favor of PUFA with an avoidance of saturated. Grains do not = sugar. Nothing you said relates to what i said.

Comment

Uh since when is SAD low fat?
                                Make America Great Again

Comment

Working...
                                X