• Bacon will kill you!!!

Is it me, or is this a no brainer??

BBC News - Processed meat 'early death' link

Discuss!
    http://www.richardlongart.co.uk/

http://www.primalish.net/

“You have to know the past to understand the present.”
    ― Carl Sagan

Then I shall die a very happy man! A well preserved, but happy man!

Comment

It's certainly racking up a few comments, most of them uncomplimentory!

More scare mongering from our glorious BBC, some of it might be pertinent, but I'm with the Doc on this one!

Cheers

Comment

And they offer some sound advice at the end too;

A healthy, balanced diet containing other good sources of iron - such as lentils, beans, eggs, fish, chicken, nuts and breakfast cereals - is advised.

There we have it. More Cheerios anyone?
        http://www.richardlongart.co.uk/

http://www.primalish.net/

“You have to know the past to understand the present.”
        ― Carl Sagan

Comment

Obviously, the more processed the meat is, the more potential it has to be "bad" for you.

I'm going to continue eating my bacon, while the average population continues to eat a diet comprising whole grains that are likely doing more damage than anything else.

Just my opinion of course.
          My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

I limit the processed meat I eat, most often crowding it out with also-wonderful unprocessed meat. Bacon is a treat for me, not a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by Boneidle24seven View Post
              Is it me, or is this a no brainer??

BBC News - Processed meat 'early death' link

Discuss!
              Bacon will only kill you if you forget to chew.... hence choking you to death. Otherwise enjoy.

Comment

If you listen to the news reports, everything will kill you it seems.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
                My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

Processed or cured meat is less healthy than fresh meat. That's why they lump together people who only eat cured meat with people who eat fresh meat in studies - to make red meat look bad.

Comment

Oh noooh! Not Bacon, this nectar of the swine!!! What are we going to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner now?

Serious though, industrial processed meat or processed food in general should be reduced to a minimum if you value your life and health...
                    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Some money quotes:

"It showed people who ate a lot of processed meat were also more likely to smoke,
                      be obese and have other behaviours known to damage health."
                      --Yep which also played a part in death..

"But after adjusting for smoking, obesity and other confounders
                      we THINK there is a risk of eating processed meat."--they THINK oh well that settles it..real scientific

But wait there's more....

Tracy Parker, a heart health dietitian with the British Heart Foundation, said the research suggested processed meat MIGHT be linked to an increased risk of early death, but those who ate more of it in the study also made "other unhealthy lifestyle choices".

"They were found to eat less fruit and vegetables and were more likely to smoke, which may have had an impact on results.

---Gee you think ?!? Seriously so this what constitutes a scientific study these days

Of course the media will take the big scary headline and run with it

Comment

I would have been highly skeptical had I not read other studies that said the same about cured meat products in particular. Bacon falls into the category of things I rarely cook. I usually eat it only for a treat when offered to me by someone (another household member) who fixes it, AND when I am hungry. Since he normally cooks bacon for his midnight snack and I never eat at midnight, I don't eat it often.

I am more likely to eat bacon than potato chips, but neither of us eat them anymore. Heath bars? Maybe a tie if someone were offering.

Comment

The closer an animal or plant is to its original state, most likely, the more healthy it is. Curing in its many forms has been around for since as long as man noticed that salting, dehydrating, etc. made food last longer. The pigs from which the bacon comes from may be factory, pastured (or at least close to pastured), or wild. "Bacon" covers a wide range of quality.

"Bacon will kill you!!!" is barely a statement worth wondering about.
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I'm with Joanie on this one. I don't know if I'd consider real bacon to be a processed meat, in the sense that conventional hot dogs or bologna are. With bacon, you still know exactly what you're getting, it still looks like pig meat, but it's been smoked and cured. Good bacon isn't cured with chemicals anyway. It's almost like calling jerky a processed meat because it's been dried.

Comment

What about smoked bacon? I have always heard rumours that smoked meat or even fish is not good for your health for some reason, but I have been too lazy to check it up...
                              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                              X