What to eat when sick?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to eat when sick?

I caught a dreadful virus this week, giving me a wicked sore throat, thumping headache, fever, cough, runny nose. It took me so much by surprise that I barely knew what hit me.

First I didn't feel like eating at all. Then when I started to feel better my normal primal foods just did not appeal in the usual way. Crunchy cucumber - nah. Fried eggs - nah. Slimy avocado - nah.

For the first time in months and months I actually thought of bread. Maybe it was the idea of something soft and bland? I also found myself going for the sweets - watermelon, honey, dates.

So what have you found is best to eat when sick like this?
    Annie Ups the Ante
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Haven't been sick like that since going primal. What about a hearty casserole or some slow cooked pork belly?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Lemon, natural local honey, radishes, and onion.
      Get a chicken soup

Comment

We do chicken broth, mashed potatoes (or dumplings made from potatoes, or pancakes made from potatoes), apple sauce and/or juice (often we'll water down the juice and freeze it to make a granita), and then lemon/honey/ginger with fizzy water or served hot.

Comment

I eat the same thing I do when I'm well, just have to force myself to eat even if I don't have an appetite.
          F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by baxterannie27 View Post
            Lemon, natural local honey, radishes, and onion.
            Get a chicken soup
            Wow, almost exactly what I wanted to say! Homemade chicken soup, fresh-squeezed lemonade, herbal tea (house fave is Celestial Seasonings Sunburst C, but lots would do, especially anything with black elderberry), the alliums - garlic and onion, and my kids often crave fresh fruit when sick and I let them have it. As a kid I would hit the pears pretty hard, my four have different cravings depending on the kid and sometimes it varies. I like to float some dried, chopped wakame seaweed in my cups of chicken broth.

Glad you are feeling better!
            I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

I recently subsisted on bone broth and an apple cider vinegar beverage.

For the beverage:
              Steep about an inch of thinly sliced fresh ginger in boiling water for 5 minutes
              Mix in:
              one spoon of raw honey
              One cinnamon stick
              1 TBS of apple cider vinegar
              and a few grates of fresh nutmeg

It's surprisingly good

Comment

Eat the fruit. Your body wants it, listen to it. Perfectly natural to eat lots of it several days in a row as needed or available. Mashed or baked potatoes or white rice with butter might curb your bread craving, but there's always tapioca, potato, and rice flour bread. Eat what you can and like right now, not just what you think you should have if it sounds unappealing.

Bone broths with gelatin are a good idea too.
                | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Comment

Bone Broth, absolutly, and whatever else your body wants that's primal. Fruit is good. Give your body a week or more if it wants, to recouperate. Mashed turnip is very close to mashed potato.
                  "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

When I had the flu earlier this year I lived on soft-boiled eggs (with lots of butter and salt) and bone broth. Oh, I also cooked and mashed some apples with cinnamon. I was craving sugar and that took care of it without killing my throat.

Comment

I've been sick for just over a week; no fever, but started with a painful chest cough, now it's trickled to nasal congestion with a just plain annoying cough on top of it.

I've basically been living off of herbal tea. When things were really bad, I made a batch of my least favorite thing ever, but it is the best cure-all: boil water with a cut-up ginger root and some lemon peel in it. Makes very potent tea that helps with any throat/nasal issues. I add a tiny bit of honey and a lot of fresh-squeezed lemon juice to each cup of the stuff.
                      >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
                      >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
                      >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Vegetables, vegetables, and more vegetables. Anytime I'm in a germy environment like an airport and feel a cold coming on, I eat massive amounts of vegetables. Cold decides it can't mess with me and goes away.

Comment

Perfect timing for this post! Got a bad cold and lots of aches & a sore throat...and just drank some cough syrup with HFCS. Didn't even occur to me to check...well, will start fresh tomorrow.

Comment

If you're experiencing nausea I'd go with clear liquids like broth, and the parts of the BRAT diet that are Primal friendly, so basically bananas and unsweetened applesauce.

If you just have no appetite that's pretty normal for when you have a cold or flu. I'd eat the fruit if you want it. Eat any vegetables that you think you can handle, but don't worry too much about how many servings you're getting. For protein, it may sound boring but plain roast chicken breasts are fairly easy on you when you need mild foods, and don't forget soup! Obvously not mainstream canned varieties but homemade soup can be Primal and very comforting.

Feel better soon!
                            Last edited by s-piper; 03-06-2013, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Annie, if nothing appeals to you, your body is probably telling you to fast.
                              Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Comment

Working...
                              X