Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Onions that have been cut safe to use the next day or after?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you eat in restaurants you've eaten onions that have been cut and peeled and stored. To cut and peel an onion every time it was needed would be way too inefficient.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I throw mine in a zip lock sandwich bag and throw it in the fridge where I use it for like a week if need be.

Comment

Snopes says it's a myth.

Comment

Actually some painters will use chopped up onions placed in containers around a room to absorb some of the odors from the paint fumes - they usually leave them out for a few days after the job is done. Onions will help with the paint fumes - they turn weird colors when left out for this purpose. So as long as you are not painting or have some kind of fumes...
          On the other hand they do not absorb germs/bacteria but they should be kept in a sealed container in your fridge for future use - should actually be good for about a week. Sealed container is to keep odors down in your fridge.
          You can leave them out overnight without issue but again I would tend to put them in a container.
          Cheers

Comment

At first raw onions will distract you by making you cry, but their ability to do this is limited. By the next day you've recovered and can focus on how nasty raw onions really are. Blanch, saute, carmelize, etc...problem solved!
            6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
            ― Søren Kierkegaard

Comment

Actually, I intentionally peel and cut the ends off onions, put them in a zip lock bag and store them at least over night in the fridge before using in salads. I think keeping them in the fridge helps to take away the "bite" of the raw onion and makes them sweeter. I especially like red onions in my salad. Any supposed harm from this practice is definitely a myth!
              Ruth

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Comment

Working...
              X