Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gripe - overcooking meat

Hey all!

I just hit the mother lode with a grassfed beef delivery this past weekend. It was all I talked about :-) No gripes on the delicious, delicious meat, but an advanced gripe about my boyfriend who insists upon cooking everything to beyond recognition. I got some ribeyes and I'm just dreading giving him one to cook well done..

Anybody else have a spouse/SO who prefers their meat to die a second death via overcooking?

Originally posted by vintageeats View Post
    Hey all!

I just hit the mother lode with a grassfed beef delivery this past weekend. It was all I talked about :-) No gripes on the delicious, delicious meat, but an advanced gripe about my boyfriend who insists upon cooking everything to beyond recognition. I got some ribeyes and I'm just dreading giving him one to cook well done..

Anybody else have a spouse/SO who prefers their meat to die a second death via overcooking?
    The simple solution is cooking it yourself. He should also be understanding of the fact that you like meat rare and prepare it the way you prefer it.

If he's not, shoulder him aside and enjoy a nice rare ribeye!
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonwolf View Post
      The simple solution is cooking it yourself. He should also be understanding of the fact that you like meat rare and prepare it the way you prefer it.

If he's not, shoulder him aside and enjoy a nice rare ribeye!
      Oh, I do. I've already told him to pull my meat off the stove when he still thinks it's raw ;-) Also have no qualms about shouldering aside for bloody meat. Mm.

Comment

I like to wave my steaks in the general direction of the flames.. Hubby on the other hand has to have his cooked beyond well done... Even fillet steak *cry*
        i just wait till his is almost done before putting mine on...
        Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Do not let him cook your steak.

Or, only let him slow-cook food......

Oh, I do. I've already told him to pull my meat off the stove when he still thinks it's raw ;-) Also have no qualms about shouldering aside for bloody meat. Mm.
          I think the trick is to leave your steak out until his is mostly cooked (rather than take it out early). That way you can plate up together.
          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
          bloodorchid is always right

Comment

My ex used to cook hamburgers until they were hard and dry as hockey pucks. I only date men who like juicy meat since then.

Comment

Oh, you poor thing!! At this point, we actually are eating the odd steak cold-ass raw with some Redmond seasoned salt and a sharp knife for slicing thin-thin slices and nothing more...

I am glad to hear that you have no qualms about pushing your SO to the side when it comes time for your steak to kiss the flames. But don't complain too much about how he likes his - you, too, have a strong preference here. As long as you get yours the way you like it, you both can enjoy dinner. But I know what you mean...

My best friend - same way. She is so fat-phobic that she only gets the most lean of cuts, and then is surprised when they are dry, dry, dry, after the "thorough" cooking they need to become safe to eat, you know.
              I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
                Oh, you poor thing!! At this point, we actually are eating the odd steak cold-ass raw with some Redmond seasoned salt and a sharp knife for slicing thin-thin slices and nothing more...
                Also good with fresh homemade mayonnaise.

Comment

My wife insists on her steak being trimmed of fat and cooked until all signs of life have been extinguished. I really don't know how she tells a nice piece of meat from a bad one.

I buy eye fillet (think you might call it filet) for her because it is lean and scotch fillet (rib eye?) for me for the fat and gristle. Was annoyed recently when my son cooked the scotch fillet for my wife and him and served me the eye fillet then they proceeded to cut off all the fat. Of course, I snaffled it
                  Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Thankfully, no! He prefers it even rarer than I do. I like a crispy char on the outside and at least a little pink on the inside, even a lot pink is OK.

For some reason though, fish always seems to get away from him on the grill. Most stove top/oven cooking methods are a little more forgiving of well done fish. The grill - not so much.
                    50yo, 5'3"
                    SW-195
                    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Originally posted by Cierra
                      Last night, my boyfriend (who is in NO way Primal) asked me to make SLOPPY JOES out of my grassfed ground beef for him. I complied and made 3oz sloppy grassfed joes rolled up in a flaky buttermilk biscuit crust. He took like 3 bites, said it was gross, an asked for a bowl of Raisin Bran. I couldn't even salvage the meat since the joe sauce was thickened with corn starch and flour. I had to garbage dispose ALL OF IT.
                      *ASKED* for a bowl of Raisin Bran? I would have advised him where he can locate the kitchen and reminded him to clean up after himself. OMG.

Thankfully, my mister was raised by a mom who was into eating some weird shit (there's a story about boiled seahorses) and hasn't eaten 'four-footed critters' in 20-something years, so he graciously accepts whatever cooked meat I put on his plate. I prefer my steaks on the way rare side of medium, and he's grown to appreciate it.

Chicken, though - different story. If it shows even the slightest hint of pink near the bone, he asks I cook it more...then whinges a bit that it's dry when he does eat it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cierra
                        Last night, my boyfriend (who is in NO way Primal) asked me to make SLOPPY JOES out of my grassfed ground beef for him. I complied and made 3oz sloppy grassfed joes rolled up in a flaky buttermilk biscuit crust. He took like 3 bites, said it was gross, an asked for a bowl of Raisin Bran. I couldn't even salvage the meat since the joe sauce was thickened with corn starch and flour. I had to garbage dispose ALL OF IT.
                        Oh hell no. >.> I would be quite ruffled if my boyfriend said my cooking was gross, especially if it was something I made special for him that I couldn't eat! :< The nerve!
                        yay!

Comment

Originally posted by qqemokitty View Post
                          Oh hell no. >.> I would be quite ruffled if my boyfriend said my cooking was gross, especially if it was something I made special for him that I couldn't eat! :< The nerve!
                          Originally posted by lemontwisst View Post
                          *ASKED* for a bowl of Raisin Bran? I would have advised him where he can locate the kitchen and reminded him to clean up after himself. OMG.
                          Word! WORD. Cierra, that behavior is NOT cool - I hope you gave him an earful?

For the record, mine doesn't call anything gross - except to kid around with me about the amount of meat I'm eating/losing weight on - but he does request that his food gets cooked longer. I just let him cook it. Putting mine in at the very end is a great suggestion, and one I should have thought of long ago.

Originally posted by lemontwisst View Post
                          Thankfully, my mister was raised by a mom who was into eating some weird shit (there's a story about boiled seahorses)
                          Whoooa, that is a story I want to hear.

Comment

Whoooa, that is a story I want to hear.
                            I guess she went through a phase of (way) alternative therapies when dealing with a breast cancer scare way back when...one of mister's good friends - he lived down the street - came over one day and said the house smelled like hot, boiled death. He went through the kitchen to try and find mister to go outside and play (they were 10 or so) and said there was a pot of seahorses bubbling away on the stovetop. He admitted it was a long time before he went over for dinner again.

She totally copped to it, although she said used it as tea, never ate the seahorses.

I'd like to know where the hell to buy dried seahorses.

Comment

For the record, mine doesn't call anything gross -
                              Smart man! Mine has taken a cue from my father, who is gracious to a fault sometimes. His code for gross is "that was good, but we don't have to have it again". LOL. For some reason though, since I started cooking primal, I never hear that any more. It's more likely to be "Damn, baby, you hit it out of the ballpark again". He loves that I'm never trying to force "healthy" portions of meat on him any more.

When the kiddos were little we trained them to say, " I think that might be too sophisticated for my palate", rather than "gross". Completely hilarious coming out of a 4yo!
                              50yo, 5'3"
                              SW-195
                              CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                              GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Working...
                              X